OT: Guns in America

Page 14 of 16

As you said, being locked up is already disrespecting them. There is no point in punishing them and being nice to them at the same time.
--
Loose or missing nuts. Spank the monkey (Y/N)?

On 23/03/2016 14:25, Mr Macaw wrote:

That would then be classed as revenge. Treat the prisoners rough and a lot of warders would get attacked and/ or killed.
--
Bod

Why have the wardens in the same place as the prisoners? Food should be passed through a grate.
--
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart -- H. L. Mencken

On 23/03/2016 18:48, Mr Macaw wrote:

If only you had a brain that worked properly.
--
Bod

State why you think they should be out of their cells?
--
Gardening Rule:
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.

Our country is safer to live in, you lose.
--
Reading while sunbathing makes you well red.

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 3:43:50 AM UTC-8, Mr Macaw wrote:

.45's have a powerful "kick" The 4 year old must have one hella bruise somewhere and/or missing some teeth

Kids learn from their mistakes.
--
Peter is listening to The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

On 3/13/2016 12:56 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Well, that's the hope, anyway.
--
Maggie

On 3/10/2016 5:43 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What's it to you, seriously? You don't live here, you just rag on things you see to not truly understand. Why are you so afraid of guns?
On 10/03/2016 21:07, SeaNymph wrote:

We're not afraid of guns because we don't have them, paradoxically we actually feel safer without them.
Psst! it's only a discussion. Different points of view etc :-)
--
Bod

On 3/10/2016 3:32 PM, Bod wrote:

Different points of view? That's interesting. It seems to me more like views formed with a serious lack of information.
I once had a poster inform me that asking a breast cancer survivor inappropriate questions about her treatment was a fine of example of British humor.
Just a different point of view I guess :)

Nothing is inappropriate in humour.
--
Mary had a little skirt
With slits right up the sides
On 3/10/2016 4:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What a ridiculous statement, though not unexpected.
Besides, the statements made were not made to be funny, they were designed to hurt, according to the poster who made them.

Why is it ridiculous? Most humour makes fun of something. Tough shit that sometimes it's a group of people you're in.

What hurts a minority amuses the majority.
--
I will not call my teacher "hot cakes" -- Bart's chalkboard Ep. 7G10

On 3/13/2016 7:33 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Feel free to continue to exhibit your ignorance. It wasn't about any group, but I'm sure you don't care about that.

I think you're one of those people who give all Brits a bad name. Just saying.

Indeed. In the UK, it's far less likely that a criminal, or just someone who loses their temper with me due to me cutting them up on the road, will have a weapon they can instantly kill me with.
The statistics clearly show 100 times more yanks die from guns than Brits.
--
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

On 3/10/2016 4:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Good grief. What a load of BS.
Statistically speaking, there are more people here and there are more guns. You seem to associate guns with criminals, and that a very bad assumptions.

Did you not do percentages at school?

It doesn't matter if they're criminals or not. 46 times more people died by guns in the USA, PER HEAD OF POPULATION, than in the UK. That's NOT including suicides or acceptable deaths like killing someone to stop them killing you.
--
The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to hate each other peacefully.

You have virtually banned guns so it is not shocking that you have fewer gun murders. It would be like banning red cars and then saying the number of red cars involved in crashes went down.
I saw a guy from Australia talking about their gun ban and he made the same point but what he didn't say is that the number of murders with other weapons went up and the slope of the murder rate did not actually change that much. The murder rate was going down before the ban and continues on about the same line after.
In spite of what you might perceive from the news, our murder rate is going down too, and we have added a million guns to the pile every year. Every time there is even a hint of new gun laws, sales spike.
We do have a constitutional right to "just compensation" for any "taking" so simple confiscation would be a budget buster for the government. Nobody really talks about that much. There is also a right to "due process" so a proposed confiscation would bog down the legal system for decades. The only viable option is a "tax" but that is a dirty word for both parties and is the fastest way to be shuffled off into the dust bin of history. Like most of these control ideas, it is flawed by the fact that criminals don't pay taxes.