OT - HELP !!! I'm falling and can't get up!!!!

Page 1 of 2
From another list. =====================Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:38 PM
We got hit pretty hard over night (Monday night) with freezing rain that turned to ice. I had an experience today that has me pondering on how better to be prepared in the future.
I was at home working around the house. I heard someone yelling my name over and over from out- side. It sounded like my neighbor and my first thought was "Oh God, he's fallen in my driveway" but when I opened the door he wasn't there but still calling my name, so I looked down to his house (2 houses over) and there he was lying on the ground by his truck, in a pair of shorts, tshirt and moccassins. He said "Call 911 I've broken my leg".
My stupid Verizon cell phone would not call out to 911 (I've had this problem before and they said they didn't know why, time definitely for new phones). Anyways, I called my friend across the street and had her call 911. I got on my boots and coat and tried to walk across my yard and could not move, it was solid thick sheet of ice so I could not get to him. He said "I'm so cold" my other friend had her teen girls run over with a blanket to cover him till the emergency squad came.
We had 300 emergency room visits today in our city from people falling and getting hurt on the ice.
Sorry long story but now my thoughts are:
The only alternative I can think of for me to have gotten to him without falling and breaking my leg, back, neck too was if I had those ski things, don't know what they are called but they are hand held sticks that skiers use to guide them in the snow. Would that work? And of course, our driveway and streets were even worse.
Ends up my neighbor didn't break his leg but broke his knee instead and will have surgery tommorow. ====================You may have been able to get there by crawling. Of course, gloves and knee pads would help.
Your idea of ski poles may have worked. Another idea, is the one time I got my van stuck on ice, a salt truck spreading salt helped me to get enough traction to get off the ice. If you had enough rock salt or kitty litter, you might have been able to spread salt in front of yourself.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/climb/crampons/neve-strap
Remember the old clamp on roller skates? Mountain climbers have something called "crampons" which strap on like the old roller skates. But which have wicked sharp points to dig into ice.
Golf cleat shoes may have beeen useful. I'm less sure about the golf cleats.

In Canada where winter ice is frequent some shoe stores sell crampon kits to attach to shoes or boots. We keep one pair in the car glove box and another in the house, and need them a dozen times a year, e.g. walking 25 yards to the mailbox. Highways are heavily salted in icy weather (with consequent rust damage to vehicles.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I didn't go to the ER, but I did get a concussion yesterday. Slipped on ice under the snow and was on my back before I even realized I was falling, banged the back of my head on the ice. Scary for a few seconds because at first, I could not move at all. I'll have some effects for a few days, at least. I'm not going out at al today.
On 2/2/2011 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sorry to hear that and hope you are okay. I'm 67 and have gotten really, really cautious on ice and snow; indoors, too, with nightlights, etc. Have been out shoveling some of our driveway today, taking time out. Grandsons will finish. I figure if it doesn't kill me, it is good exercise, carefully and in moderation. This snow is crusty on top and very heavy. Still some discussion, I think, of the possibility of some freezing rain for our area of N. Indiana (not lake)...don't want the whole mess frozen in place.
On 2/2/2011 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My fall happened 2 days ago and I sprained my wrist. Wife tried to get me to go to the doctor but I've nursed it myself and its getting better. I walk daily for exercise and knew path was icy but did it anyway. Now I'm sticking to walking indoors or using exercise bike. I also fell using snow thrower, heard wife yell to be careful when I got up and found her videotaping me. Someone said I could become a utube sensation but I'll be damned if I'll upload it.
I always carry cell phone when out in the elements. My dad, when in his 80's fell in the snow his parking lot and though unhurt could not get up and it was 15 minutes before someone found him.

Make them wear an alert thingy. It works!
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/2/2011 1:16 PM, Han wrote:

I think the alert thingy only works in the house where the receiver is and besides a Tracfone is much cheaper - <$10 vs ~$30/month.
It is good for the confined elderly as it is always with them. I heard of one couple using it to summon help when their house was being burglarized.
Dad died over 10 years ago at age 88 but spent the last 5 years in a nursing home after a stroke. The woman in the apartment below his heard him banging on the floor but if he had the alert thingy and was able to use it, it might have kept him out of the nursing home as rapid stroke response can save the further brain injury that occurs thereafter.

The alert thingy hangs around your neck, so it is always with you. A cell phone may be in your pocket, or may be on the litchen counter or the nightstand when you fall next to the dining room table and break your hip. Happened to Dad, and the alert thingy got the neighbor there in a flash.
--
Best regards
Han

My wife fell in the driveway and had quite a wait. Now, she it not allowed to even go to the mailbox without a cellphone. She's had a couple of issues to warrant that.

I'd still have her wear an alert thingy. When you're off to the grocery store she might fall inside the house. As I said, happened to Dad (after Mom had passed away).
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/2/2011 2:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service, can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for sale at less than $10.
TDD

Point is that a phone on the kitchen counter is no help. How are you nailingit to the person in potential need of it? A clickable button on a string around the neck is easier.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/3/2011 9:02 AM, Han wrote:

I agree, I used to sell them in the alarm industry but cellphones are so small now, it would be easy to make up a little holster that could be worn around a persons neck.
TDD

The little Samsungs I got from VW/Fry's are just slightly larger than some of the neck chain units I've seen. Small enough to keep clipped to my belt or slipped into a pocket. I agree that the transponder you're talking about is smaller and simpler to operate, but having a cellphone in your hands when you've fallen down and can't get up can summon the exact help required. I got a transponder unit from Smarthome but it was the most complicated thing I've run across. It required a separate, corded POTs phone to be able to record a personalized message and the programming instructions were spread across several different booklets and instruction sheets. Very user unfriendly and, as a result, never got used. Still is sitting in the closet.
I got a prepaid cell for an elderly friend instead of a transponder because he expressed a fear that a transponder would simply dial 911 and summon the fire department who would then axe his door down (really - no jest!). I know there are some more expensive units that allow voice contact, and that the dialers can be set to dial friends and family or 911, but I still prefer having a phone.
The upshot of all this is whether it's a cell phone or a necklace transponder, it's a good idea to be able to contact help in case of an emergency. I spent two hours crumpled up on the basement floor next to the dryer when I ruptured a disc. That convinced me that it was smart to have *some* way to get help if you're alone and immobilized. For a while I used a cordless phone but not a single one I've seen has keyboard lockout. Clip it to your belt and you'll soon be dialing someone or taking the phone off hook simply because you bumped into something. If anyone has a cordless that has a bump-proof keypad, I'd love to hear about it.
-- Bobby G.

Bobby, your points are well-taken. Just as another consideration, cellphone reception in my home is poor, and in the basement probably absent or at least as bad as atrocious. Sorry about your disc problem. I had several attacks of sciatica myself, and haven't enjoyed any of them ...
--
Best regards
Han

That's a good point - I get great cellphone reception on Verizon all throughout the house - even in the basement because they have a tower right near the house. ATT - no so good. It's something to check thoroughly before adopting a cell phone as an emergency measure. Fortunately the prepaid Samsungs allow you to operate the camera, check signal strength and so on without activating them.
As for back problems, I brought it on myself by raking up seventeen 39 gal. bags of leaves in one day. Later, when I went to take the clothes out of the dryer I bent over and down I went, like a sack of cement. As you probably know, once a disc ruptures, you're screwed for life. If only I wasn't such a macho idiot out to prove how many leaves I could rake in a day. Now I never lift anything bigger than my head. (-:
-- Bobby G.

So sorry for you. The cople of times with sciatica, I don't really know what I did, except maybe overdo something or another.
--
Best regards
Han

Thanks. I don't know whether it's better to know what hurt you or not. Sucks either way.
-- Bobby G.
On 2/3/2011 11:00 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I didn't know they still made any non-flip cell phones without a locking keypad. My last phone was a cheap Motorola but I don't know the model #. I think it cost me about $20. I'm now using a $25 LG flip phone so I don't need to worry about locking the keypad.

some
belt
about
when
thing
spread
because
the
that
prefer
the
have
used
Clip
off
Sorry. I switched subjects without a "break, break." (-"
I am looking for a cordless (not cell) phone with a bump proof keypad. The kind that has a base unit that plugs into the POTS line. A flip cordless would be fine but I've yet to see a cordless one or a standard one with a keypad lockout. Maybe it's a patent issue but I've seen dozens of cordless phones and owned quite a few. Not a single one offers any protection against accidentally key "bumps" and worse, still, redial seems to the button that gets pressed accidentally the most.
-- Bobby G.