OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

Page 4 of 6
On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 1:36:08 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Absolutely! It wouldn't have been racist. Now you're catching on. Good for you!

That's the standard answer from someone who has no examples to share.

Of course I'm ignorant of your good deeds. If you don't share them, I can't have knowledge of them. If you are trying to insult me by calling me ignorant, you should probably look up the meaning of the word.
There are lots of things I am ignorant about and I feel no shame in telling people that.

My only failure has been in my attempts to show you the error of your ways. Oh wait...maybe you actually have been paying attention and are just too stubborn to admit your mistakes. There's no way for me to know that unless you tell me. For now, I'll just add that to my list of things I'm ignorant about.
On Wed, 18 May 2016 13:36:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Do you believe it's wrong (bragging) to talk about the good things you do for others, as in, that will be your reward on earth... vs your spiritual reward in heaven?
Do you know what I'm referring to?
--
Maggie

On 5/19/2016 12:51 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, that's a major part of my decision not to describe my good deeds on this usenet list.
Also a major part is the behaviour of a couple list readers who don't accurately reflect the simple things I write.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Ok... I thought that might be part of it.

I understand guarding your privacy.
--
Maggie

On 5/19/2016 1:22 PM, Muggles wrote:

1) I sense you and I have a bit in common.
2) don't want to cast pearls before swine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/19/2016 2:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I understand where you're coming from.
--
Maggie

"bragging" so people think better of you for what you do is spoken out against in the bible, but it is not a sin to show people how little things they can do (after all, I can do it - so you can do something of value to) can be perfectly acceptable.
On Thu, 19 May 2016 12:56:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

True. Sometimes, there's a fine line.
--
Maggie

On Wed, 18 May 2016 12:24:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon

But with a TOTALLY different outlook.
On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 9:25:18 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ns.

...YOU are part of the problem, if you were a Mormon follower you would be a better example/person. Look to thyself...
On 5/16/2016 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

One of my friends comments that now days "people are too damn well fed". I asked him to expand a bit, on that. Well, when people have to work for their living, they tend to be polite, and appreciae what they have. When food is just handed to them, they tend to bicker and complain a lot. Gives them some thing to do.
Anyone remember the old episode of Andy Griffith Show where Malcolm the butler arried in town? Andy hired him at the houe. And Aunt Bee took the sick bed, and whined and complained a lot. Opie was the one who noticed, and brought the change to attention of Andy. Soon as Aunt Bee got back to her routine, the house was the cheerful same again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/15/2016 5:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You did. My daughter lives 5 hours away and she does it in 4 1/2 hours. She also has three cross country round trips to her credit. Twice with 3 kids.
Some of us just like to drive. Anywhere, any time except blizzards.
On 05/15/2016 05:29 AM, Don Y wrote:

Strongly disagree!
If I was on your guest list, you'd want me to bring a professionally prepared dish. Trust me on this. ;-)
On 5/15/2016 6:24 AM, fakeid wrote:

LOL. But then what would we talk about?
On 05/15/2016 05:29 AM, Don Y wrote:

In my mother's circle the surest way to become a target of derision was to try to doll up a purchased item and pass it off as your own. Even a cake that originated from a box was pushing acceptability.
While my mother was a good cook, there were the inevitable failures. The family got to eat those while she tried again to produce something for public consumption.
On 5/15/2016 11:23 AM, rbowman wrote:

I used to bake things for SWMBO to share with her fellow coworkers. One day, she tried to pass off my coffee cake as her own. And, of course, was asked for the Rx: "I'll have to bring it in to you, tomorrow".
Except, Don wasn't eager to share his secrets. Leaving her to explain why she 'forgot' to bring it in! :>

I leave notes to myself each time I make something to give me an idea of how it might improve. E.g., my biscotti Rx has changed A LOT over the years (making a batch every two weeks gives you a lot of opportunities to tweak it!). Ditto cheesecake and coffeecake, particularly.
[Ice cream is FUN to experiment with! "No such thing as a bad batch of ice cream!"]
I've noticed that, lately, far more effort is spent on perfecting the process/technique than the ingredients. E.g., my coffeecake is really difficult to determine when it's "done". It's about 4+" tall (ring) so hard to probe the interior for "doneness" (LOTS of sour cream makes it susceptible to being UNDER cooked; over cooking makes it dry -- defeating the whole purpose!).
So, my notes involve more detailed observations of times, temperatures and subjective measures ("how sticky a toothpick inserted into it comes out")
Cheesecake is 5 hours on your feet. So, the notes for that deal with ways of reducing that time. Or, breaking it up into two or more "sessions" (it's hard to set aside a 5 hour block of time for ONE task -- esp given that I don't like cheesecake! :< )
On 05/15/2016 12:54 PM, Don Y wrote:

I like cheesecake but my enthusiasm for making it dried up with 'take a springform pan'...
On 5/15/2016 1:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ah, mine is rectangular -- in a ~9x13 glass baking dish. Very "light" (far less calories than a New York style)
The problem is that the crust takes an hour to make. It can chill while you spend an hour and a half reducing the pineapple. The filling requires another hour -- assuming you've taken the ingredients out ahead of time to let them come to room temperature (cream cheese is remarkably dense!). But, the pineapple can cool while you're doing that. Baking takes an hour and a half -- which you will spend cleaning the various bowls and pots that you used. Then, packaging it (for transport) yet another hour.
And, it's "gone" in a matter of minutes! :-/
I bring one to my PCP around the holidays. His eyes light up when he sees the cooler accompanying me into his office. First one I made for him he was surprised/pleased. When I told him, "Oh, this is GOOD! You can trade it for sexual favors!!" he turned red clear to the top of his head! I've not bothered to ask what he "gets" from his wife for sharing it...
On 5/15/2016 1:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

I actually went looking for a large (HUGE!) springform pan for *pizza*. Always hard to find something deep enough for the pie, yet easy enough to cut and remove slices.
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 4:26:27 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

We make cheesecake in a glass pie plate. The graham-cracker crust is my favorite part, anyway. Graham crackers, brown sugar, and butter--what's not to like?
Here's the recipe. Mary Ellen St John was a friend of my in-laws.
Mary Ellen St John's Cream Cheese Pie
Crust: 1/4 pound butter, melted 16 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (1 square = 4 crackers) 1/4 cup brown sugar
Mix crust ingredients, press into 12" glass pie plate. Blind bake at 350 F for 8 minutes.
Filling: 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature 3/4 cup sugar 3 eggs well beaten 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix filling ingredients with electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. (Make sure center is firm.)
Topping: 1 pint sour cream 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix topping ingredients and pour over baked pie. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes at 350 F.
Chill pie before serving.
Note: 12" pie plates are pretty rare. Before we inherited my mother-in-law's, we used a 10" pie plate and baked a second, smaller pie in a small, low casserole dish. I never could get my husband to try multiplying the recipe by 2/3 (or somesuch factor).