OT gun silencers

Page 1 of 3
OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come from there?
And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole? After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple times?
I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't notice these things.

This is Marco. I'm a mafia boss. I offed lots of mobsters with silencers. Once you get a silencer, you'll never go back. You dont want Mezza morta, you want em whacked. You cant remove the sound when you do spring cleaning. The Code Of Silence is of utmost important in the family and Chiacchierones are offed. When the time comes for a facia bruta just grab your silencer and get the message job done.
Re Re: OT gun silencers:

I think you are full of shit.

And now you live in a 25 year old single-wide.
Re Re: OT gun silencers:

Very well Steve, thanks for asking. I cleared 1.1B$ on the FaceBook IPO last week. I had expected it to be more, but the IPO was kind of a flop; but hey, I'm not complaining.
Glad to read that you are doing well. You've come a long way since the days when you were drinking 65-cent Tbird from a brown paper bag. I'm gratified that you put those $1 bills I used to drop in your cup to good use and how you now know everything about anything. Keep up the good work. You are an amazing dude.
Take care
Vinny
On 5/21/2012 6:33 AM, Vinny From NYC wrote:

Both of you are posting from a public library. ;)

According to their PR firm, anyway.
There is a Ma Fia's. We go there for Pizza on Friday nights. ;-)

I would appear not. Look at these tests:
http://tinyurl.com/6nj5lrh
....and here is a chart listing real world sound levels.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm
I can do a very loud fingers-under-tongue whistle that hurts most people's ears, they typically reacting by covering their ears with their hands, abeit too late. I've measured my whistle at 113 db. The above chart tends to indicate that most suppressors reduce a gun's report only to close-to-painful.
So, it would appear those movies where the silencer (suppressor is the PC term) merely goes "pffft" are nonsense. OTOH, these are jes commercial silencers, not very expensive ultra hi-tech military suppressors. Also, there is sub-sonic ammunition, which will go a long way toward reducing heard noise. I once watched a marine in full range competition regalia shoot a precision .22 target rifle (un-suppressed) using sub-sonic target ammo. It didn't make much more noise than those silenced firearms one sees in the movies.
BTW, if you see a suppressor on the end of a revolver, you know it's total bullshit. ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
notbob wrote:

Mostly right. Much of the noise in a shot is the crack from the bullet's sonic boom. Using sub-sonic ammunition eliminates that sound.
Suppression of the sound of the explosion that propels the bullet is the domain of the silencer. A suppressor is worthless on a revolver and the bolt will begin opening - allowing sound out - on an automatic before the rest of the sound can reach the suppressor. Where a suppressor is most effective is on a closed-bolt rifle.
My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September 1st.
Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?
Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

It helps protect the shooters hearing. From what I understand in some countries other than the US, guns for hunting are under a bunch of restrictions, but they require supressors for hunting.
Yes, the $ 200 tax is they can get it and it keeps up with the paper work on who has them and other items such as machine guns.

Does it matter?

Same reason there is a (the same) tax on transferring automatic weapons. ...m0ostly because the gun grabbers couldn't make them illegal to own.

NOT just a $200 tax,but fingerprinting,background check,and written permission from a local law enforcement officer. Plus,your state has to allow them.
You CAN'T "build your own" suppressor legally,it requires a manufacturer's license from ATF.A good way to go to jail.
also,you have to pay the tax,etc,and get the ATF tax stamp BEFORE you can take possession of your suppressor.

the noise would scare other game. plus,it may disturb people residing nearby. In Germany,suppressors are REQUIRED for target shooting at the range. It saves -your- hearing,too.

1934 National Firearms Act; it put suppressors under the same laws as for machine guns. same for short-barreled rifles and shotguns.
A good read is Unintended Consequences by John Ross; it's a work of fiction but the author really did his resaearch on US firearms laws and how they came to be.You can learn a lot about US firearm laws and the "issues" from it.
the book also has an authentic copy of an ad for a 20mm Solothurn anti-tank rifle that could be bought by anyone for $200(including a case of 20mm anti-tank ammo),before the 1968 Gun Control Act was enacted. I've seen one at a gun show,and it's really impressive next to a Barrett .50 cal rifle. you can still own one today,IF you can find a NFA-registered one for sale,and complete the ATF tax and requirements,and can afford the high price. you'll have to load your own ammo,it's been banned from being imported.( the gun and ammo is dirt cheap overseas....)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yup. there was an amnesty in 1968 that allowed anyone to bring in dad's old WWII MP44 or "Pappa Sha" and get a stamp. There were a few real AK47s (not the semi auto chinese junk they sell today) and other things like that. Some of those are "BMW" expensive these days because they also froze the class III registry in 1986 and all the legal machine guns were cut off then. If it is in the civilian registry it is still transferable but nothing newer than that can be sold to a civilian. I think you can still buy a new manufacture suppressor if it is in the registry. The freeze was only on receivers (the "gun").
Jim Yanik wrote:

You CAN build your own. One. More than one, you are a manufacturer.

Not true at all. If you tape a 2 liter bottle on the muzzle of your gun with the "intent" of making it quieter you are in violation of NFA34 even if it actually made it louder.
10 years and a $10,000 fine.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not if you get the stamp first. That is, one stamp allows you to make one silencer. To make more than one silencer, you need multiple stamps - or register as a manufacturer.

Where did you hear that? Your information is seriously flawed. You can't fill out the application until you have the serial number of the device.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sigh.
See 27 CFR 479.62
--- begin quote
Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms
CHAPTER II: BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
SUBCHAPTER B: FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
PART 479: MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS
Subpart E: Tax on Making Firearms
: Application to Make A Firearm
479.62 - Application to make.
No person shall make a firearm unless the person has filed with the Director a written application on Form 1 (Firearms), Application to Make and Register a Firearm, in duplicate, executed under the penalties of perjury, to make and register the firearm and has received the approval of the Director to make the firearm ... If the making is taxable, a remittance in the amount of $200 shall be submitted with the application in accordance with the instructions on the form. If the making is taxable and the application is approved, the Director will affix a National Firearms Act stamp to the original application in the space provided therefor and properly cancel the stamp... "
--- end quote
Note a "silencer" or "suppressor" is a "firearm" (as is a land mine or hand grenade) for purposes of this chapter.

Actually I was wrong. You are right. I was thinking about machine guns. You can fill out a BATF form 1 and manufacture a suppressor as long as you pass the background check and pay the $200.
HeyBub wrote:

So by manufacturing ONE and taking it down for the stamp, have you already broken the law? Or can you buy a tax stamp on a non-existent suppressor, then make it?
How do you make it? Wouldn't one need to be a machinist?
--
I'd like to get four people who do cart wheels very good, and
make a cart. -Mark Twain