OT... GPS's

Page 2 of 3

Good product name. Good price. It will do more than the average owner can learn how to make it do the first year. Nice wide screen. I'd buy it. Don't overthink this. This gps is like a computer. It will do more than the average user can make it do.
Steve

Yeah, when you over think it, the price goes up $20. Damn, went to order just now, its up $20 since yesterday.

I saw them at Costco. Might check around locally and get a deal.
Steve
on 8/25/2009 10:54 AM (ET) Mike wrote the following:

$205.89 at Amazon
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Guess Amazon is still adjusting prices- $208 on mine. [and they charge NY tax, so it jumps another $15 or so.
Jim

I'm looking @ Amazon right now. It's interesting these don't say anything about live traffic update. I do note on Amazon, under the description, it says the model number on the item is a "265 W", but they claim its a "265WT".
I had read b/4, the difference in the models are in the cord, which brings you the live traffic. The description also says it is "traffic ready". The cord alone runs over $100. So, just from reading, its not a Apples to Apples comparison.
Thanks.

Consider buying your unit on eBay (the 264WT appears to be available for cheaper than at NewEgg) but know this:
1 - Keep in mind that these will probably be refurbished models, but will come with the same Garmin-backed warranty that Garmin offers on it's new units. If it's eligible for a map upgrade when you register it with Garmin, you'll get it.
2 - Before purchasing, contact the seller and ask if they will supply a non-eBay receipt with the unit. Garmin specifically states that they will not honor warranties for units purchased at auction sites, but if you have a receipt from the seller's store, you'll be fine. I've purchased 3 Garmins in this manner, received map upgrades on all 3 (within 30 days) and even returned one under warranty for exchange. They never asked for a receipt, but I had them ready if required.
Mike wrote:

Two friends have different Garmin Nuvis and I don't care for the display. One day I was with my friend and neither of us could understand the turn instructions it was giving in a city area and he uses the thing every day.

Did you try the TomTom in the same location?
It's not fair to slam one brand unless you know how the other brand would have handled the same situation.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I did. And at multiple locations. I have been using GPSs since when they only gave you Lat/Long. TomTom used to be the AOL of GPSs as far as their UI. They moved away from that and have been making good stuff for quite some time. I just think the UI especially for prompts is well done in TomTom.
on 8/24/2009 8:08 PM (ET) Mike wrote the following:

I have had, and still have Garmins for automobile use. If your someone has a cell phone, get one with Bluetooth capability.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. It does what I ask of it. I have little experience with other brands, but they all seem to have comparable features in a given price range, they all use the same satellites and most use the same maps.
GPS is reliable and mine gets me where I want to go. Keep in mind though, it does not always know the "best" route. Computers have their little quirks and it will pick the route you requested, say shortest, but that may take you ways you would prefer not to travel. They don't know traffic conditions, rush our tie ups and so forth. As a forinstance, I'm in northeast CT and if I plug in a destination around New Jersey or Philadelphia, it will route me down rt. 95 and across the George Washington Bridge. I'd rather go route 84 and the Tappan Zee Bridge. Having traveled those routes for 30 years, I don't even turn the GPS on until I'm close to an unknown area for my destination. It is very hand looking for those city streets.
Handy as they are, you still have to look out the window to drive to where you want to go.

drive differently than the prescribed route, within a 100 feet or so the unit will recalculate a new route and 9 out of 10 times it will be my preferred route.
On long routes, such as taking 84 to the Tappan zee, I would put in my final destination and then a waypoint such as the intersection of I84 and the Garden State Parkway which will cause the unit to redirect the primary way I wish to travel.
Most responders are correct, most are similar so try to find a store that has multiple brands, powered on and let you play with them.
Good luck
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Do any have the feature, at any price, that allows you to mark an area, say an intersection, as "Don't go there!"?
...Snip...

Yes.

I have a Garmin nuvi 205w and like it a lot. Very easy to figure out without a manual. Whatever make or model you get, get a widescreen unit. The square screen units are disappearing from the scene anyhow, much like it's difficult to find a square-screen TV anymore.
Mike wrote:

It depends upon what they are going to use it for.
Personally, I have the cheapest Garmin they sold at the time (a couple of years ago), the eTrex H (high sensitivity). It was a hundred bucks, and the high sensitivity lets me get a signal inside of my house (or out in the woods in the trees.
About the only thing I use it for is finding waypoints; I mark them on my TOPO software, then download them to the unit. When I'm out in the field, the unit leads me to where the places I want to go are.
It makes a neat addition to map and compass, especially useful when I am too lazy/tired/exhausted to navigate by map and compass alone. Lets me cover more ground that way, in some circumstances.
It will never replace map and compass, but it's a nice adjunct.
Jon

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ .
I got the Garmin nuvi 360. I think it's discontinued now. Two years ago I was stupid enough to pay $700+ for a TomTom. As soon as the warranty ran out, the unit died. Will never buy a TomTom again.
RobertPatrick wrote:

They all have comparable prices. One failure is a pretty small statistical sample size.

Not when you're out $700.