OT? hooking up a DVD player to an old TV

The TV only has the 75 ohm antenna cable input. The DVD player RCA jacks or S Video. They make converters @ $50+ but I went to Goodwill and bought a $5. VCR. RCA cables from DVD to VCR and 75ohm coax from VCR to the TV. Works for me!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Don't ever watch an HDTV, you'll never want to go back. Seriously.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Tony Miklos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I'm with you!

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I don't want HDTV. It's something they make you pay extra for. Just to see the big pores on somebody's face. No thanks. Money saved can help pay bills.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

My old TV has to be connected to a VCR to get channels higher than 13. I still have it, there is just a 50 plasma on top of it now.

Jeff Foxworthy: If you have a working TV on top of a broken one, you might be a redneck.

Reply to
Metspitzer

If you dug around the junk box at goodwill you probably could have found an RF modulator for a buck.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, You know Plasma TV uses lot more power and they e no good for high altitude locations.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I see them in the stores, nice. But I still will wait until my old TV breaks.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

None there, they didn't even have any RCA jack cables.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

They do have a beautiful picture, but my made in 1987 27" Magnavox is still as sharp and clear as the day it was made. It blew a resistor a half dozen years ago, which was a $1.00 fix, and the RF circuitry is busted, but the RCA jacks on the back take the output from the cable box, and that's good enough for me.

Besides, if I got a pretty looking TV I'd just spend more time watching the damn thing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The ~1990 Magnavox I just hooked up in the bedroom also looks like new and "1990" new is new enough for me. Probably like you, I don't live my life around my TV. I don't watch any certain program every day or week, well maybe once a week if I remember it's on. I have an antenna and the ~25 channels I get are plenty for me. I couldn't imagine paying what cable/satelite/... costs. I still remember when I did pay for cable around 1983, there were no commercials. That was the biggest reason for getting cable, no commercials! Now they charge 2 arms and a leg and it has commercials! WTF? I do rent DVD's every week or three, I like using "Red Box", it's very handy. $1 plus tax for a day and it doesn't go up unless it's returned after 24 + hours, so far for me if I rent it at about 5PM, it has to be returned by 9PM the next day. The Red Box is

1 mile from my house with 1 traffic light. I can order and hold a DVD online and it emails me with all transactions including when I return the DVD.
Reply to
Tony Miklos

You may see, when watching DVDs that have the Macrovision "copy protection"= bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern ov= er time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a = bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

Your DVD player may not respect the Macrovision bit, or it may have a servi= ce menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to= others, because DVD -> VCR -> old TV is an obvious setup to try, especiall= y if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

--Eric Smith

Reply to
Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Mars

bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD -> VCR -> old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

Hi, I built a little box to avoid Macrovision protection to copy DVD. It is very simple if you know how. Couple chips and [arts with soldering iron. Now I download things to burn.

Reply to
Tony Hwang