OT: How to find out what's really happening in Egypt

It's simple: watch or listen to Al Jazeera.
I've been listening to their live coverage from Egypt (Cairo and other cities) here on KPFA (Pacifica, Berkeley CA). Probably accessible over other radio stations, and certainly over the Internet. (Of course, here in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, we're not allowed to hear this point of view. Kind of eerily similar to the way the Egyptian authorities have brought a heavy hand to bear by throttling Twitter and Facebook, actually shutting down the entire Internet there for a while ...)
Not a peep on network TV, natch. I was working at a friend's yesterday who had CNN on, and they had some coverage.
Al Jazeera has been doing a great job covering this, so far as I can tell. Live reports from the scene of massive demonstrations/riots, and interviews with (or statements from) state departments from Washington to Paris to Bonn.
There's a revolution afoot there. As of now:
o The army appears to be in sympathy with the protesters. Army tanks have been met by friendly crowds. At least one incident of the army being fired upon by police/security forces.
o Many gov't buildings burning in central Cairo, as well as many police vehicles torched.
o Even the US seems to be coming around to the realization that this is a force to be reckoned with, judging from Sec. Clinton's latest statements.
Stay tuned.

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

CNN has been covering it exclusively all morning.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
RicodJour wrote:

I would NEVER call the NY Times an anarchist mouthpiece! A Communist-front organization maybe, but never an anarchist mouthpiece. And while they did publish the Unabomber's manifesto, they also published the Pentagon Papers, outed the NSA al Queda intercepts, hints of a McCain romance, and more. Don't even get me started on Walter Durante!
I am constantly exposed to conflicting views, smarty-pants. Fox almost always presents both sides. Not a day goes by that Bill O'Reilly (for example) doesn't have Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangle, or similar on his program.

Bill O'Reilly lives in my hometown. He's even a bigger twit in person. I find it hilarious that a comedian like Jon Stewart can dismantle him on a regular basis.

That's funny as hell. Now tell us that Fox news pundits never accuse liberals of being like Nazi's. LOL.
-C-
On 1/28/2011 6:35 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I don't want ANYONE'S 'views.' I want them to tell me what happened, and then shut the hell up. I've given up on the cable news networks, since they all favor people shouting at each other over presenting actual news.
--
aem sends...

Unfortunately, excuse me, inevitably you will get someone else's view. You can only create your view based on other people's views as you are not viewing it firsthand. For the price of a plane ticket you could fix that. ;)
I agree with your sentiment about the vitriol being constantly spewed. It's nauseating, and you're right to vote with your remote. Turn the idiots off.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Two disconnected bits of land are very hard to congeal into a single country. Bangladesh was originally part of Pakistan after the Indian partition, but it proved completely unworkable. Cyprus is another where both Turkey and Greece claim the whole thing.
Therefore, if Palestine every becomes a state, there is no hope for Gaza being part of it.

Yeah, we know the only way that will work is for Israel to give up ALL it's land, because that is the only thing that is acceptable to the terrorists that the Palestinian's have chosen to lead them. They won't even acknowledge Israel's right to exist and call for their complete destruction. Had the Palestinians adopted the practices and policies of Martin Luther King and Ghandi, they would have had their cherished state long ago.....

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 06:17:53 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Sedat.
They wouldn't know what to do with a Palestinian state if they had one. Well, except to lob missiles into Israel from it.