OT Has anyone had a blow-out at 65 MPH

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:42:45 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

I got into one on a dark night in Texas. Grew up and learned to drive living on a farm in Northern Idaho. Did a lot of "fun" things on the snow covered gravel roads so a drift was familiar.
I was dicing with another car over a fairly familiar paved highway in my almost new Volvo PV544, went into a sharp right hand corner to discover there was gravel across it. Drifted it but the seat cover had a permanent wrinkle from the "pucker factor".
Harry K
Per micky:

Probably going 50 mph in a heavily-loaded (2-weeks vacation worth of stuff and 3 occupants) Suburban.
Left rear wheel.
Similar experience to yours. Heavy crosswinds, so I thought it was just the wind until another driver called my attention to it.
But it was a dead-straight highway.
I'm thinking maybe on a curve.... or if it were a front wheel...
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Bob F:

There was a rip in the sidewall that went from the rim to about an inch from the tread.
--
Pete Cresswell

Sure.

No, it depends on which tire, the car, and the suspension.

My experiences have been like yours. It really comes down to which tire blows. If a FWD car with a very heavy front end blows a rear tire, you may never know you're driving a tricycle. ;-) If it's a front, you probably found out too late. A RWD and a rear tire is less of an issue because the steering isn't compromised. The bottom line, it depends.

Most recent was a 2005 Crown Vic with the OEM Pirelli tires on it. At about 27,000 miles one of the tires on the front blew out the sidewall. Could hardly tell other then I could "feel something" so stopped to see what it was. Then at 28,000 miles one of the Pirellis on the back had it's sidewall blow out. Same thing, I started to "feel something" and stopped to see what it was. Decided not to wait for the other two Pirellis to blow out and replaced them all with some other well known brand like Goodyear. The Pirellis always road glass smooth but the new tires definitely were not as smooth riding, always felt a little out of balance. Don't know if it was the tires or just that they weren't balanced quite right - it was a company car with work done at the company garage.
In the past when I've had blowouts I've never had anything exciting happen, just start to feel "something" and stop to see what. Not saying a blowout couldn't case someone a problem but in my experience it never has. There was also a test done with a Ford explorer due to all the claims of tire and rollover problems with it and they blew out it's tires with the driver's hands completely off the wheel and nothing exciting happened, the SUV just started drifting off course slowly with the one flat tire. I believe they did it on both a front tire and rear and could never get it to do anything exciting. I'm of the general opinion that almost all "crashes from a tire blowing out" are due to the driver not being very good at handling the slightest unexpected event and over reacting and causing the accident.
On 10/03/2013 02:13 AM, micky wrote:

In the late '60's, I had a ball joint break at about that speed.
As a result, a front tire went under the car (still attached,
sort-of) and I was all over 8-mile in Detroit (a nice wide
road at that point). Luckily, it was about 3:00 a.m., so there
was no traffic, and I managed to bring the car to a halt without
hitting anything. There wasn't much left of the tire.

10 or 15 years ago, I was on the 405 in Los Angeles... traffic was heavy, but still going fast. About 70.
I was in the #2 lane (second from the left) when a car just ahead in one of the far right lanes busted a LF ball joint. In the blink of an eye he came flying across the freeway creating this enormous 'ball' of sliding wreckage, that quickly morphed into sort of a big 'comma' shape, with me right in the middle. The hole was drifting around as it slowed down, and I was steering & breaking to stay within... we were all moving basically the same speed, and I remember everyone looking around at each other as we ground to a halt. Also remember looking in the mirror prepared to be mowed down from behind, but luckily it didn't happen. Lots of tire smoke and misc debris. The car with the busted ball joint spent a few seconds in front of me... and I just knew that must have been the cause. Remember being briefly worried about the flailing tucked under wheel breaking loose and coming through my windshield.
I was extremely lucky... had zero contact other cars or debris.
Erik
On 10/4/2013 12:10 AM, Erik wrote:

Some years ago, I was driving through what is known as "Malfunction Junction" in downtown Birmingham when a movement in my peripheral vision caught my attention. It was a large Ingersoll Rand towed air compressor passing me while it flipped end over end at a speed of 60mph. Super pucker factor! The next day, a state highway department crew was out patching the divot holes the trailer hitch had dug into the concrete at regular intervals. ^_^
TDD

One of the problems with this "survey" that I started is that no one is here to tell us the story who died during the blow-out etc.

I've had a few blow outs in the distant past. Only one was "scary." Not sure how fast. Maybe 60-65. Rear wheel in a RWD car. It was a bitch to control it after the blowout. Compared to other blow outs anyway. Also had a ball joint fail at 35mph on a city street. That pulled the car to the curb at an empty bus stop, as I jammed the brakes. No steering control at all that I noticed. Pure luck it happened where it did. After that I always get my suspension checked by a front end pro every couple years.
On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 21:25:33 -0500, Vic Smith

A good idea.
You remind me that on a rear wheel drive car, the part on the right that holds the steeering in place, that's opposite the steering box, I forget the name. Idler something? It's about a foot long, bolts to the frame and then to the suspension.
Mine ripped out of the frame. I was only going 5 or 10 on a very quiet street in NYC, and the car stopped moving. Got out and the left tire pointed left while the right tire pointed right.
It was a quarter to 6. Stores on Canal St. 3 blocks away closed at 6. Ran down there and found a store selling bolts, nuts, and washers, before 6PM. Went back to the car and bolted the thing back to the fame and I was okay until the end of the car's life for other reasons.
I probably had to jack the car up to move the right wheel into place. But mostly did the repair in the middle of the one-way street with one lane for people to go around me. Took an hour start to finish and no cop came by.
I don't know why the heads of the bolts came through the frame. I've never heard of that elsewhere.

my cars BRAND NEW tire blew out right after installation on the pa turnpike i was going at least 60....
fortunately no close by cars, my car swerved bad, but i managed to get it to the berm. it was very scary...