OT: Home Repair Puzzle

Page 2 of 2

"stan" wrote

That was my other idea ;-)

Plastic wrap may not be strong enough but there are some garbage bags that are.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

I had another thought besides ice. If he filled the cavity with vegetable oil and covered it with towels before sliding it into place, the hydraulic action of the oil being displaced could keep it from slamming down.
TDD

The he is installing it wrong. There needs to be some room for expansion or the wood flooring is going to buckle, Actually I believe this post is just some contrived BS.
Jimmie.

re: Actually I believe this post is just some contrived BS.
And I believe you haven't visited:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzler/transcripts/200933/index.html

Same thing here as it is there. Couldn't get a fishing line in means clearances in the few hundredths of an inch range and slab and hole are both perfectly the same shape. Sorry but this sets my BS detector off.
Jimmie

You said you believed that the *post* was contrived BS.
That's different than saying the *Puzzler* was contrived BS, thus my inclusion of the URL to the puzzler.
P.S. Similiar to your every day riddles, the Car Talk Puzzlers are about the solution, not about the question. Read some of the other Car Talk Puzzlers and you'll probably believe that most of them are "contrived BS" since most of them probably are. That's not the point - the point is having some fun trying to solve them.
Pavel314 wrote:

My guess would be "ice". Put it under the slab and it will melt and slowly lower it into the hole.
TDD
"Pavel314" wrote

He put it flat on the floor infront of the hole and shimmy'ed it in place
The answer is ice and this was on their show a few years ago. I got it right back then too.

This is WAY too easy. Ice.

I just caught this and have not read through the replies - really. Since you said kitchen, my initial thought was ice and let it melt.
TIme to read and see how I did.

Don't think the answer was ever posted in this thread. Ice was the correct answer on the web site.

Correct answer. Great! It's a crock of shit though. But I like the Tappet Bros.