OT - HF 45807 stretched out

Page 1 of 2
With strap on head lamps on sale at HF for $2.49 I bought another one, to use to replace one with the elastic stretched out. It's too tight when new, and after a few uses, I'm at the end of the adjustment. I may buy some elastic at the store, and splice in some stretchy for one of my stretched out lights.
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlamp-with-swivel-lens-45807.html
Is there a reasonably priced head lamp that runs on AA cells (triple A don't last very long)? Or should I get some elastic and practice my sewing skills?
✖
On Jan 11, 9:20 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folks<G>?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/11/2012 10:00 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Chris may have a big old American head like many of us with European ancestry but Asians have pointy little heads. If you've ever seen Asian construction workers in pictures and videos of job sites where they are wearing hardhats, you may have noticed they all have chinstraps to hold them on. I've noticed that a lot of Asian produced products are made for folks with smaller hands and bodies. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Ahhhh...... sooooo....... actually, I never thought of that. I bet you're right. I ought to buy from a US made distributor. And, all this time, I thought it was just cheap junk elastic that stretched out.

Chris may have a big old American head like many of us with European ancestry but Asians have pointy little heads. If you've ever seen Asian construction workers in pictures and videos of job sites where they are wearing hardhats, you may have noticed they all have chinstraps to hold them on. I've noticed that a lot of Asian produced products are made for folks with smaller hands and bodies. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Hey, you're not going to call me egghead, like everyone did in school?
Have you compared your head size with that of more normal folks<G>?
Add pictures here
✖
Either surf on over to Amazon.com and search for "petzl headlamp" or learn how to sew.
On 1/11/2012 10:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED lights. Here's one:
✖
Great idea. I'd seen clip on lights, five LED, at Real Deals Dollar Store. Might have bought one, can't remember. Took one or two coin batteries.
For many projects, you can't go wrong with a baseball cap containing LED lights. Here's one:
✖
Robert Green wrote:

When you take off your hat, you're supposed to turn off the lamps. Here's an easy way to remember: "Take OFF the hat, turn OFF the hat."
I've had my hat for over a year (Christmas before last) and it still works swell.
'Course you may work on more projects than I, or take more time on each project than I, or do your work only at night.
Add pictures here
✖
http://my.opera.com/AOTEAROAnz/albums/showpic.dml?albumS1421&picture ‰50078#bigimg
Is this why our top-posting friend needs a headlamp with long battery life?
Add pictures here
✖
Is it true? Some men wear a ball hat, even to bed? Maybe Ron Howard?

First, you gotta remember to take off the hat. That's hard enough to remember! :-)
Add pictures here
✖

They're properly doused, thank you. This is a simple matter of physics. Brighter lights usually require more power. The hat is much, MUCH dimmer than any of the other headband LEDs that I have - and that's quite a few. (-: I collect flashlights. They're in every tool box, in the cars, and there's one hanging on a hook in the bedroom closet. When the power fails, having good light and both hands free is a great advantage. I've got at least five different models. There are some that run on very thick AG-series button cells but I decided that it's much better to purchase models that run on batteries I can recharge. That's the most economical option.
The hats produce adequate light for many task, but I've read Stormie needs a lot of light for his locksmithing work. I cut off my garden hose lock at night (in the rain) and I wore the hat, my buddy wore the headband. That made it obvious how much difference there was in both brightness and wideness of the illumination field. The hat was useful to keep my hair dry. Brightness issues and high cost of operation seems to make the hat a bad choice for the OP. However, the hat is a very GOOD choice some applications. I use them in the cars because outside the home I don't to want to look like some Star Trek Borg on a rampage. A hat's a hell of a lot less conspicious than a head-band unit.
So I agree with you that for many projects like use off the premises, they're stylish, warm, easy to use, not too geek-ish and good for making sure you're not going to step in an open well. From this and past threads, I believe the OP has expressed a strong preference for bright light but only he can tell us what his preferences/needs are precisely. I'm guessing that he wants a bright light that doesn't require frequent or expensive battery changes that also stays on his head. That's just logical. Most of these units come with AAA cells. I use rechargeables so I can always "top them off" in the monthly rolling inspections and the battery caps seem robust enough to endure frequent reloading.
I've often wished that the units used AA's because they deliver the best cost per lumen numbers which also means fewer battery changes. But it could be the weight of 3 AA cells would make the unit uncomfortable for more than a few minutes. If I cared, I would wire a mini-jack to the lamp and the batteries and use a charger for NiMH cells that had a mini plug ending. I have a number of LED flashlights that have that feature and it's very useful.

I doubt you use yours as much as I use mine. Just for fun, I tried using the hat today working on the van's dashboard and I had to take it off and hold it close to the console to read the small letters.

I have the caps on every time I go out and use them to light up my walking to and from parking spaces, etc. You'd be surprised how dark it's getting as streetlighting is cut back all around this area. I also buy cheap packs of CR2032's from Ebay and let's just say there's a substantial premature failure rate. That's why I've created a bandolier in the lining of the cap.
Since mine are used away from home, I don't want to be hunting around four CR2032 button cells late at night. One of the kids that used to work for me said he paid $12 for one at a drugstore at 11PM in NYC when his car transponder's battery failed at a valet parking garage. What the world needs now is safe, user-rechargeable AA and AA lithium cells.
FWIW, I had the center LED on one cap fail. I got out the lifetime warranty, decided at $5 plus the cost of return postage that I would retire the hat until at least another one failed. I was folding it into a storage bag when I decided to remove the button cells. I tried the sucker one last time and discovered it's a wire problem, not a bad LED. The center LED fired up just fine. Fingering around the brim I could induce it to fail. It's being held in "injured reserve."
The hats, while having some nice features, may not be bright enough or economical enough for the OP. With industrial use, I am sure those batteries would require frequent changing - at least more than once yearly. The wiring harness on the hat makes it pretty easy to solder in some AA battery holders and maybe even a charging jack but that would void the warranty.
What I'd really like is a flashing red LED at the back of the hat to make me visible walking down a dark road. It's probably illegal in at least some jurisdiction to have a flashing red light on your head. Ever see Kentucky Fried Movie and the Master Bong Soo Han segment?
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/13/2012 3:41 PM, Robert Green wrote: ...big snip...

maybe not. there's lots of bicycles around with a flashing light on the back.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/11/2012 10:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He said it works great.
Add pictures here
✖
Years ago, I taped and stapled a "Photon" style squeeze light to my baseball cap. Have to check that some day, probably batteries dead by now. Worked OK.
I saw a guy who took the free HF light and duct taped it to his cap. He said it works great.
Add pictures here
✖

Go to a fabric shop and get a replacement band. It's not that hard to stitch one up.
I picked up a 65 lumen headlamp at a garage sale that had a stretched band After fixing, it now it sits in the car toolbox for emergencies.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 11, 9:20 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Buy some replacement bands at any welding supply shop. They are fairly cheap, and last a long time.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Welding supply? I'll admit, I've never heard of that. Do they sell elastic straps for.... uh, for.... uh, what?
Buy some replacement bands at any welding supply shop. They are fairly cheap, and last a long time.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/12/2012 2:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Welding goggles silly boy. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖