OT gun silencers

Page 2 of 3
G. Morgan wrote:

You get the stamp first.

Nah, check the various plans on the web.

That is left over from the firearms act of 1934. The same law that regulates sawed off shotguns, short barrelled rifles and machine guns. You need to fill out a BATF form 4, passport pictures, fingerprints etc, let the FBI and BATF look you over for about 14 weeks, pay the $200 (a princely sum in 1934) and if everything comes out OK your local chief LEO has to sign the application and you get the tax stamp. Then you can pick up your suppressor, machine gun or whatever. If not you are still out the $200.
On 5/20/2012 12:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Silencers are considered "Class III" devices which include other things like automatic weapons and short barrel shotguns. The tax is to discourage normal law abiding people from having such devices...

I don't understand this. In a sonic boom, all the sound arrives at the same time, because the airplane, or the bullet makes some of its sound later than other sound, but the plane or bullet is so much closer to the listener that sound still arrives at the same time. And that's what makes the boom.
In a subsonic plane, the sound is made all the time, and it arrives at the listener over almost that same period of time. So you hear the plane coming for 30 seconds or more
With a bullet, the shooter is behind the bullet. The longer the time since the bullet was fired, the farther away from him the bullet is, so any sound made by the bullet itself would be made later and have to travel farther to reach the shooter.
But no one ever said that the bullet was making the sound. It 's the exploding gas that makes the sound. For the same weight of bullet, it must take more powder and a bigger explosion to get the bullet to travel faster, so the noise would be louder, but only in proportion to the speed the bullet is meant to travel. If the bullet travels 600mph (below the speed of sound) instead of 800mph (above it) the sound for the slower bullet should be about 6/8ths the sound for the faster bullet. (Or maybe the square of that 36/64ths, a little more than half) . But the speed of sound would not be a special delimiter. Any decrease in speed would accompany a decrease in sound.
And assuming the length of the bullet is the same, a supersonic .22 caliber bullet would make less sound than a subsonic .45.

HeyBub wrote:

How do you make one? Need access to a machine shop I'd imagine.
--
I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans,
because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time.
On 5/20/2012 9:48 AM, HeyBub wrote:

The BATF agents will show up with machine guns and kill you if you don't pay the $200.00 tax. Ask the Branch Davidians who survived. ^_^
TDD

Harbor Freight often carries an inexpensive Sound Meter for $14.95 and it works as well as the 'scientific' versions costing $100's
A bit educational to use.

If your trying to measure a gun, you need a special peak reading device, or an oscilloscope.
Greg

I'm not really sure what they were trying to accomplish with these tests. As someone else noted, you need sub-sonic ammo to get reasonable suppression and they used supersonic ammo in all these tests (most of the noise is from the bow wave of the bullet).
notbob wrote:

Not necessarily... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895#cite_note-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0&feature=related

Good catch and interesting video. While I'm familiar with the Nagant, I don't recall EVER seeing one in a movie, silenced or otherwise. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

I have also heard you could suppress a Dan Wesson revolver because of the tight cylinder to barrel clearance.

Sounds bogus, to me. I had an early superblackhawk 44 mag. The cyl-to-barrel gap was a tight 0.003". I can't see any production process permiting a tighter tolerance. Anyway, that 3 mils didn't prevent a wall of flame and a deafening boom from escaping the gap.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
micky wrote:

Since you asked, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

The BEST you can do is use a revolver, fold a pillow over the gun, and fire at close range. Sound will be heard but not very far, plus NO flash..I know I tried EVERYTHING. - before internet avaiable research. The best small one I ever made was an empty paper towel roll cut to still longer than a toilet paper roll. Fill the tube with fluffly wads of facial tissue, overlap the barrel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and use once.
I understand there is an 'Israeli' type you can make in the field for multiple use - Uses a series of washers in a tube to provide the baffling, built on the principle ofthe auto muffler
On Sun, 20 May 2012 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

Milk bottle caps in a 1.5" PVC pipe with a coil of window screen in the first 4" is supposed to work but trying it is illegal so I don't know, That is my story and I am sticking to it.
The rumor is a .22 sounds like a BB gun. That is th rumor anyway. The rumor is also that a BX connector will jam down on a .22 barrel fairly well and give you some 1/2" NPT threads that the PVC screws on.
I have no idea if any of this is true.
OTOH this is pretty quiet, even in a stock rifle. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM057-5.html

Yep.
I watched a guy shooting sub-somic ammo at our range through a hvy brl target rifle. It was literally as quiet as those Hollywood suppressed movie pistols. It was hilarious to watch, cuz the guy walked up to his bench dressed like an active military shooting team member, OD fatigues, jarhead hat, heavy leather GI shooting jacket with slings and straps and all that Camp Perry crap, scopes, blackout glasses, honkin big prone position layout pad, etc. We all put down our rifles and watched this guy meticulously lay out his setup and don his gear getting prepared to shoot, thinking he was gonna whip out some big bore long arm and start banging away at 200 yrd targets. Nope! The rifle was impressive, prolly a Rem 40X, with iron target sights, etc, but only .22 rimfire. It merely went "poof", "poof". Cracked me up, but I'll never forget it. Compared to everyone else on the firing line, we could barely hear his gun's report. Would be perfect for hunting squurrels or rabbits under 50 yds. Be aware, I've heard some sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
wrote in message
Be aware, I've heard some sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.
nb
On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:24:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I'd be surprised if shorts would do anything but jam the works, not so much because of the lower pressure but because they are *short*. They'll work in my S&W617, though. ;-)

That is why that subsonic I linked above is good. It slings a 60 gr bullet so there is enough recoil to cycle a SA. It shoots fine in my Woodsman and my 10-22