OT: Hybrid cars make no economical sense

Page 8 of 13

The reason the EV1 "worked" is the true cost was isolated from the customer by the lease.
I am really serious about making my Honda, electric but I can't make the numbers work. Even with $4 gas, $3000 worth of batteries (28 deep cycle units) that only last about 3 years gobble up most of the savings if everything else was free. If I drive my Honda in a way that produces the performance I get from an electric it gets about 35-38 MPG. I know they talk about electrics that will go over 100 miles on a charge and will go 70-80 MPH ... but not at the same time!

The problem wasn't support. I think instead they had a fear of success!
olddog wrote:

You know, I really like cars and documentaries - I'll give it another try. Let me tell you though, the sight of Ed Begleys Jr. pasty mug with that dopey expression of his just ruined it for me. There's something about that guy... :-)

Well, Olddog, the reality is that when the conditions are right the electric car will happen, if conditions ain't right, it won't. Whining won't change this timetable, some folks ain't got no patience. :-)
Oh well, GM has made some mistakes in the past and will continue to do so - if they're still in business. My favorite GM mistake was when they came out with their own version of a Fiat Coupe - unfortunately, their version wasn't quite as reliable or durable. :-)

peace bro! dsi1 aka meat

The public gets what they want and they seem to want electric cars. I think the hybrid is the way to go. A plug in hybrid...so much the better. I wish mine was plug-in!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oh goodie, thanks for clearing that up! :-) I fully thought that one might have to have a 220V dedicated charging station installed. You're so right - I do say some silly things! :-) What you're saying is that charging an electric car is much like making toast - just plug that sucker in!
All I gotta do is buy one of those yellow 50 feet extension cord from the Ace hardware down the street... Good thing my parking is relatively close to my condo - 50 ft would be just about right! :-) Hopefully, nobody else in the complex will go electric as a bunch of electric extension cord strung throughout the parking lot could make driving in and out difficult.
The good thing is that if the batteries need changing the local Sears should be able to handle this - just buy a whole bunch of Diehards, right? Good thing batteries require no special handling in disposal and what harm could a few million tons in the landfill be anyway?
No doubt Joe the mechanic will have no problems with servicing the car and motors and power control boxes can be had at your local Checkers, I mean how complex could the power control on an electric car be - it's just like a light switch, right? :-)

A plug in electric with reasonable performance will have around 27KWH of battery. (typically 28 golf cart batteries in old technology cars) That is probably more in high tech cars these days. At 120v you will be looking at 15-16 hours to get that much power out of a 20a circuit, loaded at 80%. If you want a fast (4 hour) charge you will be looking at something more like an electric range outlet. Plan on this being $4 or so per charge so it is far from "free".

It would appear that someone has turned your "dimmer switch" almost all the way down.
Problem with an all-electric is that you keep deep-cycling the batteries. And, yes, I saw the movie. More than once.
On Dec 10, 9:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That ASSUMES that battery technology would have progressed faster than it has,and I don't believe that is true.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think you're right and wrong. For some people they make no sense. The up front cost is too high and, if you don't drive them correctly they (my 2006 Prius) the gas milage can be less than spectacular. My wife insisted on having it and she loves it. It's a very peppy little car.
She only manages about 29 mpg in the city. I can get around 40 mpg in the city. I put the a/c on 78 degrees and don't accelerate quickly. Time my approach to stop lights. My wife puts the a/c on max and she likes to jump from light to light. The way you drive a Prius makes the difference.
On the hwy I can get up to, believe it or not, 60 mpg. I stay at about 65 mph and use the cruse control. I drove from Austin to NYC and easily average between 55 to 60 mpg. And they are supposed to do better in the city.(?)
The battery has a 150,000 mile or 10 years warranty and she never keeps her car that long. That would be a miracle.
Toyota got this one right!
Olddog (very happy Prius owner)
and all the dollar went to the Japs. fine.

but they make these in the us. should i buy a crappy us car and support the weasels?
olddog

Or...I could buy a GM SUV and send all my money to the Saudis!
Olddog

Those are made in Mexico.
Bob

But the gas comes from oil that comes from the Middle East, and that is where Olddog's money will be going :-).
Hybrid cars aren't made to be efficient or economical. They are made to make the <insert political group of your choice> happy by being able to boast about helping the environment. Eventually the car makers will get them to the point where they really are economical and efficient and make sense. Maybe. Or maybe they will find some other source of energy to move cars around besides fossil fuel or electricity?
Zootal wrote:

There's the Fred Flintstone method.
S.
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Actually I was thinking of horses and mules :-)

(?) Why did I average over 60 mpg on my last trip to NYC? Seems pretty efficient to me. Now the economical part I understand. Gas needs to be >2.90/gal to make real economical sense.
Olddog

Too bad the car will wear out before you make back your additional investment.
By the time you might make back your investment, it'll be time to get a new battery assembly and then you'll be playing catchup again.