OT: Guns in America

Page 2 of 16
On 03/11/2016 07:59 AM, Bod wrote:

A little of both, I'd say. I've shot since I was eight or so, as did most of my friends. I haven't hunted in decades but I enjoy going to the range. Sometimes I will shoot in matches although I'm not very good but mostly it's a personal challenge. I shoot bows, too, and it's the same thing. How good can I do? If I'm hiking I may or may not go armed.
Then there are the people who purchase a handgun as sort of a magic talisman. They put in a bedside stand to prepare for the next zombie attack and there it stays. Or they'll take a course to get a concealed carry permit but never practice. Again it's their magic good luck charm.
Then there's a political motivation that can overlap both groups. I have friends who are active shooters and have bought AR-15s because 'black guns' make some politicians soil themselves. Others who are not interested in firearms may buy one just in case they will be banned. I listened to one older gentleman talking to a clerk shortly after Obama was elected. He wanted a AR-15 for 'home protection' although I doubt he could identify an AR. He'd heard the word and the possibility that it might be banned and wanted one. After some back and forth it was clear he was clueless and asked the clerk for a recommendation, the clerk was honest enough to say 'a shotgun'.

--
Bod

You must have really stupid muggers. Why didn't the muggers each have a gun?
--
I've been charged with murder for killing a man with sandpaper. To be honest I only intended to rough him up a bit.

On 3/15/2016 3:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The penalty for armed robbery is much more severe.
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:19:32 -0500, SeaNymph

In Florida the difference between robbing with a knife and robbing with a gun is 10 extra years. If the gun is fired, even in the air, it is 20 years. Hit someone it is life.
On 03/10/2016 03:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's understandable ignorance. They've killed all the predators in Britain. Except the Brits, of course.

--
Bod

You've got all those guns and you can't wipe out bears?
--
I went to a drive-in movie in a taxi - it cost me 95 quid.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Oregon/Mt%20Hood/Greg%20%20Mt%20Hood.jpgOn

In most states it is illegal to shoot a bear.

How about throwing bullets at them via a hand held tool that you have to load?
--
Maggie

You will still be charged and you will have to prove that you were in imminent danger of bodily harm. The case might even be harder to make than if you just shot a person. We have a guy here who shot one in his back yard and although there were scratches on the back door, he could not prove that the bear could have actually gotten in. It cost him a hefty fine and a couple days in jail along with the legal fees.
On 2016-03-15 4:07 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why would they want to, I am Canadian, but they are and can be a beautiful creature. I have paddled a canoe past some in a river up north. Oddest thing was when one chased after a car a buddy and I were in, we were a bit faster.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 03/15/2016 02:07 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We like bears; it's the Brits we're not all that fond of. You lost the last two wars and now you're back again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaBGwqxV_g

--
Bod

On 03/11/2016 03:11 AM, Bod wrote:

Talk is cheap :) I don't keep a score card, but I'd say roughly 50% of the black bears I've encountered either run like hell or climb a tree. The others know I'm there and ignore me. It would be interesting to see what the latter group would do if you blew a horn.
The ones I feel sorry for are the ones I encounter on my bike. It's a big thumper but well silenced so it's quieter than most riding lawnmowers. It's my theory bears prefer fire roads to take a dump since there's no brush to tickle their butts. So there's Mr. Bear peacefully hunched down like a big spaniel crapping in the road when I come around the corner. I can attest a bear can do 25 mph since I've chased them a hundred yards or so until they find a convenient place to leave the road.
I had one young bear that hung around an area where I was brushing out a nature trail. I'd throw rocks at him whenever I saw him to convince him humans were better avoided.

--
Bod

On 03/12/2016 01:05 AM, Bod wrote:

Black bears, definitely. For grizzlies, I'd say extreme caution when in their neck of the woods is in order. Two different species, two different mentalities. For most Americans, unless they are on vacation, grizzlies are not an issue. There are only about 1500 in the lower 48. However about 800 of those live in Montana and 600 in the adjoining Wyoming, with a few in Idaho. So, for me, living in northwest Montana, grizzlies are a reality.
A friend once posed a hypothetical question. You're hiking along in the late afternoon and you see a grizzly a few hundred yards away. The bear ignores you and you continue on your way a mile or two and make camp. Do you sleep much that night?
Fortunately, I'm not a menstruating woman so I don't tend to smell like supper. I have sometimes asked myself my own hypothetical question. You're sleeping soundly in a one man tent with a .45 by your side. You're awoken at 3:35 AM by a bear who knocks the tent down around you. What are the odds of extracting yourself from your mummy bag and what has become a large nylon sack without shooting yourself?
I'd suggest 'Night of the Grizzlies' for bedtime reading.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Grizzlies
If you like statistics, what are the odds of two different fatal bear attacks on the same night? There were other people involved one of which was badly mauled but survived.
Maybe it's genetic. Why do people fear wolves? Again they're a creature out of old folk tales for most people. I've got about 500 or more in the neighborhood.
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/management/wolf/population.html
On 12/03/2016 21:14, rbowman wrote:

All good points and they make a lot of sense.
--
Bod

That's what I thought, but the stats show nearly equal numbers killed by both.

Yes. If it wanted me it would have got me then. I doubt a bear would think "I'll get him later when he least expects it".

ROTFPMSL!

I sleep outside.

Same as lightning striking twice?

Do they really? I thought wolves just harmed farm animals.

--
"Do you like Kipling?"
"I don't know, I've never kippled."
On 03/15/2016 04:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

A lot more black bears spread over a larger area with a greater population density means more human/bear interactions and more potential of something going bad. If you look at the grizzly attacks in the lower 48, you'll see Yellowstone and Glacier repeated. Both have significant grizzly populations and both are national parks. Glacier had 2.3 million visitors last year, Yellowstone 3.8 million. For reference, the actual population of this state is 1 million. So there's a somewhat limited geographical area where the grizzlies live, and you pump in millions of tourists.
There are grizzlies in other area in the state, but fewer bears and fewer people wandering around.
Black bears, otoh, wander around town. I was walking down a creekside trail in a residential neighborhood and there was hardly enough woods between the trail and the houses for me to take a discreet piss. There I am relieving myself, and I look up to see a black bear, maybe on the same mission. The nuisance bears are trapped and taken out of town but so far there haven't been any unpleasant events. Still, there's the potential that someone is going to fall over a black bear that's having a bad day.

That's about it. For all the fairy tales documented wolf attacks are extremely rare. A couple of hunters reported a 'harrowing' experience last year. The assholes shot an elk and were too lazy to drag it out so they field dressed it and planned to go back the next day. When they got back a wolf pack had taken possession. I'm sure the story was well edited but what it came down to is a wolf looked up, growled, and they ran back to their car shooting over their shoulders blindly while pissing themselves. No harm, no foul, and maybe they'll take their elk out with them the next time.
There's a fund to reimburse ranchers for wolf kills. These aren't farmyards. The cattle or sheep are sent out to fend for themselves. Coyotes and eagles get the calves and lambs, cows walk off cliffs, and so forth. In other words, they don't really expect to see a full roster at the end of the year. However, if a wolf nails one, it's the end of the world.
The llama people really get upset. For my money's worth the wolves are natives and the llamas are another Latin American immigrant. Good on the wolves.