OT: How to get cops to enforece law

Page 3 of 3

one part of the conversation is already being taped. There is no expectation of privacy on the part of the cops if they are already recording you.

On 6/27/2011 4:49 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In Illinois they can and will arrest you, and you will lose. That is their state law and there is no extant US law or ruling that overrides that yet. In MA you need to have the recording device plainly visible, else you lose.
Just going from memory:
The case in MD against Anthony Graber was dismissed by a judge. That ruling applies only to the applicable jurisdiction, which is not the entire state. Ironically, if he were convicted he would have appealed and then the win on appeal would have broader applicability.
The MD state AG had previously issued his written opinion that the taping was legal. That was at the request of a state legislator. I believe that state police there have issued an internal directive that no more arrests like that should be made.
To the OP, there is in *theory* a writ of mandamus, issued by a judge which forces some official to do their job. Who knows, maybe somewhere in the US some do-it-yourself pro se plaintiff made that work.
Is it legal to record where you are? Why not ask the police directly? Even if you are within your rights, the legal system works mainly for the rich. E.g., even if the cops are wrong and you had the charge immediately dismissed, what about lawyer fees?
Some camcorders let you turn off the sound recording anyway, and the old wiretapping laws that police are twisting to use in cases like Graber's only apply to sound.
I'd also take pictures of the stuff that ended up in your yard. The first thing a selfish lowlife will do when confronted by the consequences of his actions is lie about everything that he thinks he can deny... "Yes, I set off fireworks but none ever went in that direction".

Yer lucky it wasn't the cop burglerizing yer house.
About 13-15 yrs ago, CA had a temporary law on the books allowing cops to confiscate items they believed to be acquired from drug profits. It got so bad, cops were stripping wallets/homes of cash and personal belongings under this bogus pretense. Fortunately, the law was grandfathered (due to expire if not renewed by legislative vote) and a San Jose Mercury investigation/expose so outraged CA voters, the crooks in Sacramento would't touch it and the law died a timely death. Basically, it was legalized theft and the law enforcement community was not timid about taking full advantage of it.
nb

In Brooklyn NYC I remember a store owner saying: "It's not the smash and grab kids I worry about, it's the cops responding to the alarm, loading their trunks with cartons of cigarettes and anything else of value. They have all the time in the world to empty the store."
-- Bobby G.
On 6/27/2011 3:31 PM, notbob wrote:

'Drug forfeiture' laws are abused nationwide, and used as a profit center by lots of local, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies. Sometimes the various agencies fight over who gets how much, if it is a case they all worked on. The very concept stands burden of proof on its head- the confiscated items are assumed guilty, and the owner has to sue the government and post a bond to try and get them back, even if the real charges against the human target are dropped. The cops know most people don't have the money to do that, and/or it would cost more than the items are worth, so the seizures are seldom seriously challenged. It is legalized theft, pure and simple.
--
aem sends...

It is getting REALLY interesting in Ind. The Constitution says something about how all forfeitures are supposed to go to a school fund, although the law said that the local cops got the money up to their expenses (and they hired movie studio accountants so the expenses almost always equaled the spoils. If the higher courts agree with the lower, not only will the local cops not get the money, but they may have to reimburse the school fund.

Gee, I coulda sworn I jes said that. ;)
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

On 6/27/2011 2:31 PM, notbob wrote:

Cops are going to do to the citizenry whatever they can get away with.
TDD

Sounds similar to the cases where people traveling though some Southern states heading for Florida would get stopped and the cop would grill them about how much cash they had with them. If they had something like $800 bucks or more in cash, the cop would confiscated it saying the traveler had it to buy drugs with. 99 % of the time the money wasn't enough for most people to bother going to court over so the county got off scott free with the money.
Cops are always more likely to enforce the law when there can be money made for the city/county/state they work for.
Country wrote:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
It's foolish to answer almost ANY questions asked by a law enforcement officer.
Of course you could be Jewish: Answer the question WITH a question, as in "Why do you ask?"

Most agencies are set up to do just that. Look at the whole DUI situation. Nobody is doing squat to hinder or discourage drinking and driving. They're just piling on more revenue generating fees/fines. Higher fines, mandatory substance abuse classes, driving classes, etc, all with high fees. It's no wonder a first time offense now runs between $6-10K, depending on the state.
I once read a Univ Berkeley grad students paper on the efficacy of police depts. He concluded they were only 20% effective at dealing with crime, but were 80% effective at collecting revenue.

heh heh.... Oy!
nb
On 6/26/2011 10:21 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Have a couple of friends phone the police with tips that the guy is selling illegal fireworks from his house. A guy I know was busted this way about 30 minutes after I left his house. They found fireworks there, so he was charged. I was just glad I wasn't around when the cops showed up.

This actually happened to me umpty years ago. The next-door neighbor was a drinker, among other problems.
I HAPPENED to see an illegal firework land on his roof!!! He was oblivious, of course, in his cups. If I hadn't HAPPENED to see the gizmo land on his roof, it could have; probably WOULD have, set his place on fire, and the sparks could have; probably WOULD have, set fire to my place.
Same guy, a few years later: Some car must have bumped into his gas line out in the alley. High pressure gas HISSING out. He's out in the alley, drunkenly ON HOLD to I don't know who. I called 911 and they were out here in a New York minute. What would have happened if I hadn't HAPPENED to become aware of the situation??!! Whole ****ing neighborhood would have blown up!
I enjoy my occasional glass of wine with dinner (after which I often fall asleep!), but the damage done by boozers (esp. on the roads) is in the very high dollar figures, not to mention the human catastrophes.
(Gets off podium, still breathing hard).
HB

On Jun 26, 11:21pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Are the fireworks a constant year round issue or just around the 4th of july?
nearly all firewworks USED to be illegal here, but they changed the law.
now wallmart and others sell fireworks.......
The OP should find out if the fireworks the person is setting off are legal..... in their community.
the police routinely ignore minor offenses espically fireworks on the 4th.
only start a neighborhood war for the worst situations.
the fireworks guy will likely retaliate with irritants like loud music and complaining about the OP for every little thing.....