OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

Page 2 of 2

In this neck of the woods, recalls are handled by the manufacturer, sent to the last "owner of record" (purchase records kept by the manufacturer).
They don't get notices from DMV when the registered owner changes (and in this state, its the new buyer that must register and transfer the title, the seller must only file a release-of-liability with the DMV).
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:44:45 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

They may not get notices from the DMV, but AFAIK, they are required to find out who the registered owner is. This can be done through the DMV.
According to the NHTSA website "Within a reasonable time after the determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles. ... Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices."
I bought the vehicle used from an independent used car dealer. The recall notices come from Honda, so at some point they were able to determine that I was the registered owner via some method other than "purchase records kept by the manufacturer". I can only assume, based on the wording at the NHTSA website that they obtained my name from my state's DMV. The question on the table is:
Why have they ignored my multiple attempts to inform them that I am no longer the registered owner?

It's the same here. Surrendering the plates (or transferring them to a different vehicle) serves as the release-of-liability with the DMV.

Here, the plates stay with the vehicle, unless they're personalized.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

My thought is to make an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. See if they have a VIN record on it. Call them late before or early on the appointment day and tell them it is broken down and has to be towed in. Give then an address of a vacant lot in the industrial district with overgrown weeds. When they can't find it just reply that's where it was the last time you saw it X years ago; that's if they find out you're the owner. Or the addy of the scrapyard. If they threaten you tell them to talk to your lawyer. I'd also call the NHTSA and report them; you are worried about others safety... Have some fun.
--
Tekkie

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:51:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you're afraid they won't notify you reliably, I'd be glad to put it on my calendar for every 6 months and send you an email.
Meantime, don't drive under any more trees.