OT? Hydraulic Fluid

I need some hydraulic fluid for an old backhoe I just bought. The owner said he used AW 46 fluid; my local store stocks ISO 46. Are they the same thing?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Yes

Reply to
dpb

I knew these guys with a leaky hydralic system on a trash truck and they used to just dump used motor oil in it.

Reply to
lawrence.jamesnc

Well, as the prelude to the above charts says, "viscosity is the key" but generally detergent-type motor oils aren't recommended altho I've just learned in another group in the last week there's a large class of hydrostatic tranny's in ZTRs and similar gear that does spec 20W50 oil for the hydraulics. I suppose if one starts with it and stays, there's not the likelihood of the moisture issues that could occur if switched after years of non-detergent.

I'd not like to think what used oil is doing for the longevity of the system they're putting it in--"you can pays me now or pays me later!" probably holds; they may save some money in the short term but odds are there are major repairs down the road and it might just be cheaper to fix the leak(s) first.

The manlift main lift and extend cylinders developed seal leaks here; the extend cylinder is a 2" rod/3" bore with 174" stroke; the system capacity is 70 US gal so one can lose a lot of hydraulic oil in a short time which ain't cheap...the $40+/- seal kit looks pretty good in comparison.

Reply to
dpb