OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

Page 6 of 6
On 5/17/2016 9:22 AM, Don Y wrote:

We have a family friend at Subaru of America and I discussed such durability problems with him.
Pleased with CVT and find it very smooth. See it is available on a lot of cars so hopefully it will hold up.
On 5/17/2016 9:33 AM, Frank wrote:

Dunno. When I think about the design, it reminds me of turning the steering wheel while fully stopped -- it just seems like it is "brute-forcing" the change in pulley ratios.
The drive was... "interesting". You expect the little "hesitation" as an automatic slips from one gear to another and keep waiting for it -- but it never comes.
On 05/17/2016 07:05 AM, Frank wrote:

Fuel flow versus speed.
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:29:32 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

My Odyssey *used* to do that but I've disabled it. Honda calls it Variable Cylinder Management and most Ody and Pilot drivers hate it. There was even a Class Action suit against it due to fouled spark plugs, failing motor mounts and excessive oil consumption. That is in addition to the driveabili ty issues related to vibration, stuttering, delayed accelerating, etc.
Last year a guy invented what he calls the VCMuzzler. It is nothing more than a resistor with Honda OEM connectors that you place between the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and the ECU. It fools the ECU into thinki ng that the ECT is a few degress below the threshold required for VCM to engage. He has worked out the resistance value such that it doesn't impact the fuel mixture curve at low temps or cause a CEL.
The original version had only 1 inline resistor, but as more and more peopl e bought the device, it became apparent that different values were required based on the ambient temperature of the environment. The 2nd generation has a extra connector so that different value resistors can be tested. I've bee n running with a 100Ω resistor for about a year and the only time VCM ha s kicked in was when I was towing a trailer through the hills in 90° temps. The engine would heat up while climbing and the VCM would kick in as I coasted down hill. Once the engine cooled down a bit, no more VCM, so there was no impact on the driveability.
The device has thousands upon thousands of miles on it all across the country and users couldn't be happier. Many of us have had our cars inspected with the VCMuzzler installed and there has never been an issue. The fact that it is plug-and-play means that it can be removed for testing if there is any concern that it is causing an problem but I have never hear d of an single issue and I follow the forum threads on it just in case.
This video is a short (1:58) install video showing the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
wUNWlh1zU