OT. Hacked

A couple articles about/by someone who had an online security lapse. From chron.com:

From Wired by the actual victim:
The second one is pretty long but might interest some here.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Is he bragging or complaining!?

Twitter? Facebook? iClod? Gmail?

Holy crap! ....why not jes throw out the welcome mat and offer free eats/drinks all around.

"My experience leads me to believe that cloud-based systems need fundamentally different security measures."

No shit!? This guy's a real freakin' Einstein. I bet he has all his ipod and stupidphones and wallet files and social dufus accts all interlinked, too, cuz he's jes so cool and hip and a geeky guru who writes a blog allegedly relevent to cool/hip clod users. Puh-leeze. The dolt gets totally owned and then writes a blog entry about what a dumb-ass he is? That's balls! Not much in the brains dept, but dumptruck sized balls. Whatta maroon!

You gonna put yer whole life out there on the clod and pretend it's as safe as yer mommy's womb, that nothing will happen to it? You people are dumber'n a bag o' hammers.

Wise up! Get linux, harden the crap outta it, and stay the Hell away from the clod.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Pretty specious observations, since whatever runs your desktop has no effect on Amazon, Gmail, Twitter, and other stuff in the cloud. Then you got to the last.

Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company. After ten years or so of promotion, Linux today commands less than 2% of the desktop market, even though it's free. Ten billion people can't be all wrong.

Reply to
HeyBub

Rule of thumb: treat anything you put in the cloud as publicly available...because sooner or later, it probably will be.

Reply to
HellT

There are only 7 billion people on the planet. Are the other 3 billion your personalities?

But yeah, most of the people on the planet *are* wrong, almost all the time.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Thank you for the correction. I guess I meant to say "Ten billion computers".

As for most of the people on the planet being wrong almost all the time, I disagree. If you tabulated what most of the people on the planet are thinking, a huge percentage would fall into the following predictable categories:

  • I'm hungry
  • I'm sleepy
  • I'm tired
  • I'm horney
  • I need a 3d nail (not necessarily in that order)

And they would NOT be wrong, while profound intellectual concepts are few and far between.

Reply to
HeyBub