OT... GPS's

Page 3 of 3

re: They all have comparable prices.
Huh? GPS prices range from under $100 to over $5,000.
How does that range fit "They all have comparable prices"?

re: They all have comparable prices.
Huh? GPS prices range from under $100 to over $5,000.
How does that range fit "They all have comparable prices"?
reply: They're all quoted in US $ ?

As far as I know...
http://www.bizrate.com/gps/brand--garmin/products__att259--209351-__sort--6.html
Top price - close to $10K for a marine quality unit with a large screen, DVD player, etc.
Even if you just consider the range of prices for "normal consumer GPS's", a range of under $100 to close to a grand doesn't fit my definition of "they all have comparable prices".
Sure, maybe if you base the price on a feature for feature comparison, they might have comparable prices, but that blanket statement doesn't work for the entire range of devices available.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Because it does? Its just like for example most standard production cars have comparable prices feature for feature. A Ford Focus isn't priced the same as a Lexus.

Man, you WERE stupid! Units all over the place for half that. What motivated you to buy a $700 unit? Mine was a gift at $100, and their smallest unit. I'd buy another in a second if this one dies, and I'll just skip it like a stone at the lake and not feel bad.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Likely his "two year" time frame was more than that. It wasn't that long ago when $700 was the typical price for a GPS which had fewer features than say a $250 unit might have now.

It was just over 2 years old.

It was the brand new super duper unit. I was new to GPS and thought it was great.

I used other ppl's Garmins (about 3) and then was given a Magellan 1400. The difference is satellite acusition...the Garmins are super slow. I also prefer the features on the Magellan.
bob_v

Acquisition times for the Garmin Nuvi line can vary from instantaneous to "Heck, I could have been there already!" I can't speak for other units.
It all depends on how long the unit has been off or how far you've moved since the last power down.
If the unit has been off for more than 4 hours, it assumes the stored satellite data is stale and starts from scratch. The same thing can happen if you move more than a few miles from where you powered the unit down, although that is not as clear cut. These acquisitions time can be upwards of 2 minutes.
The longest acquisition times usually occur when both of the above conditions are true *and* you are moving at the same time. These times can be excruciatingly long.
If I have absolutely no clue where I'm going and know that the unit will take a while to acquire the satellites, I'll pull over or not leave the parking lot until the unit is ready. There's no sense in driving around while extending the acquisition time, only to find I've been going in the wrong direction.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Exactly, the data rate for the almanac is quite slow and moving only aggravates things.
TomTom has a nice feature where you can preload about a weeks worth of almanac data available via their management software.
Mike wrote:

garmin. Nuvi series.
stick with the best.

I'm seeing a pattern here ..................
SteveB wrote:

Last Christmas, got my wife a Garmin Nuvi, believe 260W. Works well but important thing was she learned to use it easily without my help.
Mike wrote:

Hi, Garmin, Magelan. Just make sure you get latest map loaded.