OT: Hurricanes, New Orleans

Page 5 of 5

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

It would include ALL income that is included in AGI which also includes cap gains and qualified dividends.

Of course WB is the person calling for an increase in estate taxes largely because he has already said he is giving all his money away to a trust (which ensures kids retain control of B-H when he does pass on) so he won't be paying any.
Don Klipstein wrote:

That's a problem - "percentage." Why should one pay a "percentage" of anything. You don't pay a percentage of anything for a jar of peanut butter or a ticket to the opera. About the only other place where a percentage of your income is involved is tithing to the church and, believe me, the government doesn't compare to religion.
I, myself, favor a flat-flat tax: that is, everybody pays the same dollar amount.
Let's see, the federal budget is about $2,700 billion. That works out to about $9,000 for each person. I admit, there are obvious problems with this scheme, but there are solutions.
For example, what about a poor person who doesn't HAVE $9,000?
Simple: They could donate blood platelets. At $1,000 per unit, the person could donate once a month for nine months and have their tax bill for the year paid up.
But, one might ask, what about the 20-year old mother of four? It would be cruel to take blood from a toddler and the mother herself can't give FIVE units of platelets a month! Absolutely! But she could give a kidney. One kidney would be worth about five years worth of taxes for her and her brood.
Now I know what some will say; what happens after five years? Do we insist on her OTHER kidney? Of course not - that would be stupid.
After five years, she could contribute a cornea and be good for five years more!
By that time, many of her children would be having children of their own, thereby relieving her of further responsibility.
I'm a little fuzzy on the mechanism for withholding...
But, all in all, the flat-flat tax has much to recommend it.

Comedy GOLD! LOL
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You may laugh, but many years ago I sent this suggestion to George McGovern. You may recall he wanted, as the first job of his administration, to send every one a check for $1,000! This was back when there were about 200 million people and the budget was $200 billion. I simply reversed his plan.
Never got an answer.
I also sent him an alternate, compromise, plan for school bussing. My plan was dirt simple: kids go to the school closest to their homes BUT take a two hour detour, each way, through a differing ethnic neighborhood. Using my plan, both sides get what they want: the conservatives get to have their kids close to home and the liberals get to have kids on school busses for four hours a day.
He didn't respond to that suggestion either.

In the lean times, people can trade those teeth "grills" in for money. Gold can bring a couple of dollars.

what's needed in Florida is proper drainage systems. I live in central Florida.
NOLA is different,they live in a depression;BELOW sea level.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

was called "The Everglades". Corps of Engineers and "big sugar" fixed that, as well.

Not sugar, but when the "glades" were taken over by the government.
They changed the natural flow on a sea of grass.
Land sold then for farms, now will need to be bought back.
Those billions to fix and pay for the land, fix the glades!!

I think it is around $87 Billion that we are paying US Sugar

Florida is dealing with 2 issues, Draining away storm water but still maintaining enough wetland to recharge the aquifers. The real answer is not to drain the swamps but there is too much money in development to stop it. I suppose they might slow down when we run out of water.

How about New Jersey folks?
Not that New Jersey has had an outright hurricane strike since about 104-105 years ago, but hurricanes ain't the only storms that cause severe beach erosion!
As in "Nor'easters", which batter the USA East Coast mainly near and above Cape Hatteras NC, generally from late October to early May, with much of the historic worst ones in March?
==================== Oh, and isn't about 63% of the entire USA that was ever known to be flooded expected to endure a "100 year flood" within the next 100 years? I think that those who live in 100 and especially 500 year floodplains should not burden the taxpayers for anything, except maybe for assistance to move to safer ground!
And I think that anyone having a home or business on the USA coast anywhere from the Rio Grande to Virginia Beach needs to be doing so at their own risk of hurricanes! And anyone having a home or business on the USA East Coast around or north of Cape Hatteras needs to do so at their own risk from Nor'easters! And anyone having a home or business on the USA West Coast needs to do so at their own risk from the storms that hit there, especially the ones that are worsened by El Nino (mainly Southern CA) and La Nina (mainly north of SF).
Also, I think that American taxpayers should not be burdened to help any fellow Americans that are stricken by an earthquake after moving into "earthquake country".

They have done that in some places that are prone to river flooding in the Midwest. Picked up whole towns and moved them to higher ground. Told those who stayed they were welcome to do so, but don't expect any help beyond some sandbags next time the a river rose.
wrote in part:

How about the Atlantic Coast above the hurricane-bitten stretch, where ferocious nor'easters occaisionally occur? Every couple of decades, one produces sustained lower-Cat-1 hurricane force wind on the coast, and hits a stretch hundreds of miles long with several hours of wind having sustained 55-plus MPH and gusts over 65. The storm surge can reach 6, maybe 8 feet. The damage from such a nor'easter is usually like that a Cat-2 hurricane, but more widespread.