OT Getting rid of a cat

a simple bump or two of the starter before you spin it for real usually get 'em out. We deal with that a lot here.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I dont "shop" for them. I just take those who need a home. Never paid for one yet. a few times I found "free kitens" at rummage sales and brought them home. 5 or 6 is about right for my needs, but I have had as many as 16 at a time. Seems some of them just vanish over time. The next thing I'm down to one or two, and the damn mice take over the place. I rarely see feral cats here except a few toms who come here every spring to get some pussy (literally) ....

Reply to
jw

No, for free.

Reply to
HeyBub

Stray cats survive - 40 deg. weather around here. You don't have to worry about that in George, West or East. Keep the cat around. You won't find a better way to keep the rodents away from your house.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

And where exactly is that? Alaska?

And that's bullshit too.

No mammals survive -40F temperatures unless they naturally hibernate.

Domestic short-haired cats have a tough time surviving -20f unless they're in a shelter (a box or something) that can shield them from wind.

Reply to
Home Guy

I wasn't going to bring this up but I am testing a new server so...........

When the cat I have first showed up, I called the local pound. I asked if they had a service to reunite missing pets with the owner. The girl said that they did not. She said, if I have a stray cat they would come out and pick it up. They would keep it for a week and then put the cat down.

I suggested that I had a picture of the cat. If they offered a web page where local people could post pictures, it would be a very good place where missing owners could find their pets.

Her reasoning was........if we do that then we would have people come down and claim pets that did not belong to them.

Come again? Wouldn't that be better than killing them?

She didn't seem the least bit interested.

Reply to
Metspitzer

So - what?

What's so secret or special about your server?

You're posting to usenet using a new server?

What?

Go to kijiji.com and look up your city (or the closest city to you that's listed in your state).

Go to the "community lost and found" and you'll find (among other things) postings for dogs and cats found as well as dogs and cats missing. There will be another section devoted to pets, along the lines of selling (or giving them away).

The humane society near you might also run a lost-and-found pet website, and there might also be animal rescue groups doing the same thing.

Some veterinarians also host a lost-and-found service on their website, and most any veterinarian's office will have a bulletin board with pictures and notes for lost pets.

Some pet-food stores also have bulletin boards for lost pets and pets available for adoption from individuals and local rescue groups.

What you'll find is that there is no coordinated or universal resource that people go to to when seeking to reunite a found pet with it's owner. It's highly dependent on the local circumstances. Some people resort to the classified ads of the local newspaper, some people just start googling for "lost dog in (my city)", some people ask their vet's office, etc.

There might be some nation-wide websites, but none have the universal recognition as, say "facebook.com" or "yahoo.com" has.

For a pet owner, there is nothing that compares to microchipping your pet. Regardless where or how your lost pet might come into the hands of a rescuer, and regardless how they might advertize the find, your pet will at some point in the rescue chain be scanned for a chip, and direct contact with you will quickly follow.

Stray animals (especially cats) are more adoptable if they are brought to a shelter if they are already (a) neutered/spayed, (b) vaccinated, and (c) microchipped. All 3 can be done at the same time by those that are so inclined to see the animal go to a good home, and if the cost (about $150 for a male, maybe $50 more for a female) is not an issue (for some of us, that's chump change).

Reply to
Home Guy

I made a post to another news group that, even now, has never showed up. This test post showed up right away.

I subscribed to a new Usenet server. Nothing special. I was just planning on testing the server by posting something other than "test post" Nothing secret or CIA about it.

Thanks

Reply to
Metspitzer

I will try Criagslist too.

Carroll County has an official web site for Carroll County and it does have an animal control section, but no lost and found. I may have luck on some of the other sites, but the county's web site would seem like the logical place.

Thanks everyone

It would be pretty easy to make the site maintenance free. Ads could expire after 45 days and you should be able to repost them as many times as you like.

Maybe it is more fun to kill them.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I can almost top that. We had a pack of pre-dead pit bulls roaming the neighborhood. I caught one and called animal control, who promised they would pick it up. That was March 17th. I have yet to see them.

They have TWO animal control vehicles for a city of four million people! Often these trucks are prioritized to assist the police department when the cops run into an out-of-control spider or somesuch.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've got a stray cat that's been hanging around here for over five years. It does not belong to anyone nor does it want to belong to anyone. It will not let anyone come close to it. Friends have two that are semi tame. They never come into the house.

I grew up in the country and have seen countless examples of dogs, cats, all sorts of domestic and wild animals surviving the winter with whatever shelter they can find.

Ever heard of something called a Wolf or a Coyote? Do you think they spend the winter in Miami? They're all around here. I see them occasionally but hear them howling all year. They are not hibernating. There are likely more animals running around here all winter than you have ever seen outside of a zoo or on TV.

I walk with my dogs for close to two hours a day, winter and summer. I see animal tracks in the snow all over the place all through the winter. Where do you think they come from?

Your right, animals won't survive long if they don't find shelter, but they do.

Try pulling your head out of whatever it's stuck in and take a look around. Life goes on and it has been going on for a long time before you decided what the rules would be.

Bullshit? Yup plenty of it.... From someone that doesn't have a fricken clue.

The animals survive because they have the intelligence to do so . I don't think you would last long.

Have you ever been more than a hundred feet from pavement? I rather doubt it. If you ever do get out into the wild open your eyes.

The eye opener part also goes for maps. Try looking at one someday. You may be surprised to see there is more on it than just USA.

LdB

Reply to
LdB