OT Has anyone had a blow-out at 65 MPH

Page 1 of 2
OT Has anyone had a blow-out at 65 MPH?
I've had one, in about 1972. I'd driven from NYC to Columbus Ohio to visit a friend, and she had a class in Cincinatti that evening. I drove, but coming back I was too tired and she drove.
She owned a tiny car, and when we got back and she was parking like she usually did, she just drove head-in to her parallel parking space and whacked the front right tire sidewall when she hit the curb.
The next day I left around noon and a half hour later on the interstate, while I was passing a semi, I heard a tire blow (loudly, I guess because the noise reflected off the truck).
But had it not been for the noise, I wouldn't have known there was a problem. The car didn't shake or quiver, from start to when it was parked, and I slowed down and pulled to the shoulder, and changed the tire.
Yet today a big bus, one with no hood I think, had a blowout and went all the way across the 10 or 20 foot median, with grass and a dip in the middle, to hit a car and truck.
My tire was tubeless. If he had a tube, would that make it harder to control?
Was my situation a lucky fluke?
Has anyone here ever had a blowout at high speed? How did the car handle?

Never had a blowout, but one dark night did have a rear axle fail and let the RR drum/wheel/tire separate from an old Corvair. We were in CA going about 70 mph N bound on Pacific Coast highway a little N of Paradise Cove. c. 1973 or there about.
The rear end dropped down a little, and I was at once 'dazzled' by a remarkably bright shower of orange sparks in the mirrors.
Other than that, it remained very stable... I had a suspicion something like that had happened, got off the gas and let it coast down. When it was down to maybe 15 mph or so i gently eased it off to the right shoulder. There was a .5" X .5" scar in the pavement going way back... we looked a little but never found the drum/tire/wheel.
A cop finally came by and gave us a lift.
The car belonged to a friend (who was with me) and was a junker long before that trip. They towed it but I think he said he just let them sell it off at auction. I was driving only because I'd never driven a Corvair... and asked if I could.
There are a countless stability variables come blowout/flat time... no two are the same...
Erik

I was driving a datsun b210 going 65 . Up to the right, tire and axle separated from trailer. 4 lanes, the things direction was uncertain. I kept to the left, kept up speed. I was scared, but finally passed it.
Greg

Lost the left rear wheel and drum on an MGB at about 60. Not a lot of drama

Was this the early Corvair or later one? Corvair is what made Raph Nader (ugh) famous, from his book Unsafe at Any Speed, because either the front or rear or both axles were held on differently (to minimize the number of parts iirc) and so when something broke, the whole wheel suspension colllapsed. Actually I thought it was the front, but i'm not sure.
They have fixed this and gone back to a standard design, but his book put Corvair out of business anyhow.

On 10/5/2013 4:10 PM, micky wrote:

I had a '62 Corvair Monza. A few minor modifications like a quick shifter and oversized tires made it a fun car to drive and good handling too.

Being slow to learn, I had a 61, 63, 64, and 65. One after the other as the previous ones died.
Only the 60 had any handling issues and Nader blew the problem way out of proportion.
By 65 the Corvair had 4 wheel independent suspension at least as good as the Corvette. I loved driving those cars but couldn't keep oil fumes from the heat system out of the passenger compartment.
--
Dan Espen

On 10/5/2013 10:51 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I remember putting special spreading clips on the valve cover bolts to help spread the force more evenly. It helped. In the summer, I'd put foil over the heat vents near the floorboards.
Had a couple of motormounts break and the engine dropped down.

Nope. Nader tried real hard to kill the corvair in about '63. In 1965 the rear suspension was changed from a swing arm to a 4 joint independent suspension - like the one on a corvette, but simplified. Chevy kept producing the corvair until 1969. The "problem" with the corvair is it had the same suspension as the VW beetle and Porsche of the same era. - if you cornered too hard it could "hike up" on the end of the axle. My aunt parked her '62 on 2 or 3 different fire hydrants in the years she had and DROVE that thing.
Nothing had a habit of breaking - and the suspensions never collapsed

Not sure what year it was... like I said it wasn't my car, and that was both the first and last I saw it... but I think it was one of the later versions.
It was the rear axle itself that broke just outboard of the bearing... might have had past accident damage for all I know.
The drum made a mess out of the shoes and backing plate as it passed up and through them. It was dark, and all we had for light was a Bic lighter, so really didn't get a good look.
I think it was the early Corvairs that had a rear wheel 'swing axle' issues...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair
Erik
On 10/03/2013 03:13 AM, micky wrote:

A coworker flipped his SUV after the front tire blew at 75mph. He spent several weeks in the hospital.
He may have been talking or texting on a cell phone so that may have played a part in the severity of the accident.
(There's a whole lot of lying that goes on after a traffic accident.)
On 10/3/2013 3:13 AM, micky wrote:

I picked up a nail, left rear of my Chevrolet work van. I was on a freeway, doing about 55. By the time I pulled over, the sidewalls on both sides had sheared, really strange. There was some rubber on the rim, and it was clear that the tread was no longer connected to the rim.
Not sure what I felt or heard, to tell me that the tire was out. Can't remember.
I'd not got a spare, but I had a dummy tire that I got from Freecycle. I called AAA, to get a vehicle with lights behind me, the traffic was a bit too fast, and a bit too close. The dummy tire didn't fit the rear drum, so the called a different vehicle and flatbedded me home.
The next day I spent a lot of time jacking, removing, and take the wheel to Walmart, for warranty replace. Cost me about ten hours of time with AAA and Walmart, and $2.50 disposal fee for the old tire. I'm very fortunate that I did get the road hazzard warranty.

I hit a 2x4 steel angle laying on the interstate one night and cracked the rim of a mag wheel doing 75 or so although I may have slowed a little before the actual impact. The Right front tire was gone. It was exciting but I didn't lose control of my van. (E150)
I still have the angle. Is makes a decent redneck metal break.
I think most people end up rolling cars because they over react to the blowout and do something that is too aggressive with the brakes or steering. Admittedly I saw it coming and knew I would have to be driving the car for a few seconds instead of just pointing it down the road.
Per Bob F:

No go-kart experience, but when I was a kid I use to make a point out of finding an empty supermarket parking lot and throwing the car into skids - especially with snow on the ground.
I think I eventually got skid control pretty well burned into my lower brain stem - and wonder why something like that isn't SOP with any driver training program.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 08:40:19 -0700, RobertMacy

Yes, I tried to teach a girlfriend to drive one weekend, and I realized we should have done that first. At one point as we approached a 90^ turn, right in the two lane road, I was telling her, then yelling at her to slow down. Fortunately, in preparation, I had built in a speed limiter and dual-brakes to my car, so I was able to stop the car. She said she didn't realize there was more than one speed to the car. She thought there was just full go and stop. Drivign a go-cart would have taught her about that and other things.
**It's not so stupid that she thought there was just full-go. She probably did have the accelerator floored, but like I say, I had a piece of wood on the intake manifold that kept the throttle from going over 30 mph. I also had an L-shaped piece of metal conduit that hooked under the kick panel to her left, went over the brake pedal arm, and to my side of the car, so I could step on that and stop the car, or at least slow it down if she was still on the accelerator.
I guess in those days I could have leaned over and turned off the engine, but I couldn't believe she wasn't going to slow down, and there was nothing but grass had we skid off the road. Trees were still quite a while away.

Actually skid? Can one do that in a go-cart?

She never got that far. In fact this was our last lesson because she refused to go to the trouble to get a learner's permit, and I saw the risk I was taking was even greater than I imagined (I'd never come close to hitting anything or going out of my lane when I was taught to drive.) She said she lived in NYC and didn't have to learn how to drive. which has a lot of truth to it, but she wouldn't get invited on a long trip if she couldn't help drive.
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:02:40 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I didnt' know anyone really did that. Scarey!

On 10/5/2013 9:05 PM, micky wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/3/2013 2:13 AM, micky wrote:

Quite a few people have, I'm sure... :)

I've had at least a couple I recall -- neither was terribly difficult to control because in both cases the tire basically held together. The biggest problem that used to be far more prevalent than now with old bias-ply tires was that the tire would completely disintegrate and drop a metal rim onto the pavement. If it were the front end, that could make steering a vehicle w/o PS (of which there are almost none today, either) quite a handful. Add a little panic and mayhem often ensued.
No current large semis or buses use anything but tubeless any more so I'd be _very_ surprised it it were anything but on the vehicle in TN. I've not heard but I'd presume it must have been a front and it's possible he was already in a bind when it happened by being in the process of changing lanes or something else...being a church activity bus I'd presume that the odds are pretty good the driver probably didn't have a tremendous amount of experience behind the wheel but was a volunteer or associate pastor or somesuch individual who just happened to hold a CDL only for the specific purpose and not a professional driver.
That's a _very_ dangerous section of interstate -- it's terribly congested and folks drive well in excess of posted limits and there's the I-81 split that gets unwary in a bind when the discover they're about to miss the lane they need to be in heading east and a merge if heading south/west...possibly somebody cut the bus off or it needed a lane change in a hurry or something else had a major impact on the resultant severity as well.
On Thursday, October 3, 2013 12:13:45 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:

[...]

Had one many years ago. Was in the FAST lane on a freeway. Terrified! People were cooperative, allowing me to move over till I could exit at an off-ramp.
Never HEARD of "drift" though I broke in on a VW.
Looked it up at
http://www.wikihow.com/Drift-a-Car
OMG. I do not have the motor skills to master it. Just hope that SHE will protect me <g> if it ever happens again.
HB