OT Homeless

Page 1 of 3
I just learned today that a friend of my nephew (who is staying with me) is homeless. The friend stayed here for 3 weeks before I blew a fuse and insisted that my nephew took him home. It was only after the boy left did I discover he was homeless.
He was getting a check from the government until he turned 18 and the people he was staying with made him leave. I understand that the kid was working at a fast food place, but his car blew the engine.
He did just graduate from school. I understand that the people he was staying with also let him finish school before they asked him to leave.
I have suggested he contact some churches. I also suggested that he try to get a job and pay coworkers to take him to and from "home". He does have quite a few kids from school that he can rely on for a short while.
I googled "help for the homeless" and got...... http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/comm_planning/homeless
Since I do not have any personal information about the boy, I could not apply for anything listed. I suggested my nephew suggest the site to the friend and let him do the applying.
Just from going to the site, it becomes pretty clear there is some huge red tape and frustration on finding out what the kid would qualify for. I think he is willing to work and I do not suspect the kid is on drugs, but I really don't know. It does seem like a pretty bad situation when you have no way to get to work and no place to stay. BTW his home city and friends are around 45 miles from here and it is a really small town.
Any other suggestions on how the kid could get help?
On Friday, July 12, 2013 8:02:30 PM UTC-7, Metspitzer wrote:

Could he apply for general Relief?
HB

What State does he live in?

Alabama
Metspitzer wrote:

I asked which state he is in because each state has its own system regarding children and youth services. That includes who is eligible for services, what ages they serve, how they fund those services, etc.
I went to the Alabama Department of Human Resources website and, to be honest, it is pretty lame. It is not easy to find any meaningful information on that website, including even what ages of "children and youth" they actually serve. It looks like the hub or contact point for services is at the County level, but of course, when I click on any individual County on their website all that comes up is an error message.
Here are a couple of almost-useless links from the Alabama Department of Human Resources website: http://dhr.alabama.gov/services/Foster_Care/Ind_Living_Program.aspx
http://dhr.alabama.gov/services/Foster_Care/FC_Children_Teens.aspx
http://dhr.alabama.gov/documents/Monthly_Trans_IL_Plcmnt_Report_2140.pdf .
But, at least they may give you a little idea of what they may have available for someone this kids age.
Mostly, what I was looking for is to see what programs or servcies they have for children and youth who are transitioning into adulthood. The federal government has had a big push on for states to provide programs for children and youth who are "aging out" of the system; usually meaning kids who are 16 or 17 through 21 years of age and who have grown up in foster care or other programs.
My guess is that you'll find that this kid was "in the system", meaning that he received some kind of subsidy or assistance and he may have been in a state funded foster home, therapeutic home, etc. Usually, when a kid is (or was) "in the system", he/she is eligible for some types of transitional or independent living programs up to or including age 21.
And, as others have suggested, my guess is that he bombed out of whatever program he was in with the family who let him stay until he graduated from high school. That doesn't mean that he can't get into another program, but it is very possible that he keeps bombing out of his placements because he won't do what he needs to do, won't cooperate with his caretakers and is oppositional and defiant, or runs the streets at all hours, or is involved with drugs and/or criminal/delinquent behavior. So, there is a good chance that even if you could "help" him by helping him find a program to get into, he'll bomb out. Regular teens who have a job and are generally motivated and cooperative with their caretakers don't get booted out of every place that they live.
He may also have mental health issues and may or may not be on psychiatric meds (or he is supposed to be on them but refuses to take them). I mention this last part about the meds because the military will not take kids who have certain mental health issues and/or are on certain mental health medications.
As you may have already guessed, I have lots of experience in working with kids in this age range who are, or have been, in out-of-home placements for various reasons (family problems, behavior problems, mental health issues, etc.). I have this experience through my various work settings over the years and at present, as well as for the past 2 years trying to help two older teens/young-adults with similar issues of being homeless etc.
In general, I agree with what a number of people here have said that no matter what you do or try to do to help this kid, there is a good chance that inherent in his personality are qualities that will cause him to not benefit from your help or help from anyone else. This can be due to lack of motivation, lack of social skills, a "the world owes me" mentality, genuine mental health issues, drug and/or crime involvement, etc.
Despite all of the above, I still try to help kids in these situations as much as I can, and it sounds like you would like to a least do a little to try in this kid's case.
If you want to do that, I would suggest some or all of the following:
Find out where the local County office for children and youth services is located and have the kid contact them. If he was "in the system", they will know him. And, if he was in but bombed out, they won't be very enthused about the idea of continuing to try to help him. They may be just as happy to cut him loose and keep him off the taxpayers' dole. But, they may have transitional or independent living programs for which he would be eligible.
If he qualifies, the idea of him joining the military is a good one. It's definitely 3 hots and a cot, and it's a paid job. If he is just a knucklehead that managed to get himself "homeless", and if he does not have a serious mental health issues and/or mental health meds, they may be glad to take him in.
Have him look for a "social services" (welfare?) office in his County and go there and apply for benefits. There are federal "food stamps" (called SNAP) programs for which he is probably eligible if he is not working. He may also qualify for "GA" (General Assistance) which is a small monthly stipend until he gets a job. Most of these programs are funded through the federal government but managed through the local County social services ("welfare") offices.
Have him go to some temporary help employment agencies to sign up for work. They send people out on temporary assignments doing things like working in a warehouse, unloading trucks and railroad boxcars, working on factory assembly lines, etc. They have many applicants who do not have transportation and they can either pick jobs sites for them near transportation or, in some cases, the workers meet at the temp help place and take a van or ride in a co-worker's car to get to work and back.
I wouldn't worry too much about finding "shelters" or similar places for homeless people. So far, he seems to be okay doing the couch surfing routine that he has going on with friends and others. Plus, the homeless shelter programs are really gross and not suited for someone his age.
Good luck.
Jake29 wrote:

P.S. I just noticed that this link says,
"Youth Covered By Policy
All youth ages fourteen (14) years and older served by DHR shall receive IL services. This includes:
a.. Youth in DHR custody who are currently living in a licensed approved out-of-home care placement or who are on a trial home visit; a.. Youth receiving on-going protective services; and a.. Youth ages eighteen through twenty years who (1) have been discharged from the system of care, (2) were in foster care on or prior to their eighteenth birthday, and (3) have returned to DHR to request services."
That last paragraph means that if the kid that you want to help was "in the system" before age 18, he can return and ask for transitional or independent living services.

Thanks for your suggestions.

To the point, well said.
Keeps bombing out of placements. I'm remembering a friend from years ago. He adopted a boy of about 14, who had been in the system. Intelligent, cheerful, handsome, and very talented boy. But, he'd developed a pattern of bombing out. As much as my friend tried to help, finally had to take the kid back to the "system" and it was a sad day for us all.
I've also heard that Russian orphanage kids are unmanagable, also. My cousin adopted a four year old Russian orphanage boy. Now in his teens, the boy is homeless, unmotivated, and trouble in so many ways. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote in message
And, as others have suggested, my guess is that he bombed out of whatever program he was in with the family who let him stay until he graduated from high school. That doesn't mean that he can't get into another program, but it is very possible that he keeps bombing out of his placements because he won't do what he needs to do, won't cooperate with his caretakers and is
oppositional and defiant, or runs the streets at all hours, or is involved with drugs and/or criminal/delinquent behavior. So, there is a good chance that even if you could "help" him by helping him find a program to get into, he'll bomb out. Regular teens who have a job and are generally motivated and cooperative with their caretakers don't get booted out of every place that they live.
Good luck.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmmm, I call human like that young or old regardless of sex perennial loser. Dumb = Too smart = reverse smart.(Old Chinese saying)
Metspitzer wrote:

But I bet he can't live without his iPhone, eh?
Metspitzer wrote:

Hi, If he is not afraid of hard work, he can go to Alaska and get a job. Sorry about the kid.
Nebraska oil fields? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Hi, If he is not afraid of hard work, he can go to Alaska and get a job. Sorry about the kid.
On 7/13/13 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, we actually have oil wells in the western and southwestern parts of the state.

Thank you for agreeing with me. Trim text is polite, too. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 7/13/13 6:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, we actually have oil wells in the western and southwestern parts of the state.

And what about North or maybe it's South Dakota?

Why did they ask him to leave? Let me guess, he did nothing around the house to help, he did nothing to help himself better his position. He thinks he should get everything for free.
I have a relative in a similar situation. He lived with us for a while but finally moved out. He has friends in similar situations. They have very little ambition and can't keep a job if they do get one.

My suggestion is to stop feeling sorry for the kid and let him take his lumps. The guy I'm talking about agreed to do some work for me to make some money. That was last summer. This weekend I'm going to finish one of the jobs he started but never completed.
I wish you good luck, but if your situation is anything like mine, He really does not want "help", he just wants you to do everything for him.

He is a teenager. I am pretty sure that was a factor.

Thanks
What about his joining the military, like the Navy or Air Force.
It'll give him a roof to sleep under, three squares a day, a regular pay cheque and train him for a career, depending on what he chooses as a carreer path. And, it'll teach him teamwork, leadership skills and self discipline, all of which are critical to making something of yourself in civilian life.
The US Navy, for example, has an excellent electrical engineering program. Many heavy duty diesel mechanics get trained in the army working on military trucks and equipment. The Air Force trains people to work as jet engine mechanics, and that's a well paying job in civilian life. You can even train to be a doctor or lawyer in the US military if you have the right stuff between your ears.
There are millions of people in the US that got their career training in the US military and went on to become successful professionals, tradespeople and business owners in civilian life. And I expect many of them would attribute much of their success in life to the values instilled in them by the military.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

Hi, Is there a G.I. Bill yet to further the education after service is done with honorable discharge? Is he orphan?