OT: Guns in America

Page 6 of 16
On 03/10/2016 11:51 AM, Bod wrote:

BTDT. Hello, Miz Bear, nice day isn't it? Cubs? Nah, I haven't seen any cubs. Are there any around here? Well, nice chatting. So long.
Not recommended, but they were going west on the trail and I was going east with no detour possible in the canyon.

It's one of those things like spiders in Australia. Blown out of all proportion. Show me stats on grizzly deaths.
--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....
On 3/10/2016 6:36 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2010s
On 11/03/2016 00:37, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

dangers from bears in the USA:
"Bears held captive by animal trainers, in zoos, carnivals, or kept as pets have been responsible for several attacks. There have also been unusual cases in which a person entered a bear's cage and was then mauled."
"Bear attacks are extremely rare.[1][2][3] Attacks are for predatory, territorial, or protective reasons.[4] Most wilderness attacks have occurred when there was only one to two persons in the vicinity, and no attacks have ever been recorded against groups of six or more.[5][6] "
--
Bod

On 03/11/2016 03:54 AM, Bod wrote:

I travel solo so the group therapy doesn't do much for me. I can understand the lack of attacks on groups; they're yammering away so loudly you can hear them from half a mile away.

Precisely, bugger all.
--
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics." - Fletcher Knebel

On 03/10/2016 08:53 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've had quite a few encounters with black bears. Most leave rapidly when they detect your presence although some will just ignore you. I wouldn't recommend it but I have walked down a trail where a sow was on one side and her two cubs were treed on the other. She wasn't happy but I was studiously avoiding the cubs.
Brown bears (grizzlies) are another matter. As Timothy Treadwell found out, they aren't just big party animals.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/11/amateur-photographer-captures-grizzly-bear-chasing-bison-down-highway
If a grizzly wants to dine out on a bison, a human would make a good appetizer.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/in-wake-of-fatal-yellowstone-grizzly-attacks-bozeman-couple-shares/article_2944b5b4-d5c5-11e0-9c08-001cc4c03286.html
One success story, a couple of fails. It's not just the bears either:
https://www.funeralwise.com/popular-pages/yellowstone/
Tourists mistake Yellowstone for Disney World. It's gotten better though. When I was a kid the bears would line up along the road and beg for treats:
http://www.ypf.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&idQ85
Walk around the campground at night and there would be bears pawing through the garbage.
Anybody with any sense hangs the food in a tree well away from your tent. I've been in some National Parks where even the drive in campsites had bear proof containers and you were advised to move any scented items to them. Photos of cars that the bears had disassembled to get at a snack added encouragement.

This page suggests two things, firstly black bears are almost as bad, and secondly, there just aren't that many bear deaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#2010s
--
Confucius say: "Man who sit on tack get point!"

Mr Macaw wrote:

There hasn't been a president shot at in 35 years. Yet, there's a squad around him armed with guns.
Oren wrote:

+1
On 03/14/2016 05:37 PM, 83LowRider wrote:

The squad is not there to protect Obama. The squad is there to protect us from Biden becoming president. ;-)
cheezwhiz wrote:

And thank Allah for that!!!
On 03/14/2016 01:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Let me see... Nobody has a good count but the estimates are something like 400,000 black bears in the US. There are about 1200 grizzlies in the lower 48. Which do you think you would have a better chance of meeting on the way to the pub?
http://geology.com/stories/13/bear-areas/
Also, the grizzlies in the lower 48 occupy a geographically limited area. See that little brown appendix hanging down from the Canadian border? That's wear the grizzlies live. That's also where I happen to live. So don't pontificate on subjects you know fuck all about.

Until they don't. OTOH you need a pretty big gun and a good aim to stop one.
On 10/03/2016 16:30, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There are many ways of skinning a cat. Do guns HAVE to always be your saviour?
--
Bod

I think they still behave like the yeehaa retards in the westerns.
--
Bakers trade bread recipes on a kneadtoknow basis.

And those crimes would have resulted in a death otherwise? I doubt it.
Consider what happens when the criminal has a gun....
-- A fat girl served me in McDonald's at lunchtime. She said "sorry about the wait". I said, "Don't worry, you'll find a way to lose it eventually"

Do you have a lot of experience with bears?
On 10/03/2016 19:23, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

doesn't carry a gun in bear territory and yet manages to survive.
--
Bod

sleeps in when the cameras are not rolling may scare the bears away. It is a friggin TV show!