OT: I bet the Americans on here don't know who wrote the music to your national anthem?

Page 2 of 3
On 01/06/2016 20:09, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

LOL
--
Bod

Actually I bet most people do know that it was originally an old english drinking song
On 01/06/2016 14:52, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Really? That surprises me. I certainly have only just found out myself.
--
Bod

It is a common thing on TV history shows. We also have written our own words to "God save the queen" so we have something to sing while you are paying homage to your silliest anachronism. ;-)
A queen? in 2016? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ

"God save the queen We mean it man And there is no future In England's dreaming
No future, no future, No future for you No future, no future, No future for me"
'God Save the Queen' v 2.0
On 01/06/2016 19:37, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Why Do Americans Love the British Royal Family? - Room for Debate ... www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/.../why-do-americans-love-the-british-royal-family 31 May 2012 - Americans can't get enough of the British royal family. We saw this in 1981 when Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer, more recently ...
--
Bod

They like the fashionable princesses, particularly the hot ones. Americans still liked Diana when the queen was calling her a strumpet and Charles had taken up with the dog faced woman. They still think the whole institution is pretty silly as anything more than a taxpayer funded Kardashian show.
On 02/06/2016 06:56, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I hear that Prince Harry is very popular in the US. He definitely deserves respect for setting up the Invictus games, IMO.
--
Bod

On 06/02/2016 12:01 AM, Bod wrote:

Harry? He's the one with the Hakenkreutz, right?

We like the idea that he was willing to put his ass on the line in the military when it would have been easy to just hang around the palace and get his picture taken in his uniform.
On 02/06/2016 15:10, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Indeed.
--
Bod

Putting his ass on the line, following in the footsteps of his uncle Andrew: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Andrew,_Duke_of_York#Falklands_War
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:02:46 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I am not sure you can compare the Falklands with Afghanistan but both involved live fire.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Andrew was a combat helicopter pilot, whose job was to protect naval vessels by getting *between* them and the Argentine missile boats so that the Exocets would lock onto his helicopter instead of his ship, then ascend enough that the missiles would miss both ship and helo.
I don't mind admitting that takes bigger stones than I have.
On 02/06/2016 17:02, Doug Miller wrote:

Yup.
--
Bod

On 06/01/2016 11:40 PM, Bod wrote:

The British royalty is amusing; our self-proclaimed Queen is merely a sad old lying hag who leaves disasters in her trail.
On 06/01/2016 10:19 AM, Bod wrote:

That's a factoid you pick up in grammar school iirc. Stealing melodies is a time honored tradition. I once was bicycling through Denver on a Sunday morning when a church carillon opened up with what I later learned is called 'Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHI3ATW9Co

I recognized the tune and knew the lyrics, but they definitely weren't some Christian hymn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmNfQQ6paYg

I though there was hope for Denver...
| Actually I bet most people do know that it was originally an old | english drinking song
I had no idea. Most Americans can't list the 3 branches of government. I doubt very much that most would even know what the Star Spangled Banner is, unless you gave them a clue by explaining that it's the official song of the American Sporting Event Manufacturing Industry.
I find the English tend to be far more well informed about any number of things, especially history and the language. Both are fondly treasured belongings to them, while for us they're just conveniences.
On the other hand, when I was in England they seemed to think that Schlitz was a superior beer to their own offerings. Their "American" cigarettes were fakes, made of junk tobacco. And they were eating Marmite. So they can't be all that bright. :)
On 02/06/2016 17:21, Mayayana wrote:

Marmite is like the Aussies Vegemite and you either love em or hate them.
--
Bod

Unbelieveble nonsense from Oren. As usual.
(Oren tries to make himself feel better by putting down the British...)
How does that read, Oren?