OT Harassing calls

Page 1 of 3
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"
Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.
Anyone think this would work? http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collection-law-attorney-5.php?gclid=CJ774627ybECFQP0nAodPyYAcQ
news:17el189bh0ost43s6nfrrtnb21l9joagvf@ 4ax.com:

There's not really much you can do about it -- the calls are coming from overseas via VOIP, with spoofed caller ID. These clowns are almost certainly outside the reach of U.S. law.
On 8/2/2012 12:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collection-law-attorney-5.php?gclid=CJ774627ybECFQP0nAodPyYAcQ
These people are running a phishing scam where they convince you they can get you a lower interest rate on your credit card, and then ask you for your financial information to set it up. Since they're crooks, no, you really can't expect to get their cooperation, and you can't expect them to pay any attention to your complaints. Sadly, they find some victims among the financially desperate, the gullible, and the elderly, who tend to be much more trusting than younger generations.
According to a friend of mine whose husband has been investigating them, part of the problem is that as their boiler room employees learn how to run the scam, they go off and start up the same business themselves. That's one of the reasons for all the different phone numbers. Plus the fact that they're boiler room operations, meaning they shut down and start up again using different numbers whenever the law starts to catch up with them.
She said something else they'll do, if you keep asking them for information about themselves, is to give you the names and phone numbers of legitimate credit card companies and banks. Gullible people are taken in by that; suspicious people will hang up and call those companies/phone numbers, only to find out they have nothing to do with the scam.
Since there's no such thing as content-based killfiles to catch phone spam, the best you can do is hang up as soon as you hear 'Cardholder Services'.

There is software that will use a modem to monitor your phone line You can enter numbers that are allowed to pass through and numbers that are blocked The modem will intercept and block those numbers on the black list
On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 14:04:24 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

drawer full of them. If I could find software that would block what was on the caller ID I would use it. Not always, but even from new numbers the caller ID says Card Holder's Services.

One that I recall was CallAlert Did a fast Google and found this <http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/Phone_Calls_Filter.html But I know that there was freeware out there as well.
PhoneTray Free can filter phone calls based on a blacklist of callerid phone numbers using a "voice modem". You can set it up to use different WAV files of your choice for each caller. You can also block all phone calls for "quiet time".
On 8/2/2012 3:04 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

they are using bogus numbers so you don't know what the next number they will sending when they call will be.

I have had my call display show my own phone number, indicating that I am calling myself with my own phone. Sometimes the number displayed is 123-456-7890, or many other numbers that they dream up.

I had a call last night. Rather than hang up, I pressed 1 to talk to a friendly customer service person. I had her believing I had about $60,000 in debt and my interest rates varied from 22% to 32%. She assured me she could get single digit rates.
When I told her I could not verify the card numbers, she hung up on me.
Yow, that's not polite of her.
I had a call last night. Rather than hang up, I pressed 1 to talk to a friendly customer service person. I had her believing I had about $60,000 in debt and my interest rates varied from 22% to 32%. She assured me she could get single digit rates.
When I told her I could not verify the card numbers, she hung up on me.

I actually had one going so much that she called me back and called me an ass on my voice mail. This particular rocket scientist was from an area business and they were actually using their real phone number. So, I was able to get the little darlin' fired BEFORE I sent the AG to their door. Probably the most personally fulfilling time I had had with a marketer.
The spammers are now calling my cell phone. There was no instruction on the phone how to block calls. I finally found that if I put the callers into a group I don't use (school), then I block the entire school group. My phone never rings from them. They rarely leave a VM. Of course I have to wait for the spammers to first call so I can get their phone numbers. They are in the contact list as Z unk1, Z unk 2....and so forth. So far I have 11 of them. FF

The problem with blacklisting is that you have to do it for each number. SWMBO as problems with SMS spam. She can log onto our Verizon account and block the number (only lasts three months, or something) but there is no way to opt out of all SMS service. We don't like paying the $.10 per spam but there is no way to block it.
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:47:55 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I haven't been following the thread so please excuse if I repeat something.
On my Verizon cell account I'm allowed 5 blocked numbers. But the junk calls I get are always from different numbers so this is no help for me.

Look around the Verizon site. I have 1500/mo SMS service so my options may be different than yours but there are a whole slew of SMS option check boxes. I can opt out of premium texts, video, photos, and all texts (though I'm not sure why I would want to do that). Two that seemed to really cut down on my spam were opting out of texts originating from email and the internet. I also turned off all internet access on my wife's feature phone. Verizon's got a convoluted site so dig around an you may find what you need.

Exactly.
But it costs something like $10/mo times two phones. Why should I pay anything for spam SMS messages? $20 is also way more than I'm getting junk SMSMs.
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 10:28:33 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

As I said your plan may be different. All those SMS blocks I mentioned above are free on my account web page. I have one feature phone and one smart phone. SMS only on the feature phone (since I can get free Google SMS on the smart phone). My web account shows the same turn offs for both phones. But of course YMMV.

I don't have SMS service so each SMSM costs me something like $.10. They do provide a blacklist service but that's useless and they expire in 60 days (dumb).
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 18:43:02 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I didn't subscribe to data service (internet) on my feature phone but like your SMS problem every time it was accidentally used there was a data charge. But I found that the Verizon site (my account - YMMV) allowed me to completely turn off the data to that phone. Now no more data charges.
Likewise there is a place (my account - YMMV) with several SMS options, one of which is to completely turn off SMS service.
If I were you and couldn't find these options on your account I would call them direct and get it done. I would be amazed if it can't be done. But... if it can't, my next stop would be another carrier. I certainly wouldn't put up with BS like that.
I understand that Page Plus (prepaid) uses the Verizon network and at much better rates. Also you might stop by alt.celular.verizon. There's several smart people (I'm not one) there who could probably advise on more possible solutions.
Good luck.

I have data but no SMS.

Nope. Verizon was no help, either. Told SWMBO to just blacklist the sender (no help at all).

BTDT. No help.

I was about to switch to Page Plus but then decided to get a data plan. That changed the calculus completely.