OT: Hybrid cars make no economical sense

Page 5 of 13

Oh by the way don't restart that "There is no global warming problem" and 'It's all a conspiracy" nonsense! It doesn't matter if it's industrial China, Los-Angeles smog, or burning down forests in S.America; we ARE using up the resources of this planet in a way that is badly affecting it's health. Thereby affecting our own (human) and other living creatures, health. Would we dare to be around in say 100 years time when a great, great grandchild might ask "What did you do when all the people couldn't breath cos the temperature in New York went to 150 degrees and the streets melted?
terry wrote:

Tell these folks.
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id !58072e-802a-23ad-45f0-274616db87e6
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5laabm
--
"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as
possible from one class of citizens to give it to the other." ~ Voltaire
badgolferman wrote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id !58072e-802a-23ad-45f0-274616db87e6
The global warming issue is rapidly losing support if you follow the media/news. 2008 has tentatively been listed as the coldest year in a decade. We don't here much from Al Gore either, now that the ball is starting to swing the other way. Of course, if I could make 100 million dollars, like Gore did on global warming, I too would stretch the facts a bit too.
Best way to save the planet is to not have kids!
paul
Paul Oman wrote:

You could tell the pendulum was reversing when the name of the imminent peril was changed from "global warming" to "climate change."
The latter can be a rallying cry no matter what the temperature does.
To those involved, the temperature (or climate) is really irrelevant; what matters is membership in a mass movement so their own pitiful lives can have meaning.
HeyBub wrote:

You mean...my life can have meaning?
Jus' wonderin'
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

Absolutely! But as long as you're going to the trouble, why not the "Free Love Society," or "Bra-less Is Good-ness Association." That way, we'll all benefit.
HeyBub wrote:

    That's what you think.
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
HeyBub wrote:

Well, unless you have extraordinarily large, floppy... ears...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yea you might inform the Ice caps about the nonexistence of global warming! Idiot!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can't talk to an ice cap.
Look, "global warming" is either a natural event or it's caused by human activity. There're reasonable arguments for either situation. In fact, there's even some evidence that warming is caused by BOTH.
We can spend precious treasure to deal with the effects of global warming or spend treasure to reduce the human causes. Spending money to ameliorate natural causes is not on the table.
Now if we spend the money to deal with the human causes and warming is actually caused by sunspots, were screwed. If we spend the money to deal with the effects (i.e., move inland, etc.) we're golden.
So, I say ignore the CAUSE (causes?) of global warming; deal with the consequences.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:18:39 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

And if you happen to live in a country that is likely to end up mostly if not completely submerged? Beyond that do you realize what percentage of the population now lives close to the coasts?
You've got a spare room right?
Rick Brandt wrote:

1. I don't live in a country that's going to be submerged, so that issue doesn't affect me.
2. I live in a city that's more than 60' above existing sea level, so I won't be affected period. New Orleans is about 20 feet below sea level and they (mostly) make out okay.
3. I have several spare rooms that I could rent out. Did you want to reserve one?
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:55:21 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

That's fine, but when you recommend what "we" should do about a situation based completely on how "you" are personally affected it does diminish your argument a bit.
Rick Brandt wrote:

Yep. I agree. But at least my argument is defensible.
Compare my argument to those who would impose massivly-disruptive "solutions" based on ill-defined (and possibly non-existent) threats?
Further, my proposal has the weight of historical efficacy behind it. Adam Smith settled this hash in the late 18th Century when he proposed the concept of the "Invisible Hand." Specifically, when each individual does what's best for himself, the entire society prospers. When society does what is best for society, civilization suffers.
When anybody says "It's for the good of everybody," hold on to your wallet.
HeyBub wrote:

    I think that invisible hand is a comin' to knock us on our butts.     It never ceases to amaze me how people believe what they want to believe. We can plan for "massively-disruptive 'solutions'" or we can have them imposed on us. I remember the oil embargo of 1973, then in 1979. That was a walk in the park compared to what's coming.     We're not too good at learning from history.
Steve

Makes sense for the most part as individualism has served American society well and brought us the great wealth and quality of life we enjoy today. The Profit Motive combined with a moral base that espouses charity is the most powerful force for good. Its when people get lazy (or are restricted by govt regulation) to profit personally, then at the same time decide that the govt should do all charatible giving (European model) well this is a recipe for decay. The decline of individualism is a bad thing, and a govt that now wants to own the corporations born of that individualism is a bad thing.
RickH wrote:

    Are you saying Europe has decayed?
Steve
--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

No. But I would not want to try to run my business under European regulations, given the choice I'd still rather open a plant here than in Switzerland. And as for charitable giving the numbers show that Europeans contribute less personally than Americans (the sub middle class of which wind up giving the largest percentages). But perhaps the governments contribute more via social programs and health care that the people figure they wont bother. I personally think its best for society if individuals, defects and all, have more power than the government or masses of corporate shareholders lobbying for the treasury funded by inividual taxes. A bottom up approach.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd like to but the Mars ice caps that are also melting are too far away!
--
Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything. ~
Frank Dane

This just confirms the far reaching effects of global warming!