OT: Headphone jack gets only mono

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:21:00 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Don't be too hard on the young lad.
I too read that sentence, but since you didn't go into detail, I pretty much ignored it. So some of what I've written may be superfluous.
let me get this straight, however. When you use the same headphones and the same size adapter insomething else with a 1/4" jack, they work?
And when you use a different set of headphones with a 1/4" plug in stereo, they don't work?
If not those tests, what were the tests most similar to those that you did?

Oh, yeah. I found out about that later. A reasonable conclusion.

yer noggin skwawkerz iz bustikated tho eum in tha dumpsty an git a reel tee vee
On Friday, June 13, 2014 3:54:28 PM UTC-7, None wrote:

Problem is not the TV. Problem is the stereo through which I get sound. Jack for headphones (which I have to use because of hearing) has deteriorated; only gets one channel. Looking for advice how to (a) fix jack or (b) use stereo sound some other way.
Got 2 pieces of advice how to "clean" the jack, in case that's the problem. One is delicate sandpaper -- but has downside. The other is liquid -- WD 40 and other suggestions.
Going to try liquid and see if that helps.
I'm not technie enough to implement some of the good suggestions by myself; need to find somebody competent & willing to help.
Thanks!
HB
Robert Green posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

If it says Radio Scrap on it yup.
--
Tekkie

Bobby G. thanks for your civilized reply to previous poster. The Internet seems to bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.
[...thread snipped....]
Might be time to wind up the thread with thanks to all for suggestions. Some are beyond my capabilities. One of yours might be my best shot. You wrote:
"I might be equally tempted to buy a $25 headphone amplifier box with RCA inputs and 1/4" stereo headphone outputs."
VERY IMPORTANT: Before proceeding, I need to know: Where is the headphone amplifier getting its sound, if the stereo jack cannot be used? Not from the POS TV speakers, one hopes!
I read several articles on-line on "how do headphone amplifiers work" but did not find the above basic info. Any info/referencs appreciated.
HB

... and you're clearly one of those "others."

Don't bother. Any reasonable correct answer will be too big to fit inside your tiny microcephalic head.

Probably from the TV. Duuuuuuuuuhhhhh.
Not from the POS TV speakers, one hopes!

... and you didn't understand a word.

Just give up. You're just not smart enough to comprehend.

I though you said it was time to wind up the thread. And then, there you go with more vapid ignorance.
If your TV sounds like shit, get a better TV. Of course, even that simple solution might be beyond the comprehension of an ignoramus like you.

I've bought cheap integrated amps, like old radio shack units, which have a headphone jack. Most amplifier units tap off the main speaker outs with resistors to attenuate the level suitable for headphones. No power is taken with input jacks, its just converted from a voltage source, to something hat can supply required current. Want to check eBay ?
Some amplifier units have a separate headphone amplifier, but not as common.
I got one one of the simplest headphone DIY circuits on the Internet. I designed it as a , well why not ? There are many who took it steps further for improvement, but that defeated my desire for simplicity. My project started about 1985, now hundreds of users built it.
Greg
On Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:37:06 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]
OK, Bobby G. re: headphones, I did a search using nearly your exact words:

and got the following: http://tinyurl.com/q6fxfjy
Do any of the 4 listed pix fit your suggested specs?
TX for your help & patience.
HB
On Friday, June 20, 2014 5:17:35 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

Checked the TinyURL Web site via my usual search engine, but did not get it. Got it via Google Chrome. Sorry for inconvenience
HB

(-:

wrote:

Not from the POS TV speakers, one hopes!
The headphone amp will take its audio input from the same place the Harmon gets its input from now, the TV. Your TV is *capable* of putting out very high quality audio. The TV decodes the audio from the broadcast or cable TV signal. Then it is routed both to the crappy speakers found in many slim TVs AND to a set of jacks on the back called "AUDIO OUT" or "LINE OUT". These jacks are what your friend (I assume) connected to your HK's "AUDIO IN" jacks using RCA patch cords (usually red and white cables that look like this):
http://www.electronix.com/images/45-473.jpg
To use a headphone amp, you would disconnect the cables that go to the "AUDIO IN" connectors on the HK and reconnect them to the "AUDIO IN" jacks of the headphone amps. You are essentially removing the HK from the loop and sending the high quality audio signal to the headphone box now.
(NB: this will make the HK unable to play audio from the TV as it will be rerouted to the headphone box.)
If you need to have the HK still play the sound from the TV through the speakers connected to the HK, you'll have to purchase some $5 "splitter cables" that will allow the high quality audio signal from the TV to feed both the HK "AUDIO IN" jacks and the headphone box's "AUDIO IN" jacks. Very easy. Those splitters look like this:
http://www.electronix.com/images/45-442.jpg

I've been looking for something with diagrams to better describe what to do without luck. I'll keep trying. It would be pretty simple to demonstrate with some freehand sketches, but alas, Usenet was never very image friendly.
TV tuner audio ---------> HK ----------> Headphone jack --------->Headphones TV tuner audio ---------> Built-in crappy speakers (not because of bad signal, just bad speakers)
With a headphone amp the first line of the above paragraph will read:
TV tuner audio ---------> Headphone amp ----------> Headphone jack --------->Headphones
The second line stays the same.
If you want to still route the audio through the HK's much better speakers you would split the audo output from the TV to look like this:
TV tuner audio ---> splitter ---> HK ----------> speakers > Headphone amp -----> Headphone jack -------> Headphones
Again, line two stays the same and the TV can still play through its own speakers. It may be very possible, if your TV supports it, to buy some slightly better bookshelf speakers and power them directly from the TV. That's what I've done and it sounds magnitudes better than the built in ones. What was the TV make and model again? (-:
Show this to the person who hooked up the HK to the TV and they will know instantly what I am describing.
--
Bobby G.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 17:53:11 -0400, "Robert Green"

This one has 3 male ends. There are, of course, similar things with one male end and 2 female ends, probably more useful here.

There are no bad speakers. Only speakers who do bad things. Check with most psychologists, especially electronics psychologists.

Harmon Kardon's "Audio IN" will likely be female. TV's "Audio OUT" will likely be female. Headphone amplifier inputs will likely be female. Three male ends on the splitter cable will perfectly mate with three female inputs on each of the units we're trying to join. Considering that virtually no one's posted any illustrations of the technical details of what they're discussing I don't think illustrating what a generic splitter (that can have several configurations) looks like is worth of a nit-pick, but that's your choice.
Now if the splitter cables aren't long enough that might complicate things, but that would be exactly what we're NOT trying to do here, make things more complicated than they already are. We're not even sure at this point if HB needs to use the HK's speakers, but it's probably a good idea to make sure she can if she wants to.
Unless the TV has two sets of line level audio outputs, then a splitter's going to be required. I suspect the gender of splitter cables isn't going to be a serious problem for the person that connected HB's TV to her stereo in the first place and will likely be connecting the auxiliary headphone amp for her, should she choose that route.
--
Bobby G.

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 19:54:47 -0400, "Robert Green"

Yeah, but unless they are all within 3 inches of each other, you'll need two 3 or 6 foot cables to reach your destinations. And those cables are much more common with two male ends.

I didn't mean to suggest you should have found a picture of the one I was talking about. If you read my two lines again, I'm not criticizing your picture, only saying one with 2 female ends will probably be more useful.
But I can imagine the OP diligently looking for MMM connector, because that's what the picture shows, and then having to hunt some more for cables that are M-F, instead of F-F like most.

Should I drop this or should I say, It's not good to make them simpler than they are, either. There is no "if". The splitter cable, or Y-connector, in your picture is too short to reach anything but another cable.

Sorry, I missed this - thought you closed the thread.

Didn't work for me. Doesn't matter because whatever you choose is first dependent on how the TV connects to the Harmon Kardon. You have to either photograph, videograph or describe the nature of the connection between the two devices. That's the only way to be sure a headphone amplifier will actually work. It's still just a "best guess/cheapest" option.
That doesn't mean we won't eventually need the URLs of headphone amps, just that it's premature if your friend used some other means, like a vampire speaker tap, to transfer audio out of the TV.
One at a time for the URLs, please. (-:
Sample of connection description: "The TV has two cables going to the Harmon Kardon, one ending in red and one ending in white going into jacks labeled [Audio OUT]." Or "The cables from the TV are small wires plugged into the speaker output ports" or something like that so we can actually be sure how your friend connected the TV to the stereo.
Without that interconnection diagram, photo, video or description, we're still guessing exactly how your friend did it and what we need to do to work around the (allegedly but most likely) bad jack.
--
Bobby G.

wrote in message

WTF?