OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

Page 1 of 2
Yes, I know I can just throw them away.
2 years ago a tree fell on my van and it was totaled by the insurance company. Once we settled the claim, I handed over the title and they became the new owner. As far as I can tell, they then sold the vehicle to an auction company in upstate NY, which made me one step farther away from being the current owner.
I can't tell if the vehicle was sold at the auction, all I know is that the auction "ended". I know this because I can Google the VIN:
http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid 3&carId109&vin_NRL18564B140663
Every 6 months or so, I get a recall notice from Honda related to the infamous Takata Air Bag Inflator recall. The first time I received the notice, I filled out the "Information Change Card" explaining that the vehicle was totaled by the ins co. 6 months later I filled out the card again and included a copy of the page from the auction website. 6 months later I called DMV in the state where I last register the vehicle. They did not list me as the current owner, but they were not allowed to tell me who was. I filled out the card once again, and once again included a copy of the auction web page. 6 months later I called Honda and "opened a case". I was assured that I would no longer receive recall notices.
Well, I got another one this weekend. I plan to call Honda again. I assume that they will be able to pull up my "case" in their computer, but I don't know if that will do any good. Whatever they did last time didn't help.
Am I doomed to receive recall notice on this vehicle for the rest of my life? (I know about the "10 year" rule but AFAIK that only applies to getting the repair done for free and not related to the notification of the defect.)
On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A recall notice usually comes with a card to fill out asking if you still own the vehicle. Some manufacturers want more info than others but generally a check box for "I no longer own this vehicle" or "The vehicle is no longer drive-able or was totaled". Then you return it in their return envelope.
On 07/04/2016 09:13 PM, Meanie wrote:

No such card and envelope with the recall notice for our Pontiac Vibe (also for the Takata airbag problem).
Perce
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 9:13:27 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Holy crap! Did you even read my post?
How could you possibly have missed the paragraph where I clearly stated that I have filled out the card multiples times and even included supporting documentation that I am no longer the owner?
On 7/5/2016 8:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ooops! I skipped over it. Sorry.
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 6:39:33 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

No problem! Thanks for stopping back and letting us know. That doesn't happen too often.
On 7/5/2016 3:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Wasn't that what obviously happened? Holy crap! How did you miss that?
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 7:00:26 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

The letting us know of his error, i.e. his *apology* is what doesn't happen too often.
This whole thread really must be bothering you. You seem so confused by it all.
On 7/5/2016 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Holy crap! Did you even read my post?
On 7/5/2016 9:15 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Did you even read my question about apologies on Usenet! Holy crap! Did you read my question!
If apologies are not legal or ethical, then I am so, so sorry about that and won't do it again until the next time.
On 7/5/2016 6:44 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is it legal or ethical to apologize on Usenet? If not, I'm very sorry. My apologies, and won't happen again.
On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Read the card carefully. Maybe they know you totaled the car and they want you to send back the airbags so they can use them in new cars.

Yer a sick man, Ed Pawlowski, but I like the way you think : )
ChairMan posted for all of us...

+1
--
Tekkie

Move and don't tell the post office! Problem solved. You're welcome.
On 7/4/2016 8:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Probably yes. It's attorney thing. I remember one time a company I did a repair for, they went into bankrupcy or some thing. I got more reams of paper from the district court. I'd already been paid for the job, and the notices were irrelevant.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Transfer the warranty/ownership information to the new owner with the manufacturer so the current owner gets the notifications.
Bottom posted for the Moron's reading pleasure.
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 11:14:38 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Great idea. Now tell me how to determine the new owner.
I have already sent everything I know about the disposition of the vehicle to Honda. I even spoke to Honda Customer Care directly. Did you read my post?
I included a copy of the auction website page with the information card *twice*. I wrote the URL on the information card. I directed the CSR at Honda Customer Care to the website when they opened the case.
http://selenaauto.com/index.php?pid 3&carId109&vin_NRL18564B140663
Tell me who the current owner is and I will certainly pass that along. Don't tell me it's the insurance company or the auction company, because I already told Honda Customer Care about those 2 entities. It hasn't helped.
On 07/05/2016 08:19 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Perhaps the ultimate purchaser parted it out, so you are still the last *registered* owner, and they are *required* to send you the notices.
I am assuming that if we had simply stored and not registered the Pontiac Vibe that we bought from a friend, *she* would still be getting the recall notices.
Perce
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 10:49:26 AM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

If I were still the registered owner, then I should have a received a registration renewal notice from the DMV, but I have not.
As I stated in my OP, I called the DMV and they do not list me as the registered owner, but they could not/would not tell me who was.
When the ins co took possession, the title and registration was signed over to them, just like they are when a vehicle is sold.