OT Hiking trail distance

Google has a way to plot a trail and tell you what the distance is, but it is either too complicated or I am stupid or both. I figured out how to do it last year, but I can't' figure it out this year.
But good for me, here is an easier one: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm It is idiot proof. Idiot tested and idiot approved.
------- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

As an alternative, you could use one of the Map My Fitness sites. http://www.mapmyhike.com /
I use mapmyride.com for my bike rides, and you can search for other hikes/rides/runs on one of those sites. Pretty nifty.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

changes before you get a chance to read it.
Am I the only one that gets information overload from websites?

I don't understand. What's changing before you can read it? When I use their sister site, and on just quickly viewing their hiking site, nothing changed unless I clicked on a button. What exactly is happening for you?
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:33:12 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

different if you are logged on. I didn't log on.

I didn't log on - I don't even know if the hiking page would accept the biking page log on (probably, but I didn't try it). What information is changing so quickly that you can't read it? I've never seen anything like that on any page unless it was some advertising (which I didn't want to read anyway) or a video (which usually lets you pause it).
I'd like to know as I do send people to those pages on occasion and you're the first that's telling me there's a problem.
On 3/15/2011 9:16 PM, RicodJour wrote:

The top half of the page at http://www.mapmyhike.com/ flashes from one image to another before one can be read....that is what he is talking about. If it works for you that is great but, I agree that it is VERY annoying and I certainly don't plan to go to that site again.
Don
IGot2P wrote:

<rant>
It's an ad-ridden website for cubicle-inhabiting yuppies who would be miserable outside of a mall, so instead they engage their focus on their consumerist lifestyles so they can tolerate "hiking". These are the kind of people who want cellphone towers in wilderness areas so they can call for help when they stub their toe, and join backpacking forums to learn what the latest "app" is for their nature walks.
They are the antithesis of the kind of people with whom I have shared the musty dusty trails with for the last 30 or so odd years.
</rant>
Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.
Jon
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 23:25:11 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

in and air lift my Orca ass off the trail.

James Kim pretty much proved the probability of that not happening and he made his living review techno gagdets:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-12-08-kim-lock_x.htm
If you want the real deal, get a personal locator beacon (PLB), which is satellite based technology. They ain't cheap, but they'll get yer ass home. What's yer life worth?
nb

why not put cellphone transponders on the Ranger towers? also,cell towers can be disguised as trees.
the only real reason is economic;there just aren't enough users to justify the expense in remote locations. Plus,it's hard to get electric power out to them for the transponders. such folks should rent or buy satellite phones,if they want service in remote areas.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yeah. It's pretty funny. I wanna get as far away from civilization as possible, yet still have full contact in case I get my ass in a jam.
nb

Not everyone that goes into the wilderness has the intent to stay there permanently. I believe it's called...what's the word I'm looking for...? Oh yes, a getaway or vacation.
In any event, if someone wants to get away from it all, they shouldn't stay on land.
Oren wrote:

If a man says something and a woman isn't around is he still wrong?

If a tree in the forest fell on a mime and no one was around to see it, would anybody even care?
On Mar 16, 2:25am, "Jon Danniken"

No problem. I always enjoy the irony of a nice newsgroup Luddite rant. ;)
I can understand the frustration from sites with stupid advertising, but I'm wondering why people are seeing the advertising at all. If it bothers you, use popup blockers and disallow javascript. 95% of the time all you'll miss is the crap, pages load faster, etc.
On 3/16/2011 1:25 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Next time, don't beat around the bush, just spit it out. :-)
Don
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:16:46 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Going to ................... http://www.mapmyhike.com / I took 4 screenshots of the first page. The information switches even without me moving my mouse.
http://img251.imageshack.us/i/0067h.jpg/
http://img821.imageshack.us/i/0066ul.jpg/
http://img846.imageshack.us/i/0065.jpg/
http://img42.imageshack.us/i/0064u.jpg/

Wow - that does suck. Stupid site design. Rule number one when designing a site is Don't Piss Off Your Viewers. I have popup blockers on stun and only allow java script sparingly, so I don't see those things. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. R
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

I am sure I can get past first impressions