OT - Hurricane Sandy damage assistance

Page 1 of 4
The individuals that had property damage resulting from hurricane Sandy - living in a flood prone area, shouldn't they have had insurance to cover their losses - if they made the choice not to have insurance, or skimped and didn't get enough insurance, why is it a taxpayer problem now?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/4/2013 8:30 AM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

I agree. We have to depend on our insurance. Wendy messed me up badly but my insurance helped me back on my feet. Never saw a dime of tax payer money.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When I lived in NW Florida and the beachfront homes got destroyed over and over by hurricanes, I figured that the homeowners made a bad decision rebuilding but as long as it was their money, it was none of my business. I even figured that it was bad business for an insurance company to take on that kinda risk, but as long as it was a private business, again, none of my business. But when an individual looks for tax dollars to cover personal losses, then I have to say "Sorry . . .".
I'm not talking about infrastructure stuff here - but again, if a municipality needs to rebuild a road or a bridge, isn't that a bond issue or a local tax issue - not a Federal government issue?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 4, 9:14 am, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"

There isn't anything unique in this about Sandy. You apparently are familiar with the fact that following these major natural disasters, the federal govt usually apporpiates money to help offset the losses. It's been done with FL hurricanes, Katrina, earthquakes, etc.
The argument that you should just insure it yourself comes up every time, but so far it hasn't prevailed.

Add pictures here
βœ–

More pork than Spam.

I thought pork wasn't allowed anymore.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/4/2013 8:30 AM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

The vote today is on a bill to replenish the federal flood insurance program with $9.7 billion. They don't have enough money to pay all flood insurance claims
Add pictures here
βœ–

I guess the federal government had to get into the flood insurance business because it was financially not workable for a regular insurance company to handle that kind of risk - and I'd guess that the rates that the federal government is charging for flood insurance are no where close to what that should be, if based on sound acturial principles.
And I keep wondering why (as a taxpayer) I'm forced to subsidize soemoen else's bad decisions - like living in a flood or hurricane zone and not getting enough insurance.
Add pictures here
βœ–
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ot-hurricane-sandy-damage-assistance-730649-.htm DA wrote: AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

My understanding of how flood insurance (here in the US at least) works is the same as yours - it's so risky that no private insurance company would touch it so the government has so step in. But the last time I've spoken to an insurance agent (of a private insurance company, perhaps it's important to note), their explanation sounded more graceful than \"subsidizing someone else's bad decisions\". She was basically saying that noone is ever completely safe from flood, regardless of where the house is located (i.e. middle of corn fields or beach front) and so it's everyone's problem, hence it's the government's problem.
I live not too far from a creek that does swell from time to time, although it never actually reaches anywhere close to my house, but the last time it did, the explanation that \"noone is ever safe\" sounded somewhat reasonable to me.
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

same as yours - it's so risky that no private insurance company would touch it so the government has so step in. But the last time I've spoken to an insurance agent (of a private insurance company, perhaps it's important to note), their explanation sounded more graceful than \"subsidizing someone else's bad decisions\". She was basically saying that noone is ever completely safe from flood, regardless of where the house is located (i.e. middle of corn fields or beach front) and so it's everyone's problem, hence it's the government's problem.

never actually reaches anywhere close to my house, but the last time it did, the explanation that \"noone is ever safe\" sounded somewhat reasonable to me.
I suppose there's always Noah.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:30:05 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

OMG, the lake is higher than the creek, so it might even be above your head! If the dam breaks, YOU MIGHT DROWN! Be *very* worried! Buy the insurance!
Add pictures here
βœ–

LOL But ONLY if I lie down in the creek. Which during the fall is easy to do safely. Spring/summer, you can happily kayak the thing Fall/winter, is all portage...

ONLY if the water surge from the dam is 80' high does it even have a chance of coming through my basement door..
Yeah, I think I lost some sleep on this about 14 years ago, when we first moved into the house Or maybe that was the baby keeping me awake Or maybe the dog... Or not, maybe the snake... Nope, it was the damn goldfish splashing in the tank... That was it That damn goldfish splashing around it's tank gave me nightmares of being flooded.. Damn goldfish.
<snicker>
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:44:02 +0000, DA

same as yours - it's so risky that no private insurance company would touch it so the government has so step in. But the last time I've spoken to an insurance agent (of a private insurance company, perhaps it's important to note), their explanation sounded more graceful than \"subsidizing someone else's bad decisions\". She was basically saying that noone is ever completely safe from flood, regardless of where the house is located (i.e. middle of corn fields or beach front) and so it's everyone's problem, hence it's the government's problem.

never actually reaches anywhere close to my house, but the last time it did, the explanation that \"noone is ever safe\" sounded somewhat reasonable to me.
"No one is ever safe" may be a stretch but the government has gone way too far in subsidizing individuals that build in areas that are prone to frequent weather disasters.
If one chooses to build in these locations that's fine with me. But let them be responsible for their own actions. Let them buy their own insurance. If private insurance companies won't touch it because of the risk that should be a good indicator to the individual they should live elsewhere.
It does NOT mean the government "has to step in." It does NOT mean it's "everyone's problem." It does NOT mean "it's the government's problem." Only a liberal would think that way.
Add pictures here
βœ–
AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

    Because most people today, including the president, feel they are not responsible for anything that goes wrong in their life. Even after four years the president is still blaming his predecessor for the poor economy and everything else that puts a blemish on his term.
Add pictures here
βœ–
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/ot-hurricane-sandy-damage-assistance-730649-.htm DA wrote:
Ken wrote:

How did you manage to bring Obama into a discussion about flood insurance set up when he was 7 years old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Flood_Insurance_Act_of_1968 ?
Also, don't you need to actually buy that insurance to be covered by it? Buy as in "feel responsible enough" to pay for it?
--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
DA wrote:

I would ask you to read my comments again. My point was that whether they have insurance or not, they expect someone to bail them out when they make poor decisions.
Add pictures here
βœ–
You also need to remember that global warming is changing the climate.
This was the first time New York City ever got flooded by a hurricane swell. No one anticipated that to happen because it's never happened before. (Unlike New Orleans where the City knew that they'd be flooded if they got hit by a Catagory 5 hurricane and were just hoping they wouldn't).
--
nestork

Add pictures here
βœ–

You have surpassed your past demonstrations of ignorance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_hurricanes
This one is titled New York City Underwater. (It's actually quite an interesting read..) http://www.columbia.edu/~sev2119/Team_Baller/HistoryTimeLine.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sandy wasn't really that bad a storm, it could have been worse. However it was a storm with a very large area of (near) hurricane-force winds. Plus just before landfall it changed direction in an unfavorbale way. Lastly it hit just at the time of high tide at a time when there is always an abnormally (pun intended) high tide - at full (or new) moon, when the moon's and sun's gravitational forces combine to increase the tides. Therefore there was an enormous storm surge that destroyed barrier beach towns and cities because in their "wisdom" their buildings were not protected by dunes or seawalls. All the ensuing misery was predicted. When (not if) a stronger hurricane will hit in the same way and at a similar lunar time, the devastation will be greater, perhaps much greater.
This liberal isn't feeling very sorry for the financial hurt of second home owners, or those who willfully chose to have their primary home in these areas. But, and this is a big but, some areas of New York and environs chose to build housing for the less well off right on those beaches etc, so they could raze the slums nearer to the center (Manhattan) and build for the more well-off. This happened apparently in the times of Robert Moses (curse). Therefore, I fully support the use of Federal funds to help those people with their emergency housing and with eventual replacement housing. In addition, infrastructure imp[rovements should be at least subsidized, just like New Orleans after Katrina (jus 1 example). I have no idea why there should be funds for Alaskan fisheries or museums in these bills. But Congress in their "wisdom" almost always wins extrra votes for by inserting unrelated pork.
Lastly, as happened after hurricanes in Florida and elsewhere, in Holland after the 1953 floods, and Bangladesh floods, zoning and building codes hereabouts should be altered, without grandfathering. Also, subsidies should be given to build wise (!!!) flood prevention infrastructures, and those communities which do not want to implement them should be punished. If you want to build on exposed beaches, you should pay for your foolishness, no matter how picturesque!!!!
--
Best regards
Han

Oh, it's changed the climate a lot in DC and other capitols around the world. It is all about politics, after all.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jan 4, 6:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

DC is the capitol of hot air!!!