OT GPSes and altitude

Page 2 of 2

mm wrote:

Hi, I don't know about renting but I have a Casio G-shock watch which gives altitude display. Before initial use, you need to calibrate it. When I go alpine trekking I use it.

Aneroid (barometric) altimiter - it looses accuracy very quickly when a storm front comes in. Lots of Ultralite and hang-glider pilots use them though.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That would only be in low end units. Kollsman was the one who first devised a method to compensate for changes in barometric pressure from standard pressure.

Yes, but you can bet the wrist-watch style is NOT a Kollsman, and to compensate even a Kollsman you need to know ground level, or better yet, sea level adjusted barometric pressure.
since the gPSA knows WHERE YOU ARE, within a few feet it should have your altitude

I had (RIP) a ski buddy who was nuts about how many vertical feet he could get in x time. He had some kind of barometer/recorder. I measure my skiing in fun/yard sales/injuries.
This is a (used) prototype of the first GPS watch (needs a battery and a dusting).
http://i48.tinypic.com/2yvmmw8.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mn0nr.jpg
It'll get you within 100 yards, horizontally, under any conditions where you have sufficient landmarks to triangulate a position, like, on top of a mountain.
On top of a mountain, at night, it's still nearly as good as anything now available. -----
- gpsman
GPSman..Hmmmm.. Do you know where I can get a copy of the Magellan DATAsend CD Rom for a Magellan 315 handheld GPS ? Its the DATASEND I'm looking for, not the MAPsend

Garmin 12xl. Available cheap on ebay. Bulletproof. Accurate to your described tolerances.
Steve

I ve taken mine out to several precision surveyed locations and the Lat long is very close, maybe 1 M, but altitude is all over the place.
Jimmie