OT - Heat output of oil lamp

Page 2 of 2
On 10/24/2010 1:26 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

OK, Stormie: I've got a few minutes on my hands I can afford to waste here, so I'm going to try to drill into that rather thick skull of yours just why your posts are so annoyingly malformed.
It's not just the top-posting, though that's one strike against you to start. Even the other top-posters here have their news clients set up to respond properly to posts; you don't.
I'll show you why. Below is your message, the one I replied to here, copied and pasted, with various parts labeled. Here's an explanation:
(A) This is your (top-posted) reply. (B) This is your sig. (This is your sig on drugs ...) (C) This is the text of THE MESSAGE YOU WERE REPLYING TO.
Now, I've put that last part in ALL CAPS to point out why your replies are malformed. You see, by widely-agreed-upon Usenet convention, one's sig is the last part of the message. *Everything* below the sig delimiter (the "-- " at the top of the sig) is considered part of the sig.
Also by Usenet convention, sigs are discarded when one replies to a message containing one. This is built into the behavior of *most* news clients. (Not sure about the one you're using, which happens to be Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931.)
Therefore, when you reply to someone, top-posting as you do, everything they wrote becomes part of your sig.
Therefore, when someone replies to one of *your* messages, any previous text that you replied to gets thrown away.
Which makes your postings here unique. Just not in a good way.
You're welcome.
Here's your message, with parts labeled: ================================================================(A) Naah, just staying where I am. I don't have the money to buy my own fundamentalist compound.
(B)
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 10/24/2010 5:12 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

(snip) It's pointless. We've all tried. He just doesn't care.
--
aem sends....

Yes we have tried. I mentioned to Chris more than several times about children in Ethiopia having to walk for days to even get hands on a computer. How they may miss an entire thread because of the way a server truncates threads.
His top posting is not something _ Jesus_ would do.
I've explained how he could read about this, especially about how Usenet works -- but he ignores it. Purely a selfish move on his part.
Now watch how he ignores me and fails to respond. Trust me. Not all Mormons are acting like him, well, except Harry Reid in Nevada.
Thanks for all the information.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
> Hmm. That's a good idea. Now, I just need a couple more wives.
Planning on moving up to Northern Arizona, are you?
Ahhh..... so much better.....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Did you think you changed your setup? You didn't; everything is *still* below your sig, and gets cut off when replying to, as you can see here.
OK, let's make a deal. Let's just forget about the top-posting for the time being (one step at a time), and let's just try to get your newsreader (Outhouse Express) set up correctly so that your sig gets put at the *very end* of your messages, OK? That'll put your postings in line with most everyone else 'round heah.
If you can't manage this, I'm sure there's some 12-year-old kid around who would be glad to take 10 minutes and do it. Or maybe you know some other computer-savvy person. (Sorry, since I don't use Outlook I can't help you.) In any case, it should be a simple configuration matter.
I look forward to your new, improved posts.
After you changed your post around, your post was so much better. Let me know when the new, improve posts start.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

FWIW, according to:<<http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl ? msg_id0Qj8>>
"An Aladdin mantle lamp will use, at full bore, about one gallon of kerosene for every 50 hours of use. Output is 3500 BTU's... more than enough to heat one well-insulated room in winter. In addition to light, you can cook on one... the heat escaping the chimney is over 400 degrees F. Inventive minds can design a sturdy, tall stand to hold a skillet for cooking. Don't have an inventive mind? Better cultivate one, or make close acquaintance with one soon... you'll need it to get through what's coming."
Northe
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/OT-Heat-output-of-oil-lamp-594750-.htm Yknott wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

------------------------------------- Stormin',
Thanks for the question. I'm sitting here with 4 wick kero lamps warming my small basement room and you made me come up with the calculations, which makes running down to the kero station look a little more foolish than I originally thought.
Kero: 135000 btu/gal. Electric: 3410 btu/kwh 135000 / 3410 = 39.6 kwh.
It depends on the cost for a gallon of kero and the cost of a kilowatt hour of electricity in your local area. In mine, I'm looking at only a 26 cent savings per 135000 btu using kero, which hardly accounts for the gasoline for the trip to the gas station, and the maintenace required for these lamps. And most space heaters come with an automatic thermostat. Hmmm. Pardon me whilst I kick myself.
On Friday, October 22, 2010 7:16:03 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

135,000 btu per gallon or 1054 per ounce. If you burn an ounce per hour, you will still be cold in the house. Typical 120V space heater is five times that.
On 4/5/2014 6:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One power cut, I tried a 11,000 BTU kerosene heater, which did not keep my trailer warm. Oil lamps, well, better than nothing. I'd light all of them, plus stove burners and anything else for heat. Trailers lose heat in the winter, at amazing rate.
Yes, typical electric is 5,200 BTU per hour.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Thanks for bring up this three and a half year old thread. It's cold again, wonders.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Since we're talking about kerosene lamps.
In cowboy movies, sometimes they turn the flame down very low when they go to sleep and then turn it up again the next morning.
Can the flame really be low enough that it doesn't burn a significant amount of kerosene during a whole 8-hour night?
Is this true even if one is a cowboy with little money, at whatever price kerosene sold for in the 1870's and 80's.
Or was the price of matches so high that it was worth wasting a significant amount of kerosene?
Micky

On 10/27/2014 5:52 PM, micky wrote:

TV cowboys make a lot more money than real cowboys. ;-)
On Monday, October 27, 2014 5:52:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Absolutely. I would guess my lamp on low would burn for days if not weeks. I'll test it out.

Good to hear. Cowboy movies and other westerns are my biggest source of info about American from 1865 to 1898.

On Friday, October 22, 2010 at 10:16:03 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a small 10 foot by 8 foot partially insulated shed as my man cave an d during the winter keep it above freezing in the winter using small 1/4 in ch round wick oil lamps. So if its 32 outside one lamp will keep it about 4 2 inside. if it goes down to 10 outside two lamps will keep it just above f reezing. My estimate based on each small lamp using 3 oz of kerosene per da y is each lamp puts out just about 40 watts per hour of heat or 132 btu per hour.
A typical human at rest puts out pending body size from 60 to 80 watts an h our. If I am in the shed with the doors closed and the one lamp burning the internal temp rises pretty quickly by about 15 degrees from 40 to 55 or so in half an hour so the real world math adds up.
If I ever finish insulating the sides and floor better with the ceiling pea k vents and soffet vents completely separated from the interior space I am sure the one lamp would provide more like a 20 degree F increase over outsi de temps.
R.

my man cave and during the winter keep it above freezing in the winter using small 1/4 inch round wick oil lamps. So if its 32 outside one lamp will keep it about 42 inside. if it goes down to 10 outside two lamps will keep it just above freezing. My estimate based on each small lamp using 3 oz of kerosene per day is each lamp puts out just about 40 watts per hour of heat or 132 btu per hour.

60 to 80 watts an hour. If I am in the shed with the doors closed and the one lamp burning the internal temp rises pretty quickly by about 15 degrees from 40 to 55 or so in half an hour so the real world math adds up.

with the ceiling peak vents and soffet vents completely separated from the interior space I am sure the one lamp would provide more like a 20 degree F increase over outside temps.

Where I live in wetern NYS, we do have power cuts now and again. And usually in the winter when heat is needed. I was thinking that since I have a few oil lamps, I'd light them if I needed the heat. Sounds like you do that. I'm pleased to hear I'm on the right track.
My oil lamps burn about an ounce of fuel per hour, which is "about" 1,000 BTU per hour.
BTW, I'm the original poster in this thread, from so many years back.
--
.
Christopher A. Young