OT: home cold remedies or over the counter meds for colds

Page 2 of 2
On 11/30/2012 12:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No, colds don't turn into allergies. They have symptoms in common, so when one resolves and the other kicks in, they might just seem continuous. A problem that most people don't know about is that overuse of decongestants can cause rebound symptoms (more sinus/nasal congestion and discharge).
When I worked as an occupational health nurse, employees came in to get OTC meds for whatever problem. Seeking decongestants for "runny nose" due to the air conditioning was popular...it wasn't exactly that the AC was CAUSING the problem, it was RELIEVING the problem. Warm, humid summer air with lots of allergens made chronically inflamed sinuses worse, sinuses swell and don't drain. Come into clean, cool air and voila! You don't need decongestants, the AC just fixed the problem.
Soooooooo many people have no idea what their meds, OTC or rx, actually do and how much harm they can do. Some day, with computer magic, we might know the cost of overprescribing (especially for elderly) in healthcare.

You sound like the kinda guy I'd like to talk to. I'm just a layman but I don't like taking medicine because I'm always afraid if I have to take a different medicine while the first one is still in me, what the interactions will be. Hence I don't like to take ANY medicine unless I have to. I'm also afraid of the toxicities that remain in my body from the meds afterward.
My wife makes me take cough medicine now because of my cold but I don't think it works but I do it just for her (so she doesn't keep nagging me giving me added stress).
Can you find a cold remedy that puts HER to sleep? Then, you can finish reading the news paper with your box of tissues at hand.
You sound like the kinda guy I'd like to talk to. I'm just a layman but I don't like taking medicine because I'm always afraid if I have to take a different medicine while the first one is still in me, what the interactions will be. Hence I don't like to take ANY medicine unless I have to. I'm also afraid of the toxicities that remain in my body from the meds afterward.
My wife makes me take cough medicine now because of my cold but I don't think it works but I do it just for her (so she doesn't keep nagging me giving me added stress).
On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 13:12:43 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I'll work on it <grin> !!! Thanks.
On 11-29-2012 11:27, Doug wrote:

Depends on the symptoms.
--
Wes Groleau

Nutrition for Blokes: Re-engineering your diet for life
On 11/29/2012 11:27 AM, Doug wrote:

Please don't take any of the remedy/medication-specific advice offered in other replies. What is safe and appropriate for one person may be medically dangerous for another. You should have a family physician you trust. That individual knows your medical history and should be the person answering this question for you. It should be worth the fee he/she may charge for the consultation not to risk making yourself or someone you love worse.
On 11/30/2012 10:12 AM, Peter wrote:

$100 is an expensive visit for cold remedies....my advice always assumes that folks read the labels. Anyone with either a diagnosis or at high risk of heart, blood pressure, prostate, glaucoma problems should stear clear of decongestants unless recommended by a doc. If one has liver problems, tylenol and many other drugs might be a problem. Blood clotting issues? Aspirin might be ruled out.

I agree with you Norminn and that's why I asked. I do have a doctor I trust for colds but I hate to have to spend $100 or so just to shake a cold. I replied earlier to you so I won't repeat it here but appreciate your informative replies.

Nothing a doctor will do can rid you of the cold. You can eliminate or reduce symptoms. In the morning, take an aspirin or two. At night, take an ounce of two of your favorite brandy or liquor and go to bed. Put the $100 into Bayer stock rather than a doctor visit.

For a common cold??? I understand your concern (thanks) and I do have a doctor I trust for my colds but 99% of the time I can shake a cold on my own. I have my own methods what I think works for me but I just wanted to hear what others do in case I think that might be better for me as I age. Appreciate your advice.
Fun movie. I saw that, years ago. The otherwise ordinary guy is no match for fast food.

If you liked that statement then I think you'll love this documentary:
Super Size Me by Morgan Spurlock
(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/

1. Extra strong cinnamon tablets (common in British pharmacies 50 years ago. I do not know if they are still sold.) 2. Bicycle ride of at least 8 miles. (This was the only sure cure when I lived in germ-ridden London, where it seems no longer safe to commute on a bike.)
N.American pharmacies used to stock Sudafed which worked well: but I think this is now controlled to inhibit druggies.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs