OT: Hurricanes, New Orleans

Page 4 of 5

Vietnam has dibs on New Orleans.
They can have it. Dig around it, take a big chinese scoop shovel and get it the fuck out of here..

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:27:14 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Bullshite. Tell what Pelosi and Reid (aka in NV as PINKY, described as Pelosi in a dress) have DONE since the mid term election?
Any answer to a campaign promise?

Oren wrote:

Well, there's the economy. The economy was pretty good for the first six years of the Bush administration, in spite of 9-11, Katrina, the war, etc.
Then the Democrats took over. It's only taken them 18 months to fuck it up - housing mess, oil prices, opera tickets.
wrote in message

thank idiots like lindsey graham head of republicans in congress, who has stonewalled nearly everything democrats have tried to do.
thank you Lindsey Graham!!!

Thank the Dems for teaching Lindsey Graham everything he knows about stonewalling. At least the GOP take their lumps without (quite) as much whining. BTW: What has been stonewalled?

Excuse me? Are you deaf?
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Whatever-Happened-to-the-A-by-Marc-McDonald-080820-245.html

See, whining about how the GOP is whining. I rest my case.
KLS wrote:

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Whatever-Happened-to-the-A-by-Marc-McDonald-080820-245.html
An online opinion piece? That's a good, solid bit of damning evidence.
--
Dave
Hurricanes, New Orleans:

Amen to that.
LMAO, yeah, via the internet that he invented.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Urban legend.....Gore never claimed to have invented the Internet. Granted, he is dopey at the podium.

Close enough . Here's what he DID say.
GORE: Well, I will be offering -- I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.
But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
During a quarter century of public service, including most of it long before I came into my current job, I have worked to try to improve the quality of life in our country and in our world. And what I've seen during that experience is an emerging future that's very exciting, about which I'm very optimistic, and toward which I want to lead.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Well, any pol in the neighborhood can say they "took the initiative", along with many others, in building some monster - interstate highway system, hospital, stadium, etc. Only means they were involved in facilitating. I don't believe Gore ever meant to say he created it. Ike took the initiative in building interstate highway sys, but he didn't build it.
mainly:

Since Gore was the main force in Congress for Fedeal involvement to expand the Arpanet into what back then was referred to as the "Information Superhighway", I see the "I Invented the Internet" exaggeration to be mostly exaggeration by opponents of Gore.
Snopes.com even has an article on this, titled "Internet of Lies"!

Right, he didn't invent it, he created it.
His exact words are "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
Gore might have taxed the rich, to pay for the repairs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sounds good but . . . .
I read this yesterday
from: <http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/06in01etr.xls , for tax year 2006:
Top Total Income Tax Revenue (%) Adjusted Gross Income Share (%) 50% 97.01 87.49 25% 86.27 68.16 10% 70.79 47.32 5% 60.14 36.66 1% 39.89 22.06
So, from the IRS data: the bottom 50% are making 12.5% of adjusted gross income and paying less than 3% of all income taxes while the top 1% are making 22% of adjusted gross income while paying nearly 40% of all federal income taxes.
Oh, and just to further emphasize how the Bush tax cuts have so benefited the rich, the following are the data for the tax years from 2000 to 2006
Year Total Income Tax (%) AGI Share (%) Ratio (Tax/AGI) 2000 37.42 20.81 1.80 2001 33.89 17.53 1.93 2002 33.71 16.12 2.09 2003 34.27 16.77 2.04 2004 36.89 19.00 1.94 2005 39.38 21.20 1.86 2006 39.89 22.06 1.81
So, despite the "massive tax cuts to benefit the wealthy", the % share of taxes relative to the % share of AGI has hardly moved, and during the years immediately following 9/11 when the left-wing was bleating about how the rich were benefiting from the tax cuts for the wealthy, the top 1% were actually paying a greater share of their income to the treasury than they were during the last year of the Clinton presidency.

Total effective tax rate (individual PLUS Social Security did the same. In 2003 (last I had available to me) the total effective tax rate for the lowest quintile fell from 6.4 in 2000 to 4.8% in '03. Second quintile fell from 13.3 to 9.8. Which of course put the kibosh to the suggestion that FICA and SS taxes messed up the lower wage earners.