OT? hooking up a DVD player to an old TV

The TV only has the 75 ohm antenna cable input. The DVD player RCA jacks or S Video. They make converters @ $50+ but I went to Goodwill and bought a $5. VCR. RCA cables from DVD to VCR and 75ohm coax from VCR to the TV. Works for me!
On 03/24/2011 08:55 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Don't ever watch an HDTV, you'll never want to go back. Seriously.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't want HDTV. It's something they make you pay extra for. Just to see the big pores on somebody's face. No thanks. Money saved can help pay bills.
On 3/24/2011 9:21 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I see them in the stores, nice. But I still will wait until my old TV breaks.
Tony Miklos wrote:

They do have a beautiful picture, but my made in 1987 27" Magnavox is still as sharp and clear as the day it was made. It blew a resistor a half dozen years ago, which was a $1.00 fix, and the RF circuitry is busted, but the RCA jacks on the back take the output from the cable box, and that's good enough for me.
Besides, if I got a pretty looking TV I'd just spend more time watching the damn thing.
Jon
On 3/24/2011 10:52 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

The ~1990 Magnavox I just hooked up in the bedroom also looks like new and "1990" new is new enough for me. Probably like you, I don't live my life around my TV. I don't watch any certain program every day or week, well maybe once a week if I remember it's on. I have an antenna and the ~25 channels I get are plenty for me. I couldn't imagine paying what cable/satelite/... costs. I still remember when I did pay for cable around 1983, there were no commercials. That was the biggest reason for getting cable, no commercials! Now they charge 2 arms and a leg and it has commercials! WTF? I do rent DVD's every week or three, I like using "Red Box", it's very handy. $1 plus tax for a day and it doesn't go up unless it's returned after 24 + hours, so far for me if I rent it at about 5PM, it has to be returned by 9PM the next day. The Red Box is 1 mile from my house with 1 traffic light. I can order and hold a DVD online and it emails me with all transactions including when I return the DVD.

I'm with you!
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:55:57 -0400, Tony Miklos

My old TV has to be connected to a VCR to get channels higher than 13. I still have it, there is just a 50 plasma on top of it now.
Jeff Foxworthy: If you have a working TV on top of a broken one, you might be a redneck.
Metspitzer wrote:

Hi, You know Plasma TV uses lot more power and they e no good for high altitude locations.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:55:57 -0400, Tony Miklos

If you dug around the junk box at goodwill you probably could have found an RF modulator for a buck.

None there, they didn't even have any RCA jack cables.
On Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:55:57 PM UTC-4, Tony Miklos wrote:

You may see, when watching DVDs that have the Macrovision "copy protection" bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.
Your DVD player may not respect the Macrovision bit, or it may have a service menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD -> VCR -> old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.
--Eric Smith
Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal wrote:

bit set, that the picture gets brighter and darker in a regular pattern over time. Macrovision[tm], if I remember correctly, messes up the signal a bit to sabotage attempts to dub yourself a copy of the "protected" DVD.

menu option to turn it off. I mention this as a more general warning to others, because DVD -> VCR -> old TV is an obvious setup to try, especially if you're already using the VCR to tune in cable channels.

Hi, I built a little box to avoid Macrovision protection to copy DVD. It is very simple if you know how. Couple chips and [arts with soldering iron. Now I download things to burn.