OT Has anyone had any luck boosting cell phone signal in the house?

Can you get some kind of antenna transmitter booster that will help getting signal in the house. Calls can be made from the yard and in the house, but not reliably.

yeah they are available and work well. verizon reportedly sells them .........
they are definetely sold on e bay..... search cell phone booster..
great for people who live in metal sided homes

Not cheap though.

not cheap but neither is paying endlessely for a non needed house phone
On 10/18/2011 11:22 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:22:28 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

Yeah, our place is like that, too - all the interior door frames are trimmed with metal quarter-round, and I think it's that which really messes up the signal.
We just get people we know in the habit of calling the house phone though, only falling back on the cell if nobody picks up :-)
cheers
Jules
"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Can you get some kind of antenna transmitter booster that will help getting signal in the house. Calls can be made from the yard and in the house, but not reliably.
Do a Google search for cell repeaters.

I installed a Wilson cell amplifier in my house. Basically an antenna is mounted on your roof that is pointed to the nearest cell tower. A cable is needed that runs from the outside antenna to inside the house, where a amplifier and transmitter is installed. I installed mine about 5-7 years ago and the cost was about $600 for materials, I went from barely having 1 bar on my cell phone to having 4-5 bars. The hardest part is aligning the outside antenna. It has to be pointed with pinpoint accuracy (within 3 degrees). When I installed mine, I had my cordless phone with me up on the roof and my wife had her cell phone telling me the bar strength on my blackberry down in the basement office. Once we received a strong bar signal on the blackberry, I tightened down the antenna and it's been working fine since then.
Robin

Forgot to put the link of the company that I used. http://www.wilsonelectronics.com /
Robin

ATT had a free booster last summer. I believe the offer is expired, but it wouldn't hurt asking.
--
Best regards
Han