OT how to flush my radiator, change the antifreeze

Page 2 of 2

If you want to flush it, Prestone sells a flush kit that you can get at any auto parts store, probably Walmart, etc. It's a connector that you insert in a heater hose after you cut it. You can then connect a garden hose to it and power flush it. The kit has the complete directions.
Following the last flush and drain, I would start filling it with PURE antifreeze until you have the correct amount of antifreeze for a 50-50 mix. Then top it off with water.
But it also depends on what you have to do to properly dispose of the antifreeze. If there is a municipal facility that takes it, that could be easy. IF not, then taking it to a shop and just paying to have it done might be a better choice.
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 06:49:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Thanks. That sounds like just what I want.

That's what I've done when it's empty. It turns out this engine is different from all my previous engines. It's intake and exit are relatively high up, in the V between the two banks of cylinders. So it doesn't drain like other engines I've had did.

Show us a single auto manufacturer that says that when coolant is needed you should top it off with pure antifreeze. I'd also like to see a credible reference to any auto manufacturer that says in very cold climates straight antifreeze is recommended. Somehow I doubt that because as someone else already pointed out to you, the charts for mixing all show that straight antifreeze has a higher freezing point than the correct mix with water.

The fan belt (fan/alt./waterpump) belt!!! WFT At that point all you would need is the alternator...I guess!
On 2/19/2011 12:02 PM, mm wrote:

I just wanted to say as a ASE certified mechanic for over 30 years, this has been one of the most entertaining threads i've read in a long time. Thanks everyone for the laughs.
--
Steve Barker
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:37:44 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I read this as just agreeing with me, not about buying it pre-mixed. Not every post disagrees with the previous one.

The brown plastic ring will fit into a groove.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:04:24 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

Thanks.
and thanks to all who tried to help.
Today it took 2 or 3 more ounces and even though the Baltomoreans have confused me and 43 isn't cold at all, I decided to skip looking into the thermostat hole until I had a new thermosta. So I just drove and the engine didn't melt, glory be!

On 2/19/2011 1:02 PM, mm wrote:

The engine block holds a lot of liquid, in your case water from the flush. Remove a lower radiator hose to let more water out. Fill only with 100% anti freeze, the rest of the water in the engine will dilute it enough. Run the engine with the heater on hot to purge those hoses also. Test the anti freeze mix to see if it's safe for your part of the woods.
Maybe I should do mine in the 2000 chevy van. It's over it's 10 year lifespan (didn't hit 100,000 miles yet.

Wikip: "Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about -12C (10.4F), but when mixed with water molecules, neither can readily form a solid crystal structure, and therefore the freezing point of the mixture is depressed significantly. The minimum freezing point is observed when the ethylene glycol percent in water is about 70%, as shown below. This is the reason pure ethylene glycol is not used as an antifreezewater is a necessary component as well."

"the increase in boiling temperature is due to pure ethylene glycol having a much higher boiling point and lower vapor pressure than pure water; " This is one reason ethylene glycol evaporates less than water. The antifreeze that evaporates more is alcohol. Does anyone still use that?
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:14:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Yeah, but it's water that has been shipped half-way across the country. That makes it special water. Worth paying for.
When did you start top-posting? Cut it out!

He never has bottom-posted...it's against his religion.

Do they use Perrier?