OT: Hurricanes, New Orleans

Page 3 of 5

It would be wasted in parts of NO also. It is crazy to rebuild below the natural waterline. I don't want my tax $$$ wasted in either place.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Just to tilt toward folks who live there, land around the Miss. delta has sunk sutstantially, and continues to do so. It's a little crazy to expect an entire population to abandon a city and go elsewhere. There aren't many areas of the US that don't have some threat by natural forces. Heck, how many folks in "tornado alley" get creamed more than once?

The randomly occurring natural disasters I have less trouble rebuilding. Tornadoes, hurricanes, etc., come and go. So rebuild these areas (with the appropriate building code changes to at least make Mom Nature work harder). The "scheduled disasters" along rivers that flood pretty much every year are the ones that make me scratch my head.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, we can be safe......abandon all coastal cities not higher than 30" above seal level, all earthquake zones, active volcano zones, anywhere within 10 mi. of a tornato path, and river flood plains. Don't exactly know what would be left; mebbe a corner of Iowa :o)

Weren't many of the spring floods this year in Iowa? Cuts that out.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Northwest might be okay. If not, there is always Alaska. Lots of hills, But we need that for oil drilling. But earthquakes and volcanoes rule that out.........invade Canada?

We have choices in life. One choice is to build your house either above or below sea level. Which one seems smarter to you? How can you justify re-building below? If the people are out, keep them out and help them move to higher ground. Please don't use my tax dollars for dumb, idiotic projects.
As one who lives in this alledged 'tornado alley' all my life, I can assure you it's not the same. If we see a tornado (and in my 50 years, i've never actually seen one) all we have to do is take a few steps sideways. And it goes by. yes, occasionally one will damage some houses or a town, but we can get out of the way. But to live in a hole in the ground next to an ocean, it just plum stupid. You can't sidestep a hurricane. BUT, on the other hand, you do get SEVERAL days notice and can leave. It is the dumb bastards choice not to leave when death and destruction are coming and you've been given nearly a weeks notice. And BTW, i've also never known any place in the 'alley' to get hit more than once.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Ditto, 46 years in the midwest and have never seen a funnel cloud. Do not personally know anyone who has and have never seen a building damaged by one except on TV. There is zero comparison to be made.
Rick Brandt wrote:

I lived in the midwest a long time, as well. Lived within 5 mi of one track, saw one that never touched down. Went to the cellar a few times when warnings were issued and conditions ominous. The Palm Sunday tornado in northern Indiana was a week before I got married. Family lived there, so we toured on our honeymoon. An incredible, ominous thing to see. For many years afterward, you could still see the path in places where trees were mowed down.
Rick Brandt wrote:

Never seen a funnel cloud in person, and hope never to do so. I have seen the aftermath several times. It's ain't pretty (cheap cookie-cutters pulled right off their barely-to-code foundations), but it is almost always very localized, affecting a few hundred people at most. The system can handle that. It can't handle refugees by the thousands.
-- aem sends...
Rick Brandt wrote:

I actually saw one here in northern Delaware a few years ago. It was ripping up a school gym as I drove by and also damaged 6 houses. Looked like a scene out of the Wizard of Oz.
I've also seen houses flooded out here when a creek overflowed.
But, it is insanity to rebuild in an area that's prone to be inundated. I don't care if someone is stupid enough to do it, just don't expect the rest of us to pay for it.

Quite a minority actually! The worst part of north-central Oklahoma has maybe 8 tornadoes per 10,000 square miles per year, and most of those tornadoes destroying around or under a square mile?
I would only subsidize rebuilding for those making use of farmland there, but that does appear to me safer than the USA coastline anywhere from Brownsville to Boston!
Norminn wrote:

I'm sure someone has run the numbers.
It would probably cost too much to bring the Iraqis over here to kill them.

Ditto here. I remember watching the news in Houston, c. 1982-1985, and seeing the news footage of people sloshing around in flooded homes. One woman actually said "This is the THIRD time in 5 years! It's like we belong to the 'Flood of the Month Club'. What we need is a HILL!"
-Zz
So, with the Dems in control on Congress, who are supposed to be so concerned about the poor folks in NO, why are there no bills being passed to fully upgrade all the levies to cat 5? And if Gustav floods the place again, who will be to blame this time?
Bush is still in office so blame him. Gore would have re-routed the storm.

thank idiots like lindsey graham head of republicans in congress, who has stonewalled nearly everything democrats have tried to do.
the larger issue, if global warming is true no matter what the cause should new orleans be rebuilt at all? and what of all the other coastal citys like new york? theres the question of affordability. our country is on its way to bankruptcy, we cant afford to do everything for everyone in the entire world if 1/3 of our population is living in with water lapping at their doors.
doesnt matter if global warming is man made or totally natural.........
in both cases the citys still flood
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What a rash attack of common sense :o)
the larger issue, if global warming is true no matter what the cause should new orleans be rebuilt at all? and what of all the other coastal citys like new york? theres the question of affordability. our country is on its way to bankruptcy, we cant afford to do everything for everyone in the entire world if 1/3 of our population is living in with water lapping at their doors.
Sure, cities flood. Along the New Jersey (and I'm sure others) shore, you have to build on stilts or a raised foundation. There may be 8 or 10 feet between the house and sea level. Why would you build on the ground when it starts out 8 feet BELOW sea level? Move there if you want, but don't ask me to pull you out.
Event he floods in the Midwest a few weeks back were party cause by man made reasons. Those towns flooded for thousands of years before we built levees and re-routed rivers. Ooops, it happened again. Who'd have guessed?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Well, the new "big thing" is long term lease on infrastructure, like the Indiana Toll Road. How 'bout renting N.O. to China for 100 years. Think what we could do with the cash. Stuff at Walmart would be a whole lot cheaper, what with short transport and no import duties.....hmmm.