OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

Yes, I know I can just throw them away.

2 years ago a tree fell on my van and it was totaled by the insurance company. Once we settled the claim, I handed over the title and they became the new owner. As far as I can tell, they then sold the vehicle to an auction company in upstate NY, which made me one step farther away from being the current owner.

I can't tell if the vehicle was sold at the auction, all I know is that the auction "ended". I know this because I can Google the VIN:

Every 6 months or so, I get a recall notice from Honda related to the infamous Takata Air Bag Inflator recall. The first time I received the notice, I filled out the "Information Change Card" explaining that the vehicle was totaled by the ins co. 6 months later I filled out the card again and included a copy of the page from the auction website. 6 months later I called DMV in the state where I last register the vehicle. They did not list me as the current owner, but they were not allowed to tell me who was. I filled out the card once again, and once again included a copy of the auction web page. 6 months later I called Honda and "opened a case". I was assured that I would no longer receive recall notices.

Well, I got another one this weekend. I plan to call Honda again. I assume that they will be able to pull up my "case" in their computer, but I don't know if that will do any good. Whatever they did last time didn't help.

Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of my life? (I know about the "10 year" rule but AFAIK that only applies to getting the repair done for free and not related to the notification of the defect.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A recall notice usually comes with a card to fill out asking if you still own the vehicle. Some manufacturers want more info than others but generally a check box for "I no longer own this vehicle" or "The vehicle is no longer drive-able or was totaled". Then you return it in their return envelope.

Reply to
Meanie

No such card and envelope with the recall notice for our Pontiac Vibe (also for the Takata airbag problem).

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Read the card carefully. Maybe they know you totaled the car and they want you to send back the airbags so they can use them in new cars.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Move and don't tell the post office! Problem solved. You're welcome.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Probably yes. It's attorney thing. I remember one time a company I did a repair for, they went into bankrupcy or some thing. I got more reams of paper from the district court. I'd already been paid for the job, and the notices were irrelevant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Transfer the warranty/ownership information to the new owner with the manufacturer so the current owner gets the notifications.

Bottom posted for the Moron's reading pleasure.

Reply to
clare

If you're afraid they won't notify you reliably, I'd be glad to put it on my calendar for every 6 months and send you an email.

Meantime, don't drive under any more trees.

Reply to
Micky

Yer a sick man, Ed Pawlowski, but I like the way you think : )

Reply to
ChairMan

Holy crap! Did you even read my post?

How could you possibly have missed the paragraph where I clearly stated that I have filled out the card multiples times and even included supporting documentation that I am no longer the owner?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Great idea. Now tell me how to determine the new owner.

I have already sent everything I know about the disposition of the vehicle to Honda. I even spoke to Honda Customer Care directly. Did you read my post?

I included a copy of the auction website page with the information card

*twice*. I wrote the URL on the information card. I directed the CSR at Honda Customer Care to the website when they opened the case.

Tell me who the current owner is and I will certainly pass that along. Don't tell me it's the insurance company or the auction company, because I already told Honda Customer Care about those 2 entities. It hasn't helped.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Perhaps the ultimate purchaser parted it out, so you are still the last

*registered* owner, and they are *required* to send you the notices.

I am assuming that if we had simply stored and not registered the Pontiac Vibe that we bought from a friend, *she* would still be getting the recall notices.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If I were still the registered owner, then I should have a received a registration renewal notice from the DMV, but I have not.

As I stated in my OP, I called the DMV and they do not list me as the registered owner, but they could not/would not tell me who was.

When the ins co took possession, the title and registration was signed over to them, just like they are when a vehicle is sold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In this neck of the woods, recalls are handled by the manufacturer, sent to the last "owner of record" (purchase records kept by the manufacturer).

They don't get notices from DMV when the registered owner changes (and in this state, its the new buyer that must register and transfer the title, the seller must only file a release-of-liability with the DMV).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They may not get notices from the DMV, but AFAIK, they are required to find out who the registered owner is. This can be done through the DMV.

According to the NHTSA website "Within a reasonable time after the determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles. ... Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices."

I bought the vehicle used from an independent used car dealer. The recall notices come from Honda, so at some point they were able to determine that I was the registered owner via some method other than "purchase records kept by the manufacturer". I can only assume, based on the wording at the NHTSA website that they obtained my name from my state's DMV. The question on the table is:

Why have they ignored my multiple attempts to inform them that I am no longer the registered owner?

It's the same here. Surrendering the plates (or transferring them to a different vehicle) serves as the release-of-liability with the DMV.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ChairMan posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

Here, the plates stay with the vehicle, unless they're personalized.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

My thought is to make an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. See if they have a VIN record on it. Call them late before or early on the appointment day and tell them it is broken down and has to be towed in. Give then an address of a vacant lot in the industrial district with overgrown weeds. When they can't find it just reply that's where it was the last time you saw it X years ago; that's if they find out you're the owner. Or the addy of the scrapyard. If they threaten you tell them to talk to your lawyer. I'd also call the NHTSA and report them; you are worried about others safety... Have some fun.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ooops! I skipped over it. Sorry.

Reply to
Meanie

No problem! Thanks for stopping back and letting us know. That doesn't happen too often.

Reply to
DerbyDad03