OT horse saddles

OT When they strap a saddle to a horse, does it go around his ribcage? What happens when he breathes in and out. Does the saddle get tight and loose?

Yes, it does.

Only if the person who saddled the horse doesn't know what he's doing. You wait to cinch it snug (*not* tight) until the horse exhales. Then, it gets a bit tight when he inhales, and fits properly when he exhales. Obstreperous horses will deliberately inhale deeply and hold it, waiting to exhale until after the rider cinches the girth strap. Savvy riders who observe this happening will then knee the horse in the abdomen and cinch the strap when the horse exhales. After three or four such experiences, the horse learns not to do that -- at least not when saddled by that particular rider.
It is necessary, for the safety of the rider, to tighten the girth strap enough that the saddle stays in place when the rider mounts. It is also necessary for the comfort of the horse to make it no tighter. Riding is a partnership, not a master-slave relationship.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 02:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Aren't they clever? Makes me feel good about the whole horse race.

Again, clever.

I figured.

I figured.

That's good.
Thanks.
On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 02:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

Not with my wife's damn horses. They think they are the masters and I am their slave :-)
On 6/7/2014 9:22 PM, micky wrote:

Then again, there are those who are just stubborn (or just mean) that live for the opportunity and do it every morning of their lives irregardless of the knee...and look for the opportunity to nip the saddler just for good measure... :)
We had one of them years ago when young...good cow horse once thru the shenanigans of the morning ritual, but was that way forever. He also would run you into the corner of the barn or a gate post if you weren't aware just for the pleasure of trying to scrape you off...but would _never_ let a cow cut back out of the herd--just give him his head and hang on and he'd make sure wouldn't lose her. Or, point out the one you wanted cut out of the herd and it was done. Just don't turn your back or get lazy/unattentive when _not_ working or you'd be regretting it... :)
On 6/8/2014 8:01 AM, CRNG wrote:

Not quite...they _know_ they're the master... :)

We had a "nipper" years ago. Once when my wife had just finished saddling her, she (the horse) turned her head to nip and somehow got her lower jaw stuck in the left stirrup.
Man, that a great show.
On 6/7/2014 9:22 PM, micky wrote: ...

And, given the timing for the post I presume, I was sorry to see CA-Chrome not manage to finish it off yesterday...

Yes, I had just watched the race. What interested me is that clearly the horses know the goal is come in first, and they've accepted that as their goal (at least the horses that do well.)
And the stories all of you tell about the horses knowing what is going on and doing things they way they want to are ivery interesting.
On 6/8/2014 5:33 PM, micky wrote:

Indeed, race horses in particular are bred to run (obviously :) ) and they like people are competitive by their very nature with varying levels of just how much so they really are. Even nags or cow ponies occasionally will race each other just for the fun of it in a pasture, particularly as young 'uns "just playing".

The amount of 'adjustments' made in these races has truly taken the fun out of watching. The first run at Cubai did not have much influences, so was an incredible treat to watch, but the next year, and after...
To envision what the cinch is like, wrap a belt around your chest up right under your arm pits. that's kind of where the cinch rides on a horse. Note you can still breathe a bit. I still think a metal bit in the mouth is absolutely cruel, but then I've only been on 'good' horses. Only one horse I can remember liked to try to 'rub' your leg off on fence posts. But, we had a heart to heart so he stopped doing that.

That's DUBAI! left hand is simply not working well anymore.
micky posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I have to add my own horse story even though I have never ridden one...
One day I noticed the usually corralled horses at a farm I pass on the way to work were in the driveway instead of the corral. I tried the dwelling but no answer to knocking. I know nothing about horses so I call on the radio and a PA State Police (PSP) trooper I didn't know eventually arrives. He knew something. He goes and find their harness' and we lead them back. We secure the open gate and proceed to clean our boots. I realized how majestic they were. I can see why people have horses. I love all of Gods creatures but learned something that day. Around here is cow country and I know about them and can appreciate them. I've been in more than one rodeo around here with them. If they are on the road they do not know what red lights and sirens mean. They stare. You gotta push them off the road and stay away from the rear hoofs and leave the bulls to the owner - they can be mean and usually are.
I always wondered about this saddle question. I am still teachable (maybe)
--
Tekkie

On 6/9/2014 6:26 PM, Oren wrote: ...

That's overly broad; it isn't a foregone conclusion that the open range law will indemnify the cattle owner. The law states basically that in any suit for "damages which are caused by collision between any motor vehicle and any domestic animal on a highway, there is no presumption or inference that the collision was due to negligence on behalf of the owner or the person in possession of the animal."
That is, the plaintiff must demonstrate some other basis for negligence on the rancher's part than simply not fencing along the roadway. There have been cases in which courts have ruled for a plaintiff. At least one I recall the additional conditions were of a water supply on one side of the road with the grazing area on the other and no attempt in an obvious case of there being consistent need for the animals to thus cross the road repeatedly for any controls in place to minimize the amount of time spent by animals on and/or crossing the road.
This isn't open range at the house, but it's not far to areas in E CO and NM and also have ground in NM that are so am at least somewhat familiar w/ the rules thereof...