OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

Page 1 of 6
for the 2016 Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, and the Buick Enclave. ABC News article here: http://alturl.com/kgqfx

On 5/14/2016 9:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

If you don't trust hidden urls, here's the original link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/obama-motors-lied-39102319
On Sat, 14 May 2016 10:57:06 -0500, burfordTjustice

The auto makers do their own testing. From the article:
"All automakers do their own testing for mileage under EPA guidelines and submit figures to the agency, which does spot checks to verify the figures. In 2012, the agency found that Hyundai and Kia had overstated mileage on 13 models from 2011 through 2013 that totaled about 1.2 million vehicles. Mileage on one vehicle was overstated by six mpg."

On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:26:19 -0500, burfordTjustice

It looks like it's done in a lab according to this: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml
The first paragraph says:
"Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10%–15% of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory."
-- Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
On 5/14/2016 6:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Amusing in that AFAICT, most folks get BETTER mileage than the data published for their vehicles. E.g., our vehicle is ("up to") 20/29 yet we've consistently averaged better than the "20" in town -- despite the fact that the car claims our average speed to be about 19MPH (over the last 10 months).
My trip to the local library this morning clocked in at 29.7 (no "highway" driving involved)
On 05/14/2016 05:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

According to the ScanGauge my Toyota does better than the EPA rating unless I'm running 80 mph or so.
On 5/14/2016 6:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

We've not yet had the car "on the highway" so no idea what it will do with the chance to "cruise" (instead of the stop-n-go that we experience in town). Hard to come up with anyplace we'd want to *go* that would require any sort of serious driving! :< Might be fun to actually play with some of its toys while not having to watch for the stop sign at the next corner...
On 05/14/2016 07:25 PM, Don Y wrote:

In Montana it's hard to come up with anyplace to go that does not require serious driving :)
On 5/14/2016 10:01 PM, rbowman wrote:

Well, once "out of town", that's the way it would be, here (as you know).
Unfortunately, *getting* out of town is a major challenge from our location (I10 goes south and west of town; we're north and east). So, the better part of an hour to get *on* the interstate (if headed to feenigs)
OTOH, you can do 45 on many of the roads in town -- just not for very FAR (before encountering yet-another-traffic-signal). A bit over 4000 miles on the car -- at an average speed of 18 MPH (I think).
On 05/14/2016 07:25 PM, Don Y wrote:

We have different lifestyles. Last week I took my wife out to dinner for our anniversary. I chose the restaurant. Three days, nearly two tanks of gas and 745 miles.
Next month we are joining friends for their anniversary. Three days, at least 450 miles.
On 5/15/2016 4:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Neither of us enjoy time traveling; nothing gets done beyond changing your position on the globe -- "We'll wait for it to come out on DVD..."
A "special dinner" is *me* spending the day to prepare one of her favorites -- along with suitable desserts. If she could buy it in a restaurant (or bakery), it wouldn't be special -- it would just be "yet another credit card charge".
The same is true when we are invited to friends' for a party, meal, etc. Walking in with something *purchased* is a cop-out -- a few extra minutes on the weekly shopping trip and a few extra dollars. OTOH, making something special *for* them (cheesecake, ice cream, coffee cake, biscotti, lasagna, electronic doorbell, etc.) represents an investment of *time*.
Unfortunately, a special dinner for *me* ALSO requires *me* to prepare it :<
On 5/15/2016 7:29 AM, Don Y wrote:

We enjoy travel. Meeting people, seeing things, experiencing local customers, especially in foreign countries.

I often do the same, but again, it is the dining experience we enjoy. We went to the Culinary Institute for our 50th. This is just one of the restaurants they have http://www.ristorantecaterinademedici.com/ others can be seen here http://www.ciarestaurantgroup.com/

Agree. Home made is the only way to go.
On 5/15/2016 4:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I traveled A LOT when I was younger (work, leisure, etc.). Now, I would welcome a "transporter" (star trek). We engage lots of different people due to our "social" schedules, groups with which we are involved, etc. Not the sort of people that *I* would seek out (being far more "technical" by nature) but often interesting, nonetheless. Thankfully, I'm a "quick study" so I can usually dive into a discussion of some brand new topic/field in short order. IME, people much prefer having YOU ask them about stuff than the other way around...

If the 'experience' is waiting for someone to take your order, bring your drinks, bring you a clean piece of silverware, etc., I'm not keen on it! :> Growing up, "hospitality" was usually indicated by how willing you were to give folks access to your refrigerator. I.e., "Help yourself". (It was always forbidden to access someone *else's* refrigerator without their consent -- you waited for them to GET you what you wanted).
So, when we have folks over, everyone gravitates towards the kitchen almost magically. As if they lived here.

Many of the things that I make can't be found in stores. Or, are of much higher quality/intensity. E.g., I'll make cavatelli (a sort of "dense shell" macaroni) from scratch -- the *day* they will be served. Or, a batch of ice cream ripened just enough to be firm without being *frozen* -- in time for dessert. Or, a unique clock/timepiece. etc. So, it's not like a homemade version of something you could have bought at a local store.
(E.g., my butter pecan ice cream has 1/4 pound of butter in a 2 pint batch: "Wow! This is really buttery!")
At times, it is distressing if the host/hostess *hides* what I've brought (so THEY could have it for themselves -- after the guests have left!). But, I've learned not to fret over this as I *gave* it to them and have no right to decide how *they* "use" it.
OTOH, it can be embarassing when a guest makes a point of asking me what I brought -- knowing it would be something good. Then starts *looking* for it. Esp if they ask the host/hostess about it ("Oh, we didn't put it out; there's so much OTHER stuff here...")
<shrug> Not my problem.
What's annoying is the stranger who will inevitably ask you to make some for them: "I'll pay you..." (do you really think I want to do this for a living??)
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 7:56:36 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not only do I enjoy all of those things, I enjoy the driving also. I seem to have passed that gene onto one of my daughters. We're trying to talk her out of driving 5 hours each way to attend her sister's graduation next weekend. 10 hours of driving for a 1.5 hour ceremony and a meal. That's all she'll really have time for.
Her response to me was "If it's about putting the milage on the car, I agree. If it's about me driving 10 hours, you know that's not an issue."
I guess I raised her right. ;-)
On 05/15/2016 03:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

After you drive 12,000 miles a month for a few years ,the thrill wears off. I get back into it after the first couple of hundred miles but getting up the enthusiasm to start off is difficult.
On 5/15/2016 2:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

When I was younger, I used to like "driving". Not "sightseeing" but driving. E.g., climb in the car on one coast, climb out on the next coast -- with nothing but stops for gas along the way. (e.g., the colorado<->boston trips were 40 hours, start to finish)
Now, I don't have the patience to deal with all the other bozos on the roads, the uncertainties of traffic, construction, etc. "Are we there, yet?"
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 5:09:15 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

Well, it's not 12K a month, but my daughter had to do an internship for her Master's degree this past semester. 100 mile round trip, 4 days a week. Toss in a few weekend trips to visit friends at her undergrad school, trips home for the holidays, etc. and I think she's driven over 30K in the past year.
The (not so) funny part of this is that she's driving her mom's 2005 Taurus wagon. (I kid her that she's "the coolest kid on campus" but she loves that car.) Anyway, before we gave her the car we never used it for long trips. We always took my newer vehicle or rented a car if Mom was traveling on her own. Now my daughter has driven that beast all over New England for the past year and a half. She had it inspected at a trusted indy shop before heading off to spend the summer working in Vermont and the owner said not to worry: "It's old, but it's in great shape. I'd let my daughter drive it if it was hers."
On 5/15/2016 5:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

I can understand that. For us, the first 100 miles can be boring because we've gone most routes out of town frequently. Given the time we try to avoid the highways as they can be boring.
The pat weekend I knew the route from Hyde Park NY to Lake George and the to Waterbury VT. For a change I used the NAV and set it to avoid freeways and toll roads. Took us much longer but we saw a lot more. Took us on roads I never would have guessed at.
On 05/15/2016 07:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One of the things I miss about back east are the alternative routes, even for a short drive. In much of the west, you take the interstate, end of story. There are frontage roads along I90 that I take for variety but you're just paralleling I90 and they are seldom more than ten miles before you have to get back on the big road.
On 5/15/2016 9:45 PM, rbowman wrote:

And, they're (west) just straight slogs!
I remember the first time I drove cross country. Got to kansas: "OK, this is interesting" (I was being generous... flat is anything BUT interesting!) After 30 minutes of that, I was ready for "the next state".
I joked that I didn't dare pull off the road for fear that I'd get back on, headed in the wrong direction, and not realize it until I saw the CO or MO state line!