OT - Heat output of oil lamp

Yes we have tried. I mentioned to Chris more than several times about children in Ethiopia having to walk for days to even get hands on a computer. How they may miss an entire thread because of the way a server truncates threads.

His top posting is not something _ Jesus_ would do.

I've explained how he could read about this, especially about how Usenet works -- but he ignores it. Purely a selfish move on his part.

Now watch how he ignores me and fails to respond. Trust me. Not all Mormons are acting like him, well, except Harry Reid in Nevada.

Reply to
Oren

Thanks for all the information.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ahhh..... so much better.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 10/27/2010 1:30 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Did you think you changed your setup? You didn't; everything is *still* below your sig, and gets cut off when replying to, as you can see here.

OK, let's make a deal. Let's just forget about the top-posting for the time being (one step at a time), and let's just try to get your newsreader (Outhouse Express) set up correctly so that your sig gets put at the *very end* of your messages, OK? That'll put your postings in line with most everyone else 'round heah.

If you can't manage this, I'm sure there's some 12-year-old kid around who would be glad to take 10 minutes and do it. Or maybe you know some other computer-savvy person. (Sorry, since I don't use Outlook I can't help you.) In any case, it should be a simple configuration matter.

I look forward to your new, improved posts.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

After you changed your post around, your post was so much better. Let me know when the new, improve posts start.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

------------------------------------- Stormin',

Thanks for the question. I'm sitting here with 4 wick kero lamps warming my small basement room and you made me come up with the calculations, which makes running down to the kero station look a little more foolish than I originally thought.

Kero: 135000 btu/gal. Electric: 3410 btu/kwh

135000 / 3410 = 39.6 kwh.

It depends on the cost for a gallon of kero and the cost of a kilowatt hour of electricity in your local area. In mine, I'm looking at only a 26 cent savings per 135000 btu using kero, which hardly accounts for the gasoline for the trip to the gas station, and the maintenace required for these lamps. And most space heaters come with an automatic thermostat. Hmmm. Pardon me whilst I kick myself.

Reply to
Yknott

Reply to
jordonwrightanderson10

135,000 btu per gallon or 1054 per ounce. If you burn an ounce per hour, you will still be cold in the house. Typical 120V space heater is five times that.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One power cut, I tried a 11,000 BTU kerosene heater, which did not keep my trailer warm. Oil lamps, well, better than nothing. I'd light all of them, plus stove burners and anything else for heat. Trailers lose heat in the winter, at amazing rate.

Yes, typical electric is 5,200 BTU per hour.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for bring up this three and a half year old thread. It's cold again, wonders.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good answer. I'd say those Kosmos lamps with the round or ring shaped wicks ought to put out 2 to 3 times as much heat as a standard kerosene lamp. I know I had an Aladdin lamp once and that thing put out quite a noticeable amount of heat. A Kosmos has the same type of wick, but not the temperamental mantel. Kosmos are not as expensive nor are replacement chimneys if u break one. If you're more interested in heat the mantel is not necessary. Aladdins get so hot I broke the chimney by turning up the flame too quickly in a cold room.

Reply to
bad brain

I love my Aladdin. You are correct about the serious heat. Serious light output too. 40 to 60 watts.

Reply to
Thomas

Since we're talking about kerosene lamps.

In cowboy movies, sometimes they turn the flame down very low when they go to sleep and then turn it up again the next morning.

Can the flame really be low enough that it doesn't burn a significant amount of kerosene during a whole 8-hour night?

Is this true even if one is a cowboy with little money, at whatever price kerosene sold for in the 1870's and 80's.

Or was the price of matches so high that it was worth wasting a significant amount of kerosene?

Micky

Reply to
micky

TV cowboys make a lot more money than real cowboys. ;-)

Reply to
Fake ID

Absolutely. I would guess my lamp on low would burn for days if not weeks. I'll test it out.

Reply to
Thomas

Good to hear. Cowboy movies and other westerns are my biggest source of info about American from 1865 to 1898.

Reply to
micky

I bought 2 Amie Kosmo lamps for this purpose which have round cylindrical wicks and they probably burn nearly twice as much per hour so I'm thinking maybe 4000 btu/hr. I know these things put out a good bit of heat. It seems the original ones used a chimney made in Germany which burns nice and clean without any smell. I'm going to order another one of these chimneys. I bought a small in house propane heater and was surprised it burned through propane a lot faster than they claimed. A 20 lb tank only lasted me 3 weeks and that was on low usually less than 1 hr a day and never over 2 hours-only once or twice. Propane is expensive; I put the heater in the storage shed. Its not I can't afford this stuff; I'm looking for the most inexpensive way to heat which also has the least environmental impact.

Reply to
discountbrains

I have a small 10 foot by 8 foot partially insulated shed as my man cave an d during the winter keep it above freezing in the winter using small 1/4 in ch round wick oil lamps. So if its 32 outside one lamp will keep it about 4

2 inside. if it goes down to 10 outside two lamps will keep it just above f reezing. My estimate based on each small lamp using 3 oz of kerosene per da y is each lamp puts out just about 40 watts per hour of heat or 132 btu per hour.

A typical human at rest puts out pending body size from 60 to 80 watts an h our. If I am in the shed with the doors closed and the one lamp burning the internal temp rises pretty quickly by about 15 degrees from 40 to 55 or so in half an hour so the real world math adds up.

If I ever finish insulating the sides and floor better with the ceiling pea k vents and soffet vents completely separated from the interior space I am sure the one lamp would provide more like a 20 degree F increase over outsi de temps.

R.

Reply to
ralphrides

my man cave and during the winter keep it above freezing in the winter using small 1/4 inch round wick oil lamps. So if its 32 outside one lamp will keep it about 42 inside. if it goes down to 10 outside two lamps will keep it just above freezing. My estimate based on each small lamp using 3 oz of kerosene per day is each lamp puts out just about 40 watts per hour of heat or 132 btu per hour.

60 to 80 watts an hour. If I am in the shed with the doors closed and the one lamp burning the internal temp rises pretty quickly by about 15 degrees from 40 to 55 or so in half an hour so the real world math adds up.

with the ceiling peak vents and soffet vents completely separated from the interior space I am sure the one lamp would provide more like a 20 degree F increase over outside temps.

Where I live in wetern NYS, we do have power cuts now and again. And usually in the winter when heat is needed. I was thinking that since I have a few oil lamps, I'd light them if I needed the heat. Sounds like you do that. I'm pleased to hear I'm on the right track.

My oil lamps burn about an ounce of fuel per hour, which is "about" 1,000 BTU per hour.

BTW, I'm the original poster in this thread, from so many years back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I didn't write this. This forum is messed up. I don't have an Aladdin lamp.

This is supposed to be a response to what was said by bad brain.

Reply to
bad brain