OT Good broadband internet?

I'm looking to get rid of my slow dial-up internet connection using Centurylink. Replace it with a broadband service needing no landline ($40 a month). All those - cable, wireless - that I Googled have really horrible reviews. Very poor service and quality. But, as someone said to me - 'you only see the bad reviews'.

I'm not overly pleaaed with my landline so DSL is far down on my list. Also because I would need to retain my landline according to their DSL ads.

Anyone have any good things to say about their or any national service?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

why don't you narrow it down to what is actually available to you in your area?

I have ATT Uverse and am happy with it. Of course, I waited and let others be the guinea pigs while they got the bugs out and got their backlog cleared, a few years back.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Yep, no problems at all with my AT&T

Reply to
philo

That would seem to be the place to start. If you have cable TV available with internet through them, that's almost always going to be the best choice. And typically you only have one or two choices that come to your house.

As far as bad reports, IDK what he's looking at. I've had Cablevision for TV for 20 years and internet with them for over a decade. I've been very happy with the service. Like everyone, I think it costs too much, but at least for me, there isn't a better alternative.

Reply to
trader_4

Ours is DSL thru a small regional tele company . They just upped our speed to 6Mb/S from 1.5 - and lowered the bill 5 bucks . Which went to the 5 buck increase on the telephone . We can get just internet , but down here in The Holler there's no signal for the cells so we have local-only phone service . OBTW , we live like 9 miles from town , they must have upgraded something to support the new speed because 1.5 was the fastest we could get when we hooked up .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've got Centurylink DSL. It's actually pretty good. I typically get

1 meg per sec dwnld. Only problem is, here in CO the added fees are murder. What would be about $70 mo for POTS and DSL is closer to $95 mo with all the added state/local taxes/fees.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Hi, DSL? what is that?, LOL! I have package deal from Shaw up here.

50/3 Internet, 2 phones(one for voice, one for fax) TV with umteen channels most in HD, all for 175.00/month. Cable speed is solid any time of the day. 50 speed is good enough to real time streaming any mulit media stuffs off the 'net. I could go up to fiber channels for few more $$ but I don't need super duper speed. Out at the cabin we pulled money to have a tower erected to have a WiFi AP which does pretty good job.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Pico Rico" wrote in news:lp3p1i$b7r$ snipped-for-privacy@news.mixmin.net:

Forgot to mention; I want only internet, no TV. Can't see paying for TV I never watch.

Cable I am aware of:

Time Warner Comcast ATT (not sure if that is cable) Cablevision (I think)

Wireless:

Beamspeed

Other:

Verison (?)

There may be others that work without a landline. Since I don't watch TV I'm not up on the services available. I thought it would be simple to get Comcast or Neamspeed. Then I looked at reviews.

That help?

Reply to
KenK

I agree. Start by finding out what is actually available where you are located and maybe post your general location and/or the companies that are available to you. Then you could get feedback on those specific companies from others here.

We have both Comcast Cable Internet access and Verizon FIOS Internet access here where I work and we use both all day long. Both work fine and work about the same for us, and we don't have any significant problems with either one. We did go through a period a few years back where there was a problem with the Comcast cable being intermittent and the Comcast service people were pretty bad at getting it figured out and fixed. They came out a number of times, and each time that they were here it was working and the tech would always say "we're getting a strong signal". I kept saying that it may be the cable modem and they kept saying that the cable modem was fine. In the end, after multiple service calls, they just switched out the cable modem and the problem was solved.

I also have Comcast Cable Internet at home and that works fine too.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

Reply to
TomR

Ken,

First, DSL is going to be a lot faster than dial-up.

The only broadband internet I have access to is Comcast cable. There have been a few quirks, but generally I am happy with it. My biggest gripe is the cost, nearly $70 a month. I bought my own cable modem to avoid paying the rental cost, and I dropped the TV service, opting only for the internet service. I get TV with an outdoor antenna, and get phone service cheaper through a company called 1-VOIP than what Comcast charges.

I live out in the country, and DSL isn't available out here.

I live on a mountain, and don't have line-of-sight to access wireless internet (we can't cell phone reception here either).

We live in a heavily forested area, so satelite internet isn't an option either.

I wish I had a cheaper option than Comcast, but the service itself has been fine over the last several years.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

| Forgot to mention; I want only internet, no TV. Can't see paying for TV I | never watch. | | Cable I am aware of: | | Time Warner | Comcast | ATT (not sure if that is cable) | Cablevision (I think) |

You can't win. :)

Cable and phone companies have had consistently bad ratings for service. Service is overhead for them and they're mostly in monopoly markets. While most people have a choice between providers, the choice is limited and the providers don't seem to vary much. I can get landline phone from RCN or Verizon. They both seem to be about the same. We have RCN for cable Internet. (TV via antenna.) I get constant ads from Verizon for FIOS but they won't even tell us what the *actual* price is after the introductory sale, much less what the cost of all the extra fees is. RCN has been OK, but they've also jacked up the price of phone in big jumps. What can I do? Threaten to move to Verizon? Not likely! I actually called the state attorney general's office about these sudden price increases out of nowhere and was told it's not illegal. They can do what they like because *technically* there's competition.

It seems to be the same with cellphones. The small number of carriers try to charge as much as possible while staying similar to each other. I went around to the 4 main carriers a year or two ago, to see about what my options were. Not one could tell me what my actual monthly bill would be after fees and taxes, nor did any have a copy of the actual contract. (I finally got a Tracphone for $10, since I don't really use it very much. I now pay $20 every 3 months for 120 minutes.)

That seems to be the biggest obstacle in comparing services, whether phone, cable or cellphone: There seems to be no legal requirement that these companies actually tell you what it is you're buying. My ladyfriend just got a T-Mobile phone that she paid for upfront. They told her the most basic deal was $60/month, with free texting and data. She had to buy all of that even though she doesn't generally use data and never uses texting. The clerk said the total bill would end up being $65-66/month. There was no printed information anywhere in the rock-music infested T-Mobile store, so my friend had to take the clerk's word on what was available and how much it costs. The first bill came. It was $77.... And T-Mobile seems to have a relatively good reputation.

Reply to
Mayayana

I went with a company called Republic wireless for the phone.

They have the smart phones tht use the Android system. For $ 10 (actually

12) a month I get unlimiated talk and text and WIFI connection to the internet. If I want more I can switch plans twice a month. The phone is somewhat expensive, but probably not for the smart phone. Anywhere from about $ 150 to $ 200 for the phones.

I need to find a way to cut the cable , but my wife is so electronic chanaleged that she has a hard time working the basic cable TV remote/ Two months ago I got my own cable modem and the last bill was about $ 8 higher than before. They went up a dollar or two on some of the services.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We've had AT&T U-Verse about a year now. The first six or seven months it was absolute garbage. Service technicians were here at least ten times. Sometimes the inside guys and the outside guys were both here together! Virtually everything, and I mean everything, was replaced at least once, many things twice. For the last five or six months things have been OK. If this reply jinxes it I'll be pissed.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

| I went with a company called Republic wireless for the phone. |

That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, without enabling javascript they have no website at all.

Reply to
Mayayana

Only the ones that actually have service at your location matter. In many cases, that's just one, sometimes two.

Same with wireless.

Not really, because it's what's available at your location that matters.

Reply to
trader_4

I thought Uverse was land line?

Reply to
Guv Bob

I'm using Verizon DSL land line. Been terrible the last few year. I told them I was switching to DSL Extreme or cable and they offered to cut my rate in half. Needless to say, I'm still switching -- even if $1 a month it's not performing.

Reply to
Guv Bob

If they could get my network printer recognized by the modem I might be happy with it too. I have 6 hours on the phone so far with the idiots at tech support.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, I think you'd be better off for the printer if they put the modem in bridge mode and you use your own (WiFi) router connecting printer to the router.. That's what I do with Canon WiFi printer. It can print, scan, copy for every one on the network. If they don't want to put it into bridge mode, you can do it using DMZ in your router avoiding double NAT issue.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bet I have talked to everyone you've talked to. Some of them actually spoke English!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway