OT: Hybrid cars make no economical sense

Page 13 of 13

I used to have a Scirocco - one of my favorite cars - a great drive train but the body had the worst rusting of any car I've owned. My car had the usual fuse box problems and the fuel pump would cut out at the worst times. I wish I had one of those first series cars now.

I used to have an Alfa with a transaxle/clutch in the rear. Icky shifter feel and prone to bad driveshaft vibrations. A sophisticated DeDeon suspension with inboard disks but it all seemed rather pointless. Maybe it would have been great if it worked but I was never able to get it all balanced. That was a bad scene...

On this note, Toyota announced today that their plans for completing a new Prius plant in Miss., (first time Prius was to be made in US), will be cancelled.
Prius sales are down 48 percent now that gas is back below 1.50 per gallon.
In these times it seems the best cars economically are the efficient ones in the middle, whereas those at the mileage extremes (good or bad) Prius or Hummer, will always be more at the mercy of fuel prices. A good value, relatively efficient, standard vehicle at a great price.