OT Good mid-range printer scanner

Page 2 of 3
On 2/10/2016 11:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I don't need any fancy features such as double-sided, just good basic color and BW printing and scanning. Polite opinions invited.
Good luck with the ink monsters. I bought an inexpensive multi-function black and white laser and wouldn't go back. If you *must* have color be prepared to pay out the nose for timed and/or dried out cartridges.
John
On 2/11/2016 7:32 AM, John wrote:

IME, a *lot* depends on how much you print and what types of things you print -- and quantities.
Inkjets don't like to be left unused for long periods. Carts dry out, nozzles clog, etc. You spend a fair bit of time getting *a* print, let alone the print you are actually HAPPY with!
Lasers tend to be more tolerant of "non-use". Though they can also suffer from long idle periods (mechanisms tend to get gummed up, scraper blades get brittle, etc.).
Inkjet colors tend to be more vibrant than laser (IME). Inkjet is much slower than laser; you'd not want to print out a LOT on an inkjet!
And, of course, inkjet ink is pricier than laser toner.
Most of our printing (and I suspect most of MOST FOLKS' printing) can easily be accommodated with B&W. Those things that you really want to see in color you probably want to see in *good* color! You don't want to wonder why the "reds are funny" or the faces are a bit yellow, etc.
I've kept a Sony photoprinter: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> for the few times when I need a photo (4x6") and the trip to Kinko's is impractical (after hours, busy doing something else, etc.). But, when I run out of "print cartridges" (paper+"ink"), it will probably get discarded; I think the cartridges are too expensive compared to what I can get "up the corner".
I cling to a Phaser 8200DP: <http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-8200/enus.html for printing proof copies of my publications. The colors are rich and vivid, the (solid) ink doesn't degrade over time and the prints have a "magazine like" finish to them. But, mainly, I've color calibrated the printer (along with my monitors and scanners) so I can KNOW what the actual colors will be when reproduced by a commercial service bureau (print shop).
It'll be a tough decision to decide what to do with it when I run out of ink blocks! :<
[And, the "melted crayons" scent when printing is hugely nostalgic!]
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:22:08 -0700, Don Y

From my experience the ram chip on it will likely fail the week after you buy another box of wax. I was involved with 2 of them. Replaced the RAM on one (almost $300 for the "proprietary" ram chip - then the second one also had a ram failure and the customer nixed the repair, so it was thrown out - with the left over wax going to the first customer. A year or so later it got a RAM error again - just as the wax was running out, so it got binned as well.
On 2/11/2016 2:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've had this machine for at least 5 years (using my recollection of when the friend who helped me load it into the car moved away from here). To date, no problems. I thought the disk drive would quit but it's not been a problem.
Biggest issue is ink wastage on power up. So, have to PLAN when I will be using it (silly to power it up for *one* page!)
I'd be more concerned that I won't be able to find ink/spares for it as time passes.
But, when/if that time comes, I would have no problem discarding it -- *if* I paid for it (many items come to me from friends wanting to upgrade their kit), I would have paid "surplus value": plastic $0 tin $0.01/pound PCB's $2/pound etc. The "supplies" being essentially free (plastic/ink having no recycle value)
I used to have an 860. Discarded it when I ran out of ink blocks (cuz I had the 8200 to take its place!).
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 20:54:18 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Canon Maxify MB2020. Id does duplex, but for the price you sure can't beat them. Since the HP8500 Pro is no longer available.
On 2/11/2016 2:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Never overlook local surplus equipment auctions! Schools, cities/counties, businesses, etc. frequently have them! Many bargains to be had!
But, they usually aren't "full page ads in the Sunday paper" so you have to know where to find them.
The local university has a surplus equipment auction every two weeks. Amazing to see how much stuff they "discard": Your Tax Dollars At Work.
Thanks for all the replies.
Interesting about the HP "locking up" for printing. That's what happened t o my HP. It would copy and scan, but showed up a "paper jam" when addressed remotely to try to print. My soon who is a computer geek could not figure it out, and since the paper obviously wasn't blocked or jammed since it pr inted/copied whatever was on the platen, I am going to avoid HP like the pl ague.
Off to get my Consumer reports magazines out of the file cabinet.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:23:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Other than HP's professional grade stuff, they make a lot of fantastic junk. The "phantom paper jam" even hits some of their pro stuff. For as long as they've been in the (printer) business you'd think they'd have it figured out by now - kinda like GM and compact cars - - -

+1 Also they have no viable support on the non professional stuff.
--
Tekkie

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I think the phantom paper jam thing is caused by a torque sensor on the feed stepper motor . Probably a current sensor , if the motor drags it draws more current . No one really seems to know what the cause is and I'm just guessing ...
--
Snag

On 2/11/2016 7:26 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Go ask Muggles, I'm sure she'll know. Muggle knows all.

From what I've been able to pry out od HP support it's an electronics problem - something on the board goes out of spec
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's what I thought . And as I said above , I believe it's in the torque sensing system for the paper feed motor .
--
Snag

Oren wrote:

I just bought the HP 4630 , versatile , in the top ten , and I already have a supply of cartridges for it . Being wifi capable was a comsideration too .
--
Snag

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in

I've had *very* good experiences with Brother printer/scanners -- my first one just died last summer after about 12 years. I have one at home and one in my office; the one in the office is over 6 years old and still going strong.
I've been using Brother ink until the warranty expires, then buying aftermarket ink cartridges on Amazon thereafter, and have had no problems.
I've had one too many bad experiences with HP customer "service" to ever buy, or recommend, their products again. IMO, it's no coincidence that "Hewlett Packard" sounds a lot like "Useless Bastard".
On 2/12/2016 6:24 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Sadly, "HP" is the schlock half of the *old* (pre-breakup) "HP". Their early printer products were delightfully robust! I don't think you could break an LJII or LJIII with a 3 pound sledge hammer!
When they decided to go into the *ink* business, they sold their soul. Some of their printers are almost entirely plastic -- with the electronics on a single PCB "bolted on the back". I.e., when recycling these, you simply snap off the circuit board (it is designed to be removable -- no doubt because that's all HP does when it "repairs" a unit) and toss the rest in the trash (plastic having little or NO recycle value)
I wouldn't mind if the printer was an expensive, robust mechanism and you "paid the price" in consumables. But, when the printer is a piece of trash, it's sort of insulting to then be paying through the nose for "multicolored, liquid cocaine"!
[When folks give me "new(er)" printers, I smile, say "Thank You" and then discard (recycle) them. Nothing there worth my time to repair or restore!]
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 2:16:47 AM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Being an "engineer" I surprised you don't see the quality in the Epsons. Seiko Epson has been designing computer printers for 55 yrs. Getting a huge boost from its successful EP-101, and eventually renaming the company to EP'son. I worked on their printers designed for POS and was intrigued by the watch precision.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 06:19:23 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

In dot matrix,and thermal, EPSON was king, even though Brother invented the dot matrix printer. Fujutsu made excellent matrix printers too - as did/does Oki Data. Oki also makes a very good "led" printer - like a laser but with no rotating mirrors and other complicated mechanisms -
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 01:16:04 -0700, Don Y

Yhey don't even repair them. It's often a mechanical problem - like a split gear or clutch - and if they fail under warranty they just send you a new one and don't even want any part of the old one back.
On 2/13/2016 12:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly. HP had that down to a "science" on their inkjets: one board (the only real "value" in the product) on the back where it could be easily removed and the rest of the printer (virtually all plastic except for the rails for the carriage) can get binned.
"Hello, is this HP parts? I'd like to buy that tiny piece of plastic that holds the carriage during the paper advance cycle. You know, if's the little white thingy about the size of a paperclip... Whaddya mean, you don't sell it? A first class postage stamp has got to cost more than the whole damn thing??!"