OT - Heat output of oil lamp

Page 1 of 2
Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They put out some heat. But, how much?
Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from there.
If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They put out some heat. But, how much?
Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from there.
If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.
Gallon of kerosene is 135,000 Btu. 1 gallon = 128 oz. or 1055 Btu per oz. For comparison, a typical electric space heater is 5000 Btu per hour so you'd have to burn about 5 oz. per hour to give off that much heat.
Add pictures here
✖
OK, that give me something to work with. Thank you.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

its probably a good idea to have a small very well insulated disaster room in your home, the size of say a walk in closet...
stocked with shelf stable food some bottled water etc.
if well insulated enough minmial additional heat would be needed
Add pictures here
✖
replying to Stormin Mormon, discountbrains wrote:

I bought 2 Amie Kosmo lamps for this purpose which have round cylindrical wicks and they probably burn nearly twice as much per hour so I'm thinking maybe 4000 btu/hr. I know these things put out a good bit of heat. It seems the original ones used a chimney made in Germany which burns nice and clean without any smell. I'm going to order another one of these chimneys. I bought a small in house propane heater and was surprised it burned through propane a lot faster than they claimed. A 20 lb tank only lasted me 3 weeks and that was on low usually less than 1 hr a day and never over 2 hours-only once or twice. Propane is expensive; I put the heater in the storage shed. Its not I can't afford this stuff; I'm looking for the most inexpensive way to heat which also has the least environmental impact.
Add pictures here
✖
replying to Ed Pawlowski, bad brain wrote:

Good answer. I'd say those Kosmos lamps with the round or ring shaped wicks ought to put out 2 to 3 times as much heat as a standard kerosene lamp. I know I had an Aladdin lamp once and that thing put out quite a noticeable amount of heat. A Kosmos has the same type of wick, but not the temperamental mantel. Kosmos are not as expensive nor are replacement chimneys if u break one. If you're more interested in heat the mantel is not necessary. Aladdins get so hot I broke the chimney by turning up the flame too quickly in a cold room.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:44:05 PM UTC-4, bad brain wrote:

I love my Aladdin. You are correct about the serious heat. Serious light output too. 40 to 60 watts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:16:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Lights, but they don't last as long. Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations and mine are both close to real-world. I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)
I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/22/2010 11:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had a friend who lived in the woods for a while. On a cold night he would light a few candles.
Even Tea

I think, perhaps, one too many conversions in the calculations somewhere. Ed's figure looks about right. In the neighborhood of 1000 BTUs/Hr for a standard oil lamp. Perhaps a bit less.
It may not be worth cleaning up the smoke and smudge.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

I had a friend who lived in the woods for a while. On a cold night he would light a few candles.
CY: Well, candles do have flame, and do put out "a little" heat. Another writer says maybe 50 BTU per hour.

I think, perhaps, one too many conversions in the calculations somewhere. Ed's figure looks about right. In the neighborhood of 1000 BTUs/Hr for a standard oil lamp. Perhaps a bit less.
CY: I ran some numbers, and 1,000 BTU per ounce is more or less correct.
It may not be worth cleaning up the smoke and smudge.
CY: Yes, candles do put out a lot of soot. I would only use candles for emergency heat. And then as a last resort.
Add pictures here
✖
A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death. Even Tea Lights, but they don't last as long.
CY: The time in 2003 when the power was out, four days. My 11,000 BTU per hour kerosene heater did some good, but it was still painfully cold.
Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations and mine are both close to real-world.
CY: Yes, that sounds in the ball park. Close enough.
I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)
CY: About an ounce an hour was what I got with a lamp I tried. I can't remember the wick width.
I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????
CY: Still, it gives me a rough idea. I figured it was some heat, but not a lot. At an ounce an hour, it can't be all that much. Compared to the kerosene heater which uses a galon in 12 hours, or about 10 ounces an hour. Actually, if I figure 11 ounces an hour puts out 11,000 BTU an hour. That gives me some numbers to work with. Thanks for helping me figure out a reasonable answer.
Add pictures here
✖
replying to clare, bad brain wrote:

I didn't write this. This forum is messed up. I don't have an Aladdin lamp.
This is supposed to be a response to what was said by bad brain.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

They will give you enough heat to warm your hands if the air isn't real cold.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use a couple to light my entertainment room in the evening. They do noticeably so keep the furnace from coming on as often. There are what i would call standard size wick lamps that I use K1 in. Back when K1 wasn't 3 bucks a gallon I heated my house in the evening with a 100K BTU heater. It could be 10F outside and the furnace set at 68F would not come on. These days it's pretty expensive to supplement the main heat source with a portable K1 heater. More so than natural gas at $6.47 per MCF. And i was pretty serious about it too buying K1 from a local petro dealer by the 55 gallon drum. Can't afford it these days.
Add pictures here
✖
I suspect before the end of the Oh Bomb Us administration. We'll all be wearing sweatters indoors like Jimmuh Kottah. We'll be driving clown cars, and wishing we could afford to both heat and eat.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The human body emits about 400 BTU/hr.
So, if you could get a couple of hotties to snuggle up to you in "sandwich mode", perhaps with an insulating wrap around the three of you, you'd not need to worry about the output of oil lamps would you? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Planning on moving up to Northern Arizona, are you?
✖
Naah, just staying where I am. I don't have the money to buy my own fundamentalist compound.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus