OT: Guns in America

Page 1 of 16
One day America will grow up....
http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/09/pro-gun-mother-is-shot-in-the-back-by-her-toddler-son-5743279/#ixzz42UXQNnip
Mr Macaw wrote:

As any parent knows, there are many dangers that a toddler can get into and do harm to himself or others. That does not mean that all such dangerous items should be banned. It simply means that the parent should take steps to protect their children from those dangers.

Guns have no use at all. There is no reason for her to have had that gun anyway. Then she doesn't have to take care to secure it. We don't have the problem of accidentlally forgetting to secure guns from toddlers here, because we don't have guns! Look up the gun deaths in the USA per head of population, then look them up here.
--
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

On 10/03/2016 14:58, Mr Macaw wrote:

From memory it is 6.0 per 100,000 people in the USA and 0.06 per 100,000 in the UK. Even at 6.0 per 100,000 that would make it extremely rare to be shot. Certainly not enough to walk around with so much fear that you feel the need to carry a gun.
--
Bod

So have I, but I couldn't be bothered finding them again.

Yes, something astronomical like that.

And I'd guess most of those shootings happen in certain areas. So move, and be in an area with even less chance.
--
What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.
On 10/03/2016 15:40, Mr Macaw wrote:

bears in the USA, so I checked and as it turns out there are on average only *3* per year. He thought that, that justified being armed. I suggested that if you're in bear territory that all you needed was some pepper spray and an air horn to frighten a bear away. I've seen that actually demonstrated on tv. As soon as the air horn went off the bear was terrified and ran away.
--
Bod

Don't bears only attack if you really piss them off? If you're camping and they want your food, let them have your food. Simple.
--
Mick and Paddy are reading head stones at a nearby cemetery.
Mick says "Crikey! There's a bloke here who was 152!"

Sometimes bears are just pissed off that you are there. The reality is, if they never get shot at, they actually become more territorial and aggressive. It is still the 2 legged animals that cause most of the problems here.

Accept the bear is bigger than you and don't threaten it. Move off his territory and let him steal your food. Come on Americans can't be that stupid.
--
"VAT is a simple tax..." -- Anthony Barber, Chancellor of the Exchequer on the introduction of VAT on April Fool's Day in 1973.

On 3/10/2016 11:54 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Evidently you are completely unaware of how beats live. Check up what does occur when bear do attack. They run a lot faster than you can too.
On 3/10/2016 4:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It appears he has no interest in facts. He only seems interested in whining about guns.
On 03/10/2016 04:40 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

He can whine away. It's the whiners on this side of the Atlantic that worry me like Clinton, Bloomberg, Schumer, Boxer, Pelosi...
On 3/10/2016 8:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

It's easy to call out ignorant politicians on their lack of knowledge about the things they whine about. The problem with them is they never seem to stop. Term limits would solve that problem, imo.
People who denigrate large groups of people, and countries, for no other reason than they can, tend to prove how ignorant they are, the more they whine.
On 11/03/2016 13:48, SeaNymph wrote:

not me.
I'm just purely interested in the psyche of Americans that feel the need to carry a gun for protection. I can only assume that it is Americans love\ culture of guns and/ or a perceived fear of being shot themselves.
*Don't shoot the questioner* ;-)
--
Bod

On 3/11/2016 8:59 AM, Bod wrote:

I'm aware of that and that was why I mentioned you were more interested in discussion.

for others.
On 11/03/2016 18:20, SeaNymph wrote:

--
Bod

On 3/11/2016 1:11 PM, Bod wrote:

general statements about things you couldn't possibly know, don't you think?
On 11/03/2016 19:23, SeaNymph wrote:

--
Bod

On 3/11/2016 1:26 PM, Bod wrote:

don't think it's fine to make assumptions based on almost nothing. But, that's just me.

Americans get confused with negatives. The common one is "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".
--
Disk Full - Press F1 to belch.