OT - How much is regular gas where you are?

Page 2 of 4

When a municipality cuts gas taxes, many stations don't drop their prices. I live near Atlanta, Georgia, and Georgia recently suspended the state gas tax for a month. Few gas stations dropped their prices until the state started going around to various gas stations to have them open their books and justify their prices.
Pick wrote:

But the <tax> didn't go anywhere...

I guess if you call the station owner or company's pockets nowhere, then the tax didn't go anywhere. However, at 13.1 million gallons per day consumption (Georgia's average as of 1991), that's almost 2 million dollars a day getting pocketed if someone hadn't stepped in.

The tax should not be cut. I'm against taxes and un-needed government spending but cutting the gas tax does not help the consumer. The gas companies will continue to sell at high prices knowing the consumer is not going to stop buying and the government is going to just subsidize them.
If the gas tax is cut, the state will have less income. You can be sure that does not mean less spending. The money will come from some other tax, one that may be more oppressive.

That was actually about 2 weeks.

Flint Michigan -
10am yesterday - $2.64 (I topped off) 6am today - $2.97 noon today - $3.19
All at the same station.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
$2.899 Bowling Green, KY 8:30 PM CST and rising.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
(*&@(*^*^@$)*(^@)$^__$&_A&%@_&$*(@#(@(
Riddle me this Batmam: How come a hurricane in Louisiana YESTERDAY makes pump prices rise today? Does it mean that the gasoline that is already in the tanks at the gas stations will be billed at a higher price? I think not. It may be on 30 day net, but the invoiced price is the price and the markup should be pretty standard in an industry as mature as that one.
I mean, Vaseline is a petroleum based product. I went into a pharmacy and they weren't changing the prices on the KY Jelly because of the hurricane. So what gives?
Just 'taint right I tells ya...
Of course, if I say we are being robbed blind - I get pegged as an anarchist. What an insidious series of unfortunate events that led to this point whereby we are bound by words so we can no longer express ourselves to the point that evokes creative solutions.
Saying gasoline is what it is a gallon is good info, but what is it we are really saying? How much are we going to take? Maybe. Ooops.
Then again, I remember: "By God, when cigarettes get to $1.50 a pack I'm quitting!" Except I don't have to have a cigarette to get to work and support my family.
Maybe the rising gas prices will be a national average taxpayer's new Threat Meter. Homeland Security has the Threat Meter for terrorism. Maybe they are watching the wrong meter. Personally, I'd like it if they watched our gas meters. After all, it is a petroleum based administation.
Our Threat Meter is simple. The higher the price of gas goes, the more of a threat to our way of life shows its face ...
Sorry for the length. Had to get it off my chest. (had to glue the leg)
abi
This morning it was $2.50 a gallon. Now it is $3.20 a gallon. It wet up 70 cents in one day. And that assumes you can get it, Many stations are running out. We may have to shut down our business till things stabilize.
Stretch
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:49:05 -0500, "PanHandler"

$2.89 in west-central WI (Bloomer, between Rice Lake and Eau Claire) Probably be higher tomorrow, if the weeks *before* the big hurricane shut down refineries.

Teetering a few center either side of $3.00 in Northeast CT and central MA. Low was 2.73, high is 3.11 that I saw today

Converting from our $1.15 Canadian per litre to US gallons (that's for the cheapest 'Regular' 87 octane)..... It is close to the equivalent of $3.49 US dollars, per US sized gallon here in eastern Canada! SUV and V8 owners looking worried!
$3.20 in the Ann Arbor area for 87 Octane.

The high prices may not be the big problem. My daughter works in Phenix City Alabama, just across the river from Columbus Ga. On the way home tonight she found that most stations were dry and had no idea when refills would be in.
Charlie

Charlie Bress wrote:

$2.60 in Texas and I dont see any gas lines.
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:49:05 -0500, "PanHandler"
you are?:

Here are the prices in my area:
http://198.6.95.31/ALmetro.asp
Right now about $2.53 and rising.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

In central CT today, my wife was actually at the pump when 93 octane went from 2.89 to 3.09, and on my way home Citgo was 2.81 for regular. I paid 2.59 on Monday at the same Citgo. The place my wife went to had only the 93 octane, and it's one of those giant stations with many pumps.
wrote Re OT - How much is regular gas where

Vic Dura wrote:

Count your blessings. I was paying $3.15 for low-grade a week ago here in CA. I haven't refilled since, but the thought causes shudders.
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:02:50 -0500, Vic Dura
where you are?:

Well, that was last night. It's $2.89 now.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Rochester NY: $2.69 yesterday. No idea what it is today. I'll find out in about an hour.
We paid $2.71 at 6:00 p.m. this evening - at Sam's Club in the Philly 'burbs. At 4:00 this afternoon the station around the corner from me posted $2.99. At 7:00 it was $3.15. Price gouging at its finest.