OT Gettting a used car checked by a mechanic before buying it

Page 4 of 6
On 9/19/2014 2:40 PM, trader_4 wrote:

We used to get the little sticker on the plate. One morning I got pulled over. Trooper noticed the lack of sticker, but the car was registered. I had no current paperwork either. He just gave me a written warning.
Got home and found the registration paperwork just where I put it a year earlier. It was December and maybe crappy weather so I set it aside.
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:46:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"

After you buy the car, you register it and they give you plates.
If you want to keep your licence plate number, you have to transfer your old plates to your new car, so you have no plates on the old car that you're selling. (For the first time, I know my plates by heard Kaddafi 2,3,4. That is KDF234, or 345, or 543, whatever. This was more fun when Kaddafi was in power. .
One that I looked at, I put my plates on it and drove it about 10 minutes, including an expressway. It was the only car I ever drove with bad acceleration. Could barely make it to 55. I didn't know a guaranteed way to fix that. I probably told him what I didn't like about it, and I saw it sitting in his driveway for a few more weeks.
I've also taken my plates off my car to put on the car I'm buying, just to drive it home. But one time, I absolutely had to do an errand. the day after I bought it. My old car probably didn't run anymore, so the question was, Do I clean off the old plates, so they match the clean new car, but then if I'm stopped, it will look like I went to a lot of trouble to not get caught? Or do I leave them dirty?
I left them dirty and five blocks from my house, at a red light, a cop pulled up behind me. By chance I'm sure. He pulled me over because the plates were drirty and the car was clean. I showed him my license and the bill of sale from yesterday, and he let me go. No ticket.
Come to think of it, if I cleaned the plates, how would he know my old car was dirty? Oh well. If he stoped me for any reason and he ran the plates, he'd be madder than when I left the plates dirty, I think.
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:23:14 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

The solution to that is to get the sale agreed to, a deposit, etc on the car you're selling *before* you get the new car. And if not, then get new plates for the new car, which aren't that much. IMO trying to sell a used car that prospective buyers can't test drive or drive to a mechanic is a big problem that is likely to diminish the price, increase the time it takes to sell, etc. Of course if you have a car that you know has problems and that you don't want customers to be able to check out, then taking off the plates would be to the seller's advantage. Which is why it might be a good idea to stay away from those.

Yes, I am no better than my customers were. I needed an antenna amp to replace the one that broke (inside the attic, but inside the amp smelled a little like burning) Solidsignal.com says it has 978 of them! Probably does have at least 200. I ended up buying the same model I had before because it was a discounted openbox item, they said. If it fails too, I'll only have 199 models to choose from. (So far, 2 weeks, it's working really well. I get most of DC stations again.)
If some of the food weren't on sale at the supermarket, I woudln't know what to eat.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:26:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

One thing they can do, I think, is tell if the head is cracked. When I though I blew the engine on the last car, and had to add a gallon of water every 5 miles, more if I were going uphill. I went to a repair shop in Asheville, NC and he put some liquid on a device that attached to the radiator. It changed color which he said meant there were exhaust gases in the radiator fluid. I offered but he didnt charge me.
But I've never taken a car I'm about to buy to a mechanic and I've never regretted it. One went two years without a repair. Most went two years with less than 100 dollars in repairs. That one in New Jersey that wouldn't shift to 4th***. I should have noticed that (because I drive in first, then move to second and listen for the shift, then switch to third and listen for the shift, etc. I think this had no setting for first and I concluded the car had only three gears. But even if I had noticed, I would still have bought the car because it was the only full sized convertible at any price (other than a Cadillac Eldorado t hat I thought was too flashy for me) in 15 counties with a population of 12 million or more.
***And eventually I noticed that it got so hot under the hood that plastic things melted.
I don't ask sellers for details about the car, because I don't want to make liars out of them, or be mad later if I find out they lied to me. So I don't ask and I don't get mad.
The guy selling the car above volunteered that his son was moving to Kansas and didnt' need a car anymore. What! You don't need a car in Kansas? I told myself that maybe he meant his new job that made him move provided him with a car. But it was probably the gas mileage, very low. But I had no alternative. That might have been the car I used to move, separately, two spinet pianos. Can't do that with a small car.
On Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:51:23 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Clutch for a manual transmission, IDK, but it's probably possible to at least some extent, eg if it's starting to slip. BMW has a fault code in the car computer for the torque converter clutch in the auto tranny. By monitoring abnormal changes in speed between the engine and the tranny, seems the onboard computer system could identify a regular clutch if it's starting to slip. I guess it wouldn't do you much good in terms of it just being 80% through it's life though.
I recently got what is essentially the dealer computer software for BMWs. It runs on a notebook, connects to the OBDII via a USB cable. The things they monitor, the sophistication, is amazing. For example, they monitor the condition of the transfer case oil, to determine if it needs to be replaced. It's also interesting how they do things. I've always known that the typical car computer can detect misfires on individual cylinders. I figured they probably used knock sensors to isolate it. But it turns out they actually do it, on BMW at least, by so closely tracking the crankshaft speed that they can tell the slight difference in speed at the exact moment cylinder X is supposed to fire. And not only can they tell a total misfire, but they actually can judge the quality of the fire, ie was it normal, didn't fire at all, or somewhere in between.
With that software, after it finds the faults, the comnputer will go through test procedures to help tell you what's the cause. At one point, it said to start the car. A min later, it said to continue the testing the car needs to be at 60C, "increasing engine speed". And sure enough, my notebook made the car speed up from 800 RPM to 1500. First time my notebook ever did that! Having that software is a huge plus and almost a necessity if you want to be able to diagnose many problems today.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:33:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ROTFLOL. I wanted to get married, but at least there are some advantages to being single.

I have had 10 cars (4 new), 3 trucks and 6 motorcycles in 50 years. My wife has had 6 cars and 2 trucks in the last 30 years.

I'm driving #22. I hope to have 1 oe 2 more before I hang it up in the final parking spot.
On 9/19/2014 9:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If this is the Ed I know, you can list them from memory by year, brand, model, and color.
My first few: 1970 Chevrolet Nova, blue. 1974 Dodge Dart, blue. 1978 Chevrolet Chevette, Red. 1980 Dodge van, green. 1979 Dodge van, white.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/20/2014 7:38 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, I can, but ooops, I'm driving #23 1953 Mercury Monteray yellow with black top 1962 Corvair Monza white 1961 Pontiac Bonneville white 1968 Olds Vista Cruiser blue 1972 Ford LTD wagon yellow 1964 Karmen Ghia convertible, blue 1964 Pontiac LeMans white with red interior 1964 Pontiac LeMans white with blue interior 1970 Karmen Ghia coupe green 1978 Chevy Malibu, green 1980 Chevy Malibu gray 1980 Monte Carlo 1981 Olds Cutlass 1983 Olds Cutlass 1986 Olds Ciera 1983 Mercedes Benz 300D 1983 Buick Regal 1991 Buick Regal 1997 Buick Lesabre 2001 Buick LeSabre 2007 Hyundai Sonata light blue 2010 Hyundai Sonata Candy cherry red 2013 Hyundai Sonata Pacific blue
A good bit of the time I had two cars at a time. My wife drove one, but none with stick shift.
On 9/20/2014 11:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Never doubted you for a second.
I've also had two cars at the same time, which is nice when one is broken down.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/20/2014 11:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've had good results with GM, bad things with the Chrysler Mopar family. The Ford was good, but lost it to traffic wreck too soon to be sure.
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:40:37 -0500, Vic Smith

I did plenty of fixing along the way. Some was expected from wear, others gave out far too soon.
Most GM cars have been OK. This LeSabre was full of little problems. First car I ever had to replace rusted out brake lines. Three of the four window regulators went bad. I never put the back windows down much so I propped them closed with wood sticks. Steering wheel controls did not work. Climate control put hot air out on one side, cold on the other. Reversible if you changed the temperature though. Heated seat gave out after 42,000 miles, but only 2 years. GM would not help with warranty but wanted $672 to replace the entire seat bottom because a $12 part failed. Two sections of the rear defroster did not work. Transmission was rebuilt at 85k. About another dozen small things.
In eight years, Hyundai needed nothing other than normal maintenance. No GM car has ever been so good.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:28:05 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I agree, the insurance beef may be the worst one and running the wrong tag is close. You are better off running without a tag if you are just taking the car home a short ways. Just be sure you call your insurance company and get a binder first. If you have a fresh bill of sale and you can give them an insurance binder number, you can talk your way out of the ticket 99% of the time. Here is SW Florida they might not even stop you. I see cars without tags all the time.
On Friday, September 19, 2014 11:30:28 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Can you even get a binder on a car that you don't own, that you don't have an insurable interest in? That isn't registered? I would think the insurance company would have issues with that.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:48:10 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I was referring to getting a car home that you just bought.
If it is still the other guy's car, he is the one who needs insurance. Liability generally follows the car's owner.. If he wants to put another tag on it so you can test drive it you just become Sargent Shultz. You know nothing. Just be sure he is in the car so the cops have someone to arrest.
On Friday, September 19, 2014 11:57:41 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

K, the thread was about getting a used car inspected, how that becomes difficult if it doesn't have plated, etc, so I thought that's what you were talking about.

If you're driving it and wind up having an accident, it's going to be hard to just claim you know nothing. Especially if there are witnesses to it, like the other driver you just collided with. And I disagree that the seller/owner is the only one that needs insurance. If you're driving, have an accident, the other party can come after both of you. And if the seller has the min insurance or no insurance, the claim is worth pursuing, then they will come after you. As a practical matter, you'd have to verify that he actually has insurance at all. An insurance card doesn't prove that it didn't lapse two weeks ago. And I would doubt many folks with no plates on the car still have insurance on it.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:06:58 -0400, Stormin Mormon

They get pretty serious about not having insurance.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 05:10:58 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

But I know my license plate number by heart. ;-)
I've never bought a car without driving it, on the road, not just a driveway. They've all had fairly low mileage. One Chrysler had had the odometer and speedometer, and it was indicated by a light or led, and I was so proud of myself for remmebering what that light meant that I announced I'd noticed it in front of my then-girlfriend, and alas, the seller. Probably offended the seller who told me the next day it was sold.
In the earliercase it was also complicated by the fact that he needed the money before he could sell the car, because he still owed money on it, so we had to go to the loan company and pay it off, and then he sold it to me.
He too had a strange story. The car was driven by his teenage son mostly, but his daughter and he and his wife all wanted to drive it. But they had 5 cars for four people and had to sell one, so they were selling the one they all wanted to drive. ?? I woudl sell the one they didn't want to drive.
But it too required no repairs for 2 years.

Maybe that's why the car that didn't accelerate had no plates. And then I put him i a corner by being willing to use my plates. Yes, you can't accelerate to 80 in a driveway. (Even if it's illegal to drive 80, if I can get to an xway, I do it when buying a car. If a cop stops me, I'd tell him the truth, if a car can't do 80 I shouldn't buy it. (100 really but I don't drive that fast, even test driving.) If he still gives me a ticket, so be it.