OT: Home Repair Puzzle Offshoot

Not really home repair related but amusing.
When I visited the Mayflower one in Plymouth MA, there were people on the ship who dressed, talked and played the part of no knowledge of anything beyond the era they portrayed.
One of the women tossed this out and I actually got it afther thinking for 30 sec or so.
What lives when it eats and dies when it drinks?

You're just trying to show how edjumikated you is! Showoff!
Gordon Shumway

Reply: Hey, I got lucky once! It's like gambling...you tout      the wins and hush-hush the losses.
Alternate reply:
    > edjumikated
    Nahhhh, I grew outta that.

A fire?