OT. How much does it cost the average American (family) for health care insurance.

Theyt may "have" 33 ships BUT they could only afford to put 3 ships to sea to help NATO with the piracy of Somilia.... If a cure can be found for the Pig Flue it will originate in the USA not Cuba or Canada.I should have been clearer for you Canadiens....How much has Defense Spending been cut to pay for your Socialized rationed medical care ?? By 2/3? IIRC....
benick wrote:

Defend from what? Aliens? Canada does not have many enemies like U.S. Can you travel all over the world proudly showing stars and stripes on you? I CAN and do with my maple leaf all the time. We're welcome every where. Your defense dollar is all gobbled up by private military industrial complex like Black water making a few crooks mega rich in the name of your country. Eisenhower warned about it when he was leaving White House and it became a reality since the days when Cheney was SOD. Got whole lot worse with Dubya in White House. I feel sorry for an American like you. Know the truth.

Don Klipstein wrote: ...

That's gross over-exaggeration--mostly in those who simply choose not to are the young and healthy that simply choose to spend on other self-indulgences rather than something as mundane as health insurance...TheDoofus ex-SIL as the cardinal exhibit that dropped (despite court order) coverage for his kids to buy a racing bike instead leaving DIL w/ hospital bill for young g-daughter... :(
A major problem in the US is the rise of the entitlement mentality and concomitant lack of personal responsibility for actions (and subsequent expectation of somebody else picking up for consequences of lack of same).
There are issues to be addressed/resolved certainly, but surely nothing proposed so far is going to be very successful and is certainly going to drive expenditures thru the roof (which have already gotten a running start on w/o even adding health care program increases). The fundamental problem is there simply aren't enough printing presses in existence to manufacture the kind of money they're talking...
dpb wrote:

I often hear down there folks go bankrupt due to serious medical expenditures. Up here never heard of it.

It also happens to people whose insurance company dumps them. The company doesn't want to pay for the treatment.
"RobertPatrick" wrote

Correct. Due to medical issues gained in the service, I am 'uninsurable'. I am 50% disabled. I have the company insurance for catostrophic but only the policy to protect my income as they will not cover my pre-existing conditions under any other of their policies. Able to work some types of jobs with a bit of job accomodation (which the current one fits with no problem) which keeps me happy and off the public dole.
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

Well, it does happen; the number is certainly being overplayed just now in particular I think.
Again, certainly there could be/should be some modifications; from what I observed in Canuckland and listening to the expatriate physicians who've emigrated it's certainly not convincing to me that that is the direction in which to solve the problems...
"dpb" wrote:

Grin, what folks 'want' reallly is a free ride with a 'policy' similar to the highest rate Blue Cross, Blue Shield coverage and no payment nor rise in their taxes. Even our local yahoo community group here had a thread on it and when cost came up, all they could offer was a higher tax on items the people themselves didnt care about. Nannyism stuff like higher beer and cigs 'because you shouldnt do that anyways'.
Fact, to get that level, it would cost about 12,000$ per year per person here. People who do have that level of coverage, want to keep it. People who don't, want it but are either unwilling or unable to pay for it and want others to pay for them.
Sometimes you get the 'you owe me because I'm poor and can't find a job'.
Often talking with such folks, it's a true situation due to narrow job skills but I never let that stop *me* from flipping burgers if for a time thats all I could get. Sometimes it's folks like me now, (medical issues, can not stand more than 15 mins without pain, can not lift more than 20 lbs without risk of injury) which puts a major crimp in the ability to get the simple standby jobs like cashier etc. Other times it's a real but not lifelong problem (3-4 kids, can't afford childcare unless the job pays well enough, later have to match hours to school or be able to pay aftercare).
BTW, the natural for the one with 3-4 kids would be operate a home daycare, but that's not always possible due to laws in some places and number of kids. Like here, 1 adult per 4 toddlers and she/he would already be at limit and not 'legal' to take in more.
It's the 'you owe me because I'm poor' without any good reason to not be working, flipping burgers or stocking walmart shelves for a time, that irk me. I have no problem with the above set with real reasons, even if temporary (childcare, elder parent care) but I have a big problem footing the bill for those who are healthy and just *will not* work to meet us taxpayers half way on this. TANSTAAFL
Even then though, I could wrap my mind about it for catostrophic care and some form of basic insurance free for all with a set of tiers for upper level (lower co-pay etc) services you pay for. In lands with 'free medical' add-on policies from commercial companys do this. It would be the same here.
One misunderstood thing is that the person with validated disability, already *has* some level of care, often medicare/medicaid /SSDI regardless of their age. The problem there is if they *do* happen to find a job they can work at, they can't make more than a certain amount per year or they lose that coverage, yet can not get insurance for any price. If I were not retired military with Tricare, that would be me.

Canada has helped us out before. You don't need to bash them.
aemeijers wrote:

Yep. My grandfather died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and gripped with fear like the passengers in his car.

My grandfather died after a sexual encounter down the dirt road. What a way to die at age 68!

I live in North Carolina. The company I work for lets you retire before 62 if you have worked over 30 years for them. They used to pay part of the insurance and it would cost a man and his wife around $ 300 or less per year. They quit doing that and the average cost for the same coverage is around $ 1000 per month or $ 12,000 per year. You can get some high deductiable insurance that only starts paying out after you pay around $ 3000 for medical bills or more for around $ 300 a month.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

employee benefits, folks screamed bloody murder when the ded. went from $75 to $100 for FREE, EMPLOYER-PROVIDED INSURANCE COVERAGE. Probably the same morons who thought Reagan's plan for using temp. workers was going to work miracles for the economy.

The presidency is a temporary job.
In wrote:

but the bennies are forever<g>

When you are sick you cant get it, or you might pay 10,000 a year for 1 person and co pay alot of it. Insurance companies are in business for profit , not to pay claims. 62% of the 1.5 million US bankruptcies are medicaly related and any imigrant can walk into Cook County hospital knowing its free for them.

I'm self employed and my health insurance just for me $500 a month now and goes up every year. That's with no drug or dental coverage, $1k deductible per year and I pay 20% of everything else until I pay another $1k out of pocket a year.
I hope Obama does something but I am skeptical about the huge bill(s) that are going through congress. I would rather they just do something about the run-away costs for insurance, drugs and health care. The way my insurance costs are rising, there is no way I will be able to afford to pay those costs for 9 more years when I reach 65.
David

A friend of mine is a building contractor. His monthly Blue Cross family plan for his wife, himself, and 3 children is $1,250 per month.
For me, working for a large business the PPO plan for a family of 3 is $150 per month, but I have to spend close to $10k in annual family medical bills before it starts covering anything. Until I hit the magic number the cost of treatment is reduced if I use in network doctors. FWIW the dental plan has a $2k annual cap. You can run thru that in one sitting.