OT Hats and bad manners. What's up

Okay, I understand that some of our youth are not the best mannered. But what about all the old farts like me (71 yrs.). Were we not trained to take off our hats when indoors. Jeesh, I even see them in restaurants.

I can understand hiding baldness, skin cancer etc. But, the sun doesn't shine inside an eating establishment and most buildings.

Walk into any restaurant and you can see at least a dozen guys with baseball caps. Unbelievable!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

We come from a different generation where manners mattered. I'm just a couple of years younger than you but I was taught to remove my hat when you go indoors. I still do. Yes, I have a bald head and I'm not trying to hide it.

The trend of wearing the cap backwards seems to be on the wane though. That was the most idiotic thing I've seen.

Oh, just as dumb looking are the knit pull over hats a lot of guys are wearing. OK, they give good protection from the cold, but they look really stupid while eating in a restaurant.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Per Ed Pawlowski:

It does have function sometimes - although I'd say that 99.9% of the people doing it do not need that function.

Going into a wind, the cap is much less likely to blow off if the bill is backwards.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

...and your neck won't get sunburn! "Rednecks" need not apply! {8¬)>

Reply to
Bob_Villa

What about white gloves for church? White shoes after Labor Day?

Reply to
Norminn

What about wearing a jacket and tie, or a dress, to funerals? My friend, who has somehow already been to several funerals for high school classmates, says Blacks are the only ones who do that now.

Reply to
bubba

Having been to a couple LDS / Mormon funerals, I did see some white crackers in suits.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The baseball hat is known as the intelligence reducer in the UK. As it is rotated towards the rear, the brain has the intelligence reduced. @180 deg, intelligence= zero. Secret weapon designed by the CIA.

Reply to
harryagain

Is is true Americans think McDonalds is a restaurant?

Reply to
harryagain

Hi, Ditto. Guys walking into church wearing head gears, sun glasses at dining table, etc. I don't care what they do in their home but when out....

Reply to
Tony Hwang

When it is zero degrees out, it is amazing how a hat can help you feel warm.. Even indoors.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Who gives a Red Rat's Ass as to who wears what? Geez, if I want to wear a cap or hat while in an eating establishment, I'll do it. Like it or lump it...it's my business. ===

Reply to
Roy

Broad-brim hats (with sun glasses?) are rather goofy looking indoors. My greatest peeves are tight shorts with suggestive sayings on them on LITTLE GIRLS. After that, low rider jeans with fat gut hanging out.

As far as baseball hats go, there is really no handy place to park them in a restaurant, although leaving it in a car would work. Don't bother me at all, and three grandsons and one son go through a range of styles. Good grooming makes the greatest difference, IMO.

Last week, went out for Chinese buffet, local restaurant. Technically challenged old woman turned on her speaker phone, loud, to listen to her messages. Forgiven, almost, due to advanced age.

Reply to
Norminn

I agree with Roy. If a person wearing a hat indoors offends your sensibilities, then you have one messed-up set of sensibilities. Get a life and let others have theirs.

Reply to
Nicholas Kriho

Maybe a little clarification is needed. Wearing at hat while in Home Depot, McDonalds, or the line at the Post Office is not a big deal and I'd not even notice. If I'm at a really nice restaurant, it would show you are uncouth and lacking good manners.

I won't challenge your constitutional right to do so, but I may also be forming a rather poor opinion of you. Don't show up in my office the next day applying for a manager position because I'll pass right over you. Apply for a job at the car wash, you may be considered.

Like it or not, that is the way our society works. You won't see bankers, judges, doctors, wearing baseball caps while at work. We form opinions and draw conclusions from first appearances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are places in the food bar arena, that specify no hats.

Greg

Reply to
gregz